• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI scared of 152s.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cesspool One Filthy and its brother the One Filthy Too.
Lots of time in them, prob close to 750 hrs.
Glad I dont have to teach in them, just way too tight, unless you have a cutie female student!

There is no finer aircraft to teach basic flight. Simple with excelent handling for a student who need to learn.

Airway said:
I'm a little anxious about flying 152s, and let's not b.s. each other, pretty much every 152 out there is a pile of sh*t. They're old, they're often not well maintained, and you're not going to make it out alive if you bounce too hard.

As a CFI, I've never been afraid of flying anything that's well maintained. I just have trouble getting into the 152s. I feel unsafe. There is nothing I can do about that. I know the risks of flying, and I know what me and the airplane are capable of. But when I close the cardboard door of that thing, I feel unprotected and exposed. The lawnmower engine doesn't help, either.

Anyways, any way to quell these fears or am I the only one on here that feels this way.
I suggest you get someone to take you up in an ultralight on a breezy day, or even better, a hang-glider. That should put to rest any nagging concerns you have about 152s for awhile... ;)

MFR

gnx99 said:
I flew a C150 (maybe 152?) a few times. It's by FAR the worst plane I've ever flown. I'll never forget that 250 FPM climb...

must be real hot where you're at, or you are climbin out at 90

70 knot climb we get right around 500fpm

I loved my 150. Great way to get around for 5.5 gallons per hour.

Last edited:
Dangerkitty said:
If you think that a 172 drives like a truck then you have a long way to go there junior. Your inexperience is showing.

:) LMFAO no kidding!

Gryphon said:
Iand it sounds to me, airway, that the claustrophobic issue is whats bugging you more than the airplane itself. :cool:

I guess it makes sense. When I think about it, I definitely feel like that's the only thing different than the 172 is pretty much the size. And I'm just about 6'. For whatever reason, the cramped feeling and tiny space in the air...I mean, I can deal with it, but I just don't like the feeling. It's just like those tiny bubble training helicopters. We've got one of those. You couldn't pay me to get in one of those. No way. The mx stuff isn't great, obviously, but yeah...same mx for the other airplanes. I still think our 152's are heaps of sh*t, though. Ours, at least.

In any case, thanks for the courteous reply. Seems like everyone here is quick to jump the gun just to make a quip at someone, to make themselves feel a few inches longer.

I'll stick it out. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Better hit the sack. 2 hours of sleep in the past three days. Love finals week.

Adieu

Kream926 said:
must be real hot where you're at, or you are climbin out at 90

70 knot climb we get right around 500fpm

I don't know what kind of 152 you fly, hotshot. I sure as hell don't get those kind of numbers. And it sure hasn't been hot here, lately.

Nindiri said:
I like the Tomahawk. I just don't look back at the tail during stalls or spins. My motto: what I can't see won't hurt me.
hey,
Piper copied the Beech Skipper, almost exactly. The bean counters decided that there were too many ribs in the wing cutting into the profits. Solution, get rid of a bunch of those expensive ribs. Result? The wing could deform enough during a spin causing difficulty exiting the spin. Stay away from the Trauma-Hunk.
PBR

Latest resources

Back