• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI/II Lesson Plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why the sudden change of heart? Just a few days ago you were pretty confidant, now you seem to have given up. are you quiting aviation all together? Whats your next step if you don't pass the ride?

ALIMBO-

Did you read avbug's post carefully? He's (albeit begrudgingly) giving you encouragement in there.

Much like it is more important to be a gracious guest than a gracious host, if you can take advice (and criticism) and use it you have started becoming a career student.

And that, really, is all we are.

*** HIGH WIND ADVISORY ***

It seems you're going to take a break at the very least. It's pretty lame to get up to the verge of a checkride and bang out, unless you know there's a real threat to your success... So, man up. I said it before: Head down, study hard, learn a little, and talk even less. Avbug's a very real, very valuable resource that you frittered away with a shabby comment or two (dozen); so here's a freebie: DON'T ALIENATE RESOURCES EVER AGAIN.

Be humble when it counts- a mega senior 767I captain once told me, "Never pass up an opportunity to STFU. You'll go a lot farther. But never pass up an opportunity to say the right thing, either." When you have a wet commercial ticket, the opportunities to be humble present themselves quite often.

You've been knocked down a peg or two, and that's a good start. Man up and get back to work, or just keep flying as a hobby.

Last edited:
A lesson:

This one guy drove the rattiest, smelliest, smokiest little rustbucket pickup to the airport. He dressed in cuttoffs and tee-shirts. He was always smiling. So instead of being like the other annoying CFIs that clustered around corporate fellas trying to endear themselves, I just started talking to the guy who got out of the pickup truck.

Just to shoot the breeze. Just to say "Hey, look at that DC-9..."

I was getting turbine time in ONE of his planes two days later and having a blast.

Opportunities...

Last edited:
Why the sudden change of heart? Just a few days ago you were pretty confidant, now you seem to have given up. are you quiting aviation all together? Whats your next step if you don't pass the ride?

The day I quit aviation is the day the AME says I can't pass my medical exam. I'm confident on the CFII ride. The CFIA well thats a whole new story. I took my first flight in the 172RG yesterday and even though my instructor said I did just fine I believe it was a horrible flight. His honest opinion was this "it was your first flight in that airplane ever and you havent done commercial maneuvers since August you did just how I expected and it was fine." Well in my opinion just because I have never flown the plane at all doesn't mean thats an excuse for the way I performed. Neither is the fact that I haven't done the Commercial Maneuvers since August an excuse either. The more frustrating part of the flight was trying to teach simple ground ref maneuvers. Are you kidding me all you have to do is fly the maneuver and explain what your doing. Not the most difficult thing to do. Well to me it was like learning to fly all over again. Long story short I'm not getting out of flying Im guna pass the CFII and try to pass the CFIA if I do well thats great. If not Ill just instruct instrument students if I'm given the opportunity. I'm going to probably go for my MEI also unless I majoryly suck at that also. So I'll find ways to build time whats the ruch anyways there isn't going to be any sort of hiring for at least a few years anyways.

ALIMBO-

Did you read avbug's post carefully? He's (albeit begrudgingly) giving you encouragement in there.

Much like it is more important to be a gracious guest than a gracious host, if you can take advice (and criticism) and use it you have started becoming a career student.

And that, really, is all we are.

*** HIGH WIND ADVISORY ***

It seems you're going to take a break at the very least. It's pretty lame to get up to the verge of a checkride and bang out, unless you know there's a real threat to your success... So, man up. I said it before: Head down, study hard, learn a little, and talk even less. Avbug's a very real, very valuable resource that you frittered away with a shabby comment or two (dozen); so here's a freebie: DON'T ALIENATE RESOURCES EVER AGAIN.

Be humble when it counts- a mega senior 767I captain once told me, "Never pass up an opportunity to STFU. You'll go a lot farther. But never pass up an opportunity to say the right thing, either." When you have a wet commercial ticket, the opportunities to be humble present themselves quite often.

You've been knocked down a peg or two, and that's a good start. Man up and get back to work, or just keep flying as a hobby.

