• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI/II Lesson Plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I forgot all about Duke. Now I'll have something to read on my next trip. I know if I do the search at home I'll spend too much time in front of the computer.

I have his entire posts in .doc format. PM me if you want. I will be happy to distribute.

I just was pi$$ed that you quit. You make it sound like the main reason you quit was because you put 20 days of studying into it and the checkride still seems like it will be hard. All 121 training is more than 20 days of nothing but studying...I know I as well as most of my buddies fall off of the face of the earth when we switch a/c cause studying and training is all there is time for if you want to pass the ride at the end. If you quit because you truly feel that you would never ever be able to teach then thats a good reason to quit, but you should be able to learn how to teach. Hopefully you didn't quit because it seems like it would be a hard checkride. Anyways good luck on the ride.

Oh yeah almost forgot. You said your flight today in a new plane went horrible. If the CFI said you did fine you probably did fine. I know everytime I have a 1st sim in a new plane I feel like it went horrible and that I should just tear my certificates up...on a side note the plastic ones are much harder to tear. And pretty much every sim partner and everyone I've talked too always feels the same way after the first sim or two. Just thought I'd share that cause having a horrible first flight is not a reason to quit anything.

I don't like quitters either, especially when the kid has had more opportunities and success than a lot of other people. He just doesn't know how good he has it. But then again, look at his attitude during his tenure here and compare it to the known hazardous attitudes:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1. Antiauthority ("Don't tell me!") - Don't like anyone telling him/her what to do. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Resentful of rules & regulations[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1].[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]2. Impulsivity ("Do something - do it now!") - Need to do something, anything, quickly. Don't stop to think about better alternatives.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3. Invulnerability ("It won't happen to me.") - Accidents happen to other people, not to me. Therefore, I can take chances.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4. Macho ("I can do it.") - Always trying to prove themselves better than others. Take risks and try to impress others. Yes, women, too![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]5. Resignation ("What's the use?") - I really can't make a difference. It's going to happen anyway, why bother? Leave actions to others.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Maybe it is time for him to quit, before he kills someone.

I'm still here for now. Might be looking at another downgrade soon, but thats the name of the game. Both the CFI and 121 training are challenging, but in different ways. CFI training is like kindergarten in the sense that it teaches you to look at the overall basics and how to "play nice". 121 training is like a high level college class. It assumes you already know the basics and focuses ridiculously deep on a very specific subject. In my opinion being a CFI is a great way to get ready to fly for the airlines. You get to really know the basics and you get a great understanding of whats going on in other peoples minds, which can come in handy with the CRM and dealing with a crew thing.

As far as which is harder its hard to say. I personally have seen more people bust 121 training than I've seen bust anything else. With you CFI training you are a customer so they will take some of your BS. At the airlines they own you and any BS will get you shoved out the door faster than you can imagine.

I just was pi$$ed that you quit. You make it sound like the main reason you quit was because you put 20 days of studying into it and the checkride still seems like it will be hard. All 121 training is more than 20 days of nothing but studying...I know I as well as most of my buddies fall off of the face of the earth when we switch a/c cause studying and training is all there is time for if you want to pass the ride at the end. If you quit because you truly feel that you would never ever be able to teach then thats a good reason to quit, but you should be able to learn how to teach. Hopefully you didn't quit because it seems like it would be a hard checkride. Anyways good luck on the ride.

Oh yeah almost forgot. You said your flight today in a new plane went horrible. If the CFI said you did fine you probably did fine. I know everytime I have a 1st sim in a new plane I feel like it went horrible and that I should just tear my certificates up...on a side note the plastic ones are much harder to tear. And pretty much every sim partner and everyone I've talked too always feels the same way after the first sim or two. Just thought I'd share that cause having a horrible first flight is not a reason to quit anything.

No I'm not going to quit lol I figure I've put too much time and money spent into this. I know I can do this because im not a pu$$y. Everyone around me is telling me that this FSDO is basically hell. So its discouraging to say the least.

No idea what you said there, but this is my parting comment:

I gathered up my pressed shirts and pants. I packed for my 4 day trip. The coffee maker is ready to go (IMPORTANT), and the 'arrival suit' is ready to go as well.

Gas in the car
Checked weather for the several legs tomorrow
//gonna be a low day, planning alternates now//
Wife home
Going to bed.

Good night, good luck.

Be humble when it counts- a mega senior 767I captain once told me, "Never pass up an opportunity to STFU. You'll go a lot farther. But never pass up an opportunity to say the right thing, either." When you have a wet commercial ticket, the opportunities to be humble present themselves quite often.
Perhaps one of the single best statements on building a career in aviation, that I've ever heard or read. Well spoken.

But from what many many others have told me this ride and training is way more challenging