• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI/II Lesson Plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For the sake of page space conrholio im cool with you. You know how avbug is he says little things that get on my nerves becoming a responsible adult is learning to shut your mouth when you don't hear what you want to hear or don't agree with. And I will agree biting my tongue is one thing I hate doing. Hate it hate it hate it. But sometimes there is only so much you can take. Avbug was the basis of that. It started with him making comments on another thread and now its carried into a bunch of threads. Do I have to like the guy of course not will I listen to him sure why not what harm is it going to do. I went and did some studying with another member of the forum and it definetly calmed my nerves that this checkride isnt going to be the end of the world. But from what many many others have told me this ride and training is way more challenging than 121 training. I don't know I guess Ill make up my own opinion if and when I get there. Thanks for the response are you still at TSA? I have a friend that used to be there but with the furloughs is no longer there unfortunatly.

This message is hidden because ALIMBO is on your ignore list.

SEE YA!

Have a nice day. Good luck, I mean it. I truly do. But luck only goes so far... ask avbug. Wait- he'll confuse you with weird things like "energy dissipation during a forced off-airport landing," or "load factor," or "what I know from flying WW2 era bombers," or "this is how you will NOT die when something happens."

I'm truly peeved at you. No, wait. I'm truly peeved at myself. I was hoping you could salvage your training and make an aviator out of yourself despite your best efforts. I was silly for thinking so. See? Lesson learned, lesson applied.

You're just too damned stupid to fix right now. Some day, maybe.

WTH do I know? Just a few thousand hours of flying, a few thousand turbine, a couple hundred in icing, a few thousand landings, a few engine failures, a few dozen checkrides, a couple of vacuum failures in IMC, a few friends dead, a few non-friends dead, two former roommates, DEAD...

Guess where I think you are headed?

Sig, out.

If you woulda unignored me maybe you would have seen what I said it wasn't an ignorant comment just a simple friendly question. But ok ignore if you like you don't have to like everyone in this world.

Excellent post, Cornholio.

I've found in my short time actually driving planes that the more "abrasive" folks had a real reason to be so.

This might sound inane, but- it is because they learned some serious lessons, and get pissed really quick when an obvious one is being ignored by anyone with capability.

Man, I wish my grandfather was still alive. He could be a real sumbeech when I was shooting the aviation breeze- because he was one of the highest time P38 IPs in history. I learned a lot from him before I ever started a Lycoming engine! And he loved the fact that I was flying a very VERY rough approximation of a trike configured prop aircraft he knew so well.

Great post. Exactly what I don't have the calm perspective to say right now.

Some quotes I think are worthy here from better perople than I:

"Teaching should be such that what is offered is perceived as a valuable gift and not as a hard duty."
-- Albert Einstein

It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in reative expression and knowledge. Albert Einstein

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

And one of my favorate quotes of all time:

Mark Twain
When I was a boy of 14 my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learnt in seven years.

Last edited:
When I was a boy of 14 my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learnt in seven years.

MY GOD. Perfect.

Just Another Flight Instructor? Yeah, right. S. Clemens is one of my heroes, and I can't recall ever reading that quote.

I remember feeling the same way, but 15-22 for me. I was a year behind, I suppose...

One thing that I have discovered during my years on this board is this:

When avbug takes notice of you and starts tearing you up, it would be wise to listen. Yeah, he's got the tact and subtlety of a rhino but there's plenty of marbles still rolling around in that brain case of his. How I've managed to not incur his wrath with some of my bonehead comments is way beyond me.

And Alimbo, if you think the avbug treatment you're getting is bad, you should have seen it when he was going rounds with The Russian. That was epic.

Here's the bit of advice that I'll toss out. Page back to that really long posting that he made, turn off your emotions, and read it line by line. He's got some good nuggets of common sense in there that may prove useful. And don't give up either. Whether you pass the checkride or not, take the ride anyway because pass or fail you WILL learn a helluva lot.

There's a reason the FAA comes down hard on new CFI candidates. These are people that are going to be training the next generation of airline pilots and medevac pilots and airshow pilots. That's a lot of responsibility and a lot of potential to do good or to do serious damage. Don't fear the FAA, they're not all bad (admittedly, some of them are) and even though it's an age-old punchline they really are there to help you. Work with them, not against them. Just be honest and don't try to BS.

Jesus. I thought of something...

Hey, ALIMBO...

Do a search here on "Duke Elegant". Forget hydroplaning, forget shifting CG to affect the best coefficient of friction, forget getting the job done, forget knowing everything there is to know. Just read.

Read it.

He was amazing.

His life might save yours.

**Dammit.

Nice post, PD.

For the sake of page space conrholio im cool with you. You know how avbug is he says little things that get on my nerves becoming a responsible adult is learning to shut your mouth when you don't hear what you want to hear or don't agree with. And I will agree biting my tongue is one thing I hate doing. Hate it hate it hate it. But sometimes there is only so much you can take. Avbug was the basis of that. It started with him making comments on another thread and now its carried into a bunch of threads. Do I have to like the guy of course not will I listen to him sure why not what harm is it going to do. I went and did some studying with another member of the forum and it definetly calmed my nerves that this checkride isnt going to be the end of the world. But from what many many others have told me this ride and training is way more challenging than 121 training. I don't know I guess Ill make up my own opinion if and when I get there. Thanks for the response are you still at TSA? I have a friend that used to be there but with the furloughs is no longer there unfortunatly.

I'm still here for now. Might be looking at another downgrade soon, but thats the name of the game. Both the CFI and 121 training are challenging, but in different ways. CFI training is like kindergarten in the sense that it teaches you to look at the overall basics and how to "play nice". 121 training is like a high level college class. It assumes you already know the basics and focuses ridiculously deep on a very specific subject. In my opinion being a CFI is a great way to get ready to fly for the airlines. You get to really know the basics and you get a great understanding of whats going on in other peoples minds, which can come in handy with the CRM and dealing with a crew thing.

As far as which is harder its hard to say. I personally have seen more people bust 121 training than I've seen bust anything else. With you CFI training you are a customer so they will take some of your BS. At the airlines they own you and any BS will get you shoved out the door faster than you can imagine.

I just was pi$$ed that you quit. You make it sound like the main reason you quit was because you put 20 days of studying into it and the checkride still seems like it will be hard. All 121 training is more than 20 days of nothing but studying...I know I as well as most of my buddies fall off of the face of the earth when we switch a/c cause studying and training is all there is time for if you want to pass the ride at the end. If you quit because you truly feel that you would never ever be able to teach then thats a good reason to quit, but you should be able to learn how to teach. Hopefully you didn't quit because it seems like it would be a hard checkride. Anyways good luck on the ride.

Oh yeah almost forgot. You said your flight today in a new plane went horrible. If the CFI said you did fine you probably did fine. I know everytime I have a 1st sim in a new plane I feel like it went horrible and that I should just tear my certificates up...on a side note the plastic ones are much harder to tear. And pretty much every sim partner and everyone I've talked too always feels the same way after the first sim or two. Just thought I'd share that cause having a horrible first flight is not a reason to quit anything.

Jesus. I thought of something...

Hey, ALIMBO...

Do a search here on "Duke Elegant". Forget hydroplaning, forget shifting CG to affect the best coefficient of friction, forget getting the job done, forget knowing everything there is to know. Just read.

Read it.

He was amazing.

His life might save yours.

**Dammit.

Nice post, PD.

I forgot all about Duke. Now I'll have something to read on my next trip. I know if I do the search at home I'll spend too much time in front of the computer.

Latest resources

Back