Ive been in the books for the past 20 or so odd days straight. Only breaks I've been taking are food and sleep. This weekend is rough I've been studying a lot lately. I'm going to at least try the checkride no sense not ever seeing if you could have done it. But sometimes some people are meant to do certain things in life my calling is aviation. Is my calling being a flight instructor well now were going to just have to wait a week to find out. That is if the damn FAA ever calls me for a checkride.

Just watch out for those ice patches on the concrete....don't want to get a concussion right before your checkride.

I give up.

I have no earthly idea why I invested a few calories typing, because I clearly went wide on giving you the benefit of the doubt. I had no idea your tussle was going on in another thread, and your CRI is chronic, not acute. (Cranio-Rectal Inversion)

I thought you were "getting it."

You aren't. You won't. And sadly, for someone who claims their calling is this game, you probably never will.

Hello, ignore list!

As I told a former boss when I quit after being pushed a little too far (whom I was working for when I spoke my signature line):

"When you kill yourself in an airplane, make sure you're alone. "

It was prophetic. He's a quadraplegic now- but he did that on the way to the plane before he flew it hammered on whiskey. I'd bet your answer will be just as colorful and sophomoric as his was.

AMF.

*You failed to adopt and utilize the freebie lesson from a few posts ago... You will not learn until you grow the heck up, if you don't make a smoking hole somewhere in IMC because your "knack" will save you from that silly severe icing pirep...

Last edited:
Alimbo

First of all I've been on here for a while now, and know that Avbug has made lots of enemies. I have also read a lot of what he has said over the years and find that most of the stuff he says is at least semi-useful. The really long post that he just wrote you is worth more than the 4 grand you dropped on your CFI stuff...but it is up to you to listen to it.

I've been reading your crap for about a year now I think. I also think I remember seeing on here that you wanted to fly at TSA. I will say this right now... I hope I never have to share a cockpit with you. Although I doubt I have to worry about that since you quit after 20 days of studying for your CFI there is no way you will make it thru 121 training. Your attitude is horrible. You need to grow a pair and grow up. You give me the impression that when it hits the fan if I'm flying with you I will look over to my right and see a ghost, and that is why I don't want to share a cockpit with you.

Heres the deal and why I'm being kinda harsh. I've been there and done that....and so have pretty much everyone else thats responded to you. It took me almost 6 months to get my CFI. And I did it at the same time as going to college full time and working part time at the school to help pay for my CFI. I spent so many late nights looking stuff up and typing up lesson plans and other stuff for my "CFI binder" that my fingers were almost bloody. In order to pass this ride you have to put work into it.

So you think you're gonna suck at teaching...you probably will, but that will get fixed. I know I sucked at first, but you learn and get better. By the time I left central FL I had guys driving over 2 hours just to do a few lessons with me cause somehow I was able to take a look at them tell them how to fix stuff, and then send them back to their original CFI's. However my first 5 students probably should have got a half price discount cause I was still learning the ropes. I only got better because I learned as much or more than my student did each flight for the first few months. The only reason I got better was because I always had the attitude that my students deserved the best and I was gonna do what it took to give them the best.

Then I got my fist 121 job. Holy crap was it a change in pace. The training was like trying to drink from a fire hose and made my CFI training seem like kindergarten. But with a good attitude I was able to get thru it. Also I have seen first hand guys with crap attitude fail out just cause they are too cocky to get help or they are so cocky that it was hard for them to find someone to give them help.

Now its time for IOE and line flying. Lets face it. Actually flying is like 5% of the job. 45% of the job is "not crashing airplanes" and the other 50% is all about attitude...towards yourself, the other crew members, pax, etc. With the attitude you have now you will get no where. In order to make it anywhere in aviation you must change your attitude. You must be humble and confident, but not cocky...or at least those are the best words I can think of right now.

I'm sure you think I'm a dick and are gonna quote me and come back with some cocky remark and thats cool. I hope one day you grow a pair and grow up. Change you attitude and I'll be more than happy to share a cockpit and some beers on the overnight with you. Until then though have fun quitting anything hard.

Latest resources

Back