Chances of getting on with a Major....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry.

Anyone who is in line for a Doctorate has learned to spell and/or form sentences.

"I have a question regaurding my future."

"...provided I continue to shell out thousands of dollars to work through my ratings ang forego the PhD program..."

"...I'm trying to rationalize of shelling out $30-40 on flight training, and the furthest I can go is to a regional or small cargo carrier."

"... Thanks in advance for the responces."

Who's this guy trying to fool?

WL

Last edited:
I was that little 5 year old with his nose up against the window in the terminal staring in wonder at the plane waiting to take my grandparents to Florida every year. (notice that I didn't say: staring at the military fighter jets). Some of us actually love flying and have wanted to be an airline pilot all their lives. Not everyone is into the type of flying the fighters do in the military. I personally take pride and a perverse pleasure delivering my pax to their destination safely. Is it a job? Yes with benefits. Is it really flying? Sometimes yes but mostly no. Real flying is in airplanes without the aide of computers IMHO. The 757 that I flew up until earlier this year pretty much did everything for me including landing if I didn't feel like it. (always found reasons not to do autolands though) I would agree that this is not flying but only managing the computers on a very sophisticated bus. Someday I too would like to own my own airplane. Because that type of flying is rewarding as well. You will NEVER be able to fly with your young son at the controls in a fighter. If you love both your science career and your flying career, do both. Become a test pilot for Boeing so you can make sure those fighters do what there supposed to do...make fighter pilots' egos bigger! :Q

mrtoy2 said:
If you love both your science career and your flying career, do both. Become a test pilot for Boeing so you can make sure those fighters do what there supposed to do...make fighter pilots' egos bigger! :Q
Really? DARPA's dream is to build autonomy into combat technology...future fighter pilots will doing what we are doing right now, typing on keyboards in an airconditioned room.

The same guys that think driving a Toyota Corolla is "really fun" are the same guys bragging about flying 121. The military affords even the basic flight "trainee" with a broader range of the flight envelope of an aircraft than any civilian school. I don't believe there is any argument here. It is what it is.

Some will be quick to accuse me of having an "attitude" of superiority for pointing out the "facts". All I am saying is that once you have experienced the performance capability of "afterburning" aircraft, you will not be so thrilled with the offerings of the civilian market ... just a fact. My point is that I don't get the "love" thing about flying 121. If you wanted to race Indie cars ... why go the tractor pull route? Everyone knows how to get around the "vision" thing ... so that''s not an excuse. 121 flying, by regulation, limits itself to the "heart of the center" of the flight envelope. Without sounding condescending, if that's all you've experienced, I can see how you might mistake it for "excitement". Given a different background, with high performance experience, you too might come to the same "arrogant" conclusion. They haven't made an "RV-whatever" yet that comes remotely close to blowing any wind up my skirt. I get more of a thrill at the local go-cart track than I do in a 767 ... and every former military guy will say the same ... though all the civilian guys will accuse us of being arrogant.

So ... this 121 stuff is simply a job ... not a particularly exciting or fulfilling one, but a financially rewarding one given my limited mental prowess and my proclivity to maximizing my time with my family. Working reserve at UPS (3-4 days/month) is about as good as an "airline" job gets. For "thrills" ... I'll chase Mrs. BBB around the house and make those dive-bombing sounds as I seek the "target" (gawd ... what a nauseating thought ... sorry everyone!)

Just another poor slob trying to get by ...

YMMV,

BBB

Last edited:
First, I would like to say I realize I do not post much at all. But, I have been a reader for quite some time and find the conversation very interesting.

However, I was really disturbed by a message that FATAS@ posted earlier.

You Sir, know who you are, and you might just be part of the problem....This is a quote from this bonehead and I am not so computer savy so I'll just paste it here and if your interested you can go backwards to determine just how fat this guy is!!!!

"I could give a rat's fanny about your "love" ... you need to put food on the table, save for retirement, and pay for your kid's college education ... as an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM!"

