• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI scared of 152s.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I fly a 152 and feel like I'm in a heavy when I see these guys flying around Tampa Bay in their ultralights. At least I don't have to leave my flight bag in the car to be under weight limits.

If you want to see a really nice cockpit on a 150, check this out ... http://darkroomwebdesign.com/FlyMesquiteAviation/322-2.jpg

I trained in her at HQZ (Mesquite, TX). She rented at $50p/h wet, but that was a year ago. She's IFR and has GPS. Flew slow as hell, but that just gave me longer to appreciate the Dallas skyline (much to the dismay of SWA pilots coming into DAL).

I was talking to another student and he told me that he personally knows a guy who moved over 450 pounds of luggage with a 152!

(He was busy reading a map and taxied into a baggage cart! ^_^)

Waldom said:
Like any airplane, the Cessna 152 has limitations. Because it is a light airplane, it has lots of them. The design has proven to be well suited to the role it was meant for, but there's nothing wrong with just not liking the airplane.
Great statement. It is what it is, and it will never be "everything to everybody" as a trainer. But it gets the job done for many folks. Maintenance is another issue entirely - bad MX can plague any airplane so it's not fair to judge the type by the MX condition of the examples that you are flying.

I did my Private in a 152, and later flew aerial photography in them for a little while. Even flew one in some challenging IFR on occasion (yes, it was IFR equipped and certified). It was a good primary trainer, but a lousy IFR ship!:erm:

dseagrav said:
I was talking to another student and he told me that he personally knows a guy who moved over 450 pounds of luggage with a 152!

(He was busy reading a map and taxied into a baggage cart! ^_^)

The baggage cart won

Commuter

skiandsurf said:
...I tell you a plane, trainer plane, that scares me is the Tomahawk. Go do stalls in a Tomahawk and look back at the tail shaking. You will go right back to the airport to land, and then run away from that pos.

I did all my private training and CFI spin training in a Tomahawk. It's a great plane ... until you take it for granted. If you respect the plane, it will treat you right. BTW, the tail does wiggle a bit in a spin too. Creepy.

I did some training in a 152 shortly after the Tomahawk. What a world of difference! The 152 really is a docile plane with great stall/spin recovery characteristics. The only thing I don't like about the 152 (and the T-hawk for that matter) is that stuffing my 6'2", 220 lb frame into that right seat just doesn't work well.

Murdoughnut said:
Flew slow as hell, but that just gave me longer to appreciate the Dallas skyline (much to the dismay of SWA pilots coming into DAL).

That is something I have never been able to understand. I used to work for an FBO that had a flight school. We had three 152s. One would cruise at about 90 knots, but was extremely stable in flight. One would cruise at 107. The third one was fairly normal. All the students wanted to fly the fast one on the x-countries. The problem was, the fast one would get around the trip so fast, they always had to fly another X-C to get the minimum time in. I kept telling them they needed to take the slow one so they knew they wouldn't have to make another trip. Nope, the fast one almost always went. The owner loved it.

Beautiful panel by the way.

Latest resources

Back