CFI scared of 152s.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airway,

I love those little airplanes, One of the finest mounts to come from Kansas. I personally feel that its one of the funnest airplane built. I have built and restored several airplane including 150/52's they are fine airplanes. I an asure you that they are well built.
Also lawnmover engines?, the O-235 and O-200 are bullet proof engines. the only thing that could harm one is negelect. bacis maitenance that engine will run well over TBO.

Dont take this the wrong way but if you are concerned about flying something you consider a death trap. I would suggest another career choice. Barber College?

Warmest Regards
RoundMotor

Airway said:
I'm a little anxious about flying 152s, and let's not b.s. each other, pretty much every 152 out there is a pile of sh*t. They're old, they're often not well maintained, and you're not going to make it out alive if you bounce too hard.

Anyways, any way to quell these fears or am I the only one on here that feels this way.

Dude, that's like being afraid of a tricycle!

The only time I've ever been scared in an airplane was in a 150152. I will not teach in one. But, of course that's in Colorado where the little power plant feels much, much smaller. I have no problem with them at sea level airports.

Jesus. You guys are a hot bunch. I guess not all 152s are like ours. Kind of figured most of them were because we have several that are all the same.

In any case, for whatever reason, I didn't think the Cub was scary. I thought that was fun. Or the Citabria. Felt fine in all of those. It's really just the 152. But whatever, I guess it doesn't matter. Since all of you Chuck Yeagers out here know how it's done and I should probably just cut up my certificates because I apparently don't.

Shouldn't have asked.

I was told by an engine overhaul facility owner that the engine in the 152 was designed for a 3000 hour TBO. The FAA or insurance or somebody wouldn't let them publish that. A 152/150 is smaller than a 172, but if your 152 is getting bad maintenance so will your 172/Cirrus/Bonanza/Baron/Kingair/Citation/Falcon/747/Spaceshuttle/Volkswagon, if you're getting the maintenance done at the same place. Bad maintenance isn't the fault of an old aircraft.

Ah, the almighty C152, I learned in a C152 and still love that plane to this day. (N5357p) I have had plenty of scary moments in C152's but they have never failed me.
If the school's maintenance is so shabby, why do you continue to fly for them?

I flew a C150 (maybe 152?) a few times. It's by FAR the worst plane I've ever flown. I'll never forget that 250 FPM climb...

I soloed in a Tomahawk, and have done numerous spins in them. Never had an issue. I can't recall how many turns, but I'm pretty sure I let it fully develop. No big deal, just interesting. (Enters the spin easily, and needs proper proper recover techniques.) Releasing pro-spin inputs don't get you anything. You guys that have only spun 150's and 172's are missing out on a fun experience. The PA-38 never bothered me. It was a lot more stressful the first time I spun a T-6. (That's an airplane that will get your attention.)

ReportCanoa said:
I didn't care for the 172 after flying the 152. It's (the 152) a better training platform for a student and doesn't drive like a truck.
If you think that a 172 drives like a truck then you have a long way to go there junior. Your inexperience is showing.

I'm doing my primary training in the 152, and it sounds to me, airway, that the claustrophobic issue is whats bugging you more than the airplane itself. Mx issues are nothing to fool around with, and i feel safe in all 4 of the 152s at my school simply because i help to repair them, and i make sure to go over the complaints and do what i can to repair them.. I KNOW they are safe. My friend who is the A&P IA at the school is a good teacher and is showing me all he can, especially when it comes to under the panel work, which he dislikes.. (he's got a bit of a belly, and is much older than i) I've flown the 172 (another friends) and i have to agree, the thing handles like a truck. Also a Warrior, which i really liked, an Arrow, And a Seneca.. No Beech aircraft tho..:crying: Did get a ride in a friends A36... all i can say is i wish i had money ! I hope you can work through your issues with the plane, as long as they are maintained properly, you won't have a problem. I also hope your flight school gets its act together regarding the mx issues before somebody gets hurt..unless thats part and parcel of the uneasiness you feel. Btw, i haven't done any spins yet, tho i'm looking forward to them. :cool:

Latest resources

Back