I, perhaps come from a different upbringing and believe that if want to go to school after high school it's on you. I did just that! I was enlisted in the Navy and later branch transfered to the Army. Anyway, after much work and heartache of my own, before I knew it I had a B.S.

I guess my point here is your not responsible for your kids after 18. Yes, it is great to teach your kids that at 18 they are on their own. Let them think that, and keep your reserve college money close-by and if required throw in the LIFE SAVER and help-em out. My point, hopefully is a lessoned learned.

But, I will not raise my kids thinking that they have their college paid for. You have at some point to give them incentive and let them reach for it.. Even though its taken care of...

Big Beer Belly said:
The same guys that think driving a Toyota Corolla is "really fun" are the same guys bragging about flying 121. The military affords even the basic flight "trainee" with a broader range of the flight envelope of an aircraft than any civilian school. I don't believe there is any argument here. It is what it is.

I don't necessarily disagree. But aside from your 110 hours in the 38, how much time down in the weeds at 500 kts were you doing in your 141? Of course, you could have been an IP in the 38...

Big Beer Belly said:
Everyone knows how to get around the "vision" thing ... so that''s not an excuse.

Had the 121 FS, DCANG (F-16's) lone UPT slot in 1999 for a FY00 UPT start date. Got ding'd for having a very minor red/green color deficiency in my eyes. Flight doc was unwilling to go for a waiver. After more research, the only way to get through this issue was to memorize the color plates and misrepresent myself to the military. No thanks. I'm a big fan of karma.

Big Beer Belly said:
121 flying, by regulation, limits itself to the "heart of the center" of the flight envelope. Without sounding condescending, if that's all you've experienced, I can see how you might mistake it for "excitement".

I think you are misunderstanding "excitement" with a love for one's career. People don't have to find 121 flying "exciting" to enjoy it or to find it rewarding/satisfying. What was so "exciting" about flying that 141 around the globe?

-Neal

PS - I don't find 121 flying "exciting" either. I'm not even sure I find it "rewarding" most of the time. But some do...don't fault them or snub your nose at them for that.

Wait a minute-

You guys are making it far too complex.

If you have to ask the question, you've already got your answer. This business is just far too flaky to be weighing it against something else. I've seen people with great career paths throw them away and chase a career in aviation-with checkered results.

It's a journey and not an end-game decision. There are too many uncontrollables in aviation to assure a happy outcome as opposed to your engineering path that is fairly predictable-not the least of which are the recurring physicals.

If it's a means to an end- don't choose aviation.

If you have a viable alternate career plan, sooner or later you'll be kicking yourself and asking why you chose aviation as you try to stay awake flying checks around in the middle of the night in a C-402.

Regardless of the path that all career pilots took, they all have one thing in common- they thought that what they were doing at the time (with the occasional exceptions) was pretty cool. The nice job at the end was the carrot. No promises about that carrot, then or now- especially now. Choose aviation and you'd better love it to do what is going to be necessary to make yourself competitive with your peers.

Good luck

Last edited:
I agree with UAL78. I too was the kid in the terminal with his nose pressed up against the glass. I had the opportunity to fly for a couple of regionals, an LCC, and a major. The lack of long-term job security has made me into the biggest, "Chicken little" I know.

There is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Rent an airplane on the weekends. Enjoy the $100 hamburger.

waitinginline said:
I guess my point here is your not responsible for your kids after 18. Yes, it is great to teach your kids that at 18 they are on their own. Let them think that, and keep your reserve college money close-by and if required throw in the LIFE SAVER and help-em out. My point, hopefully is a lessoned learned.

But, I will not raise my kids thinking that they have their college paid for. You have at some point to give them incentive and let them reach for it.. Even though its taken care of...

Yeah, I don't get this one, but then again I don't have kids. I took out loans to pay for college, they can too.

Latest resources

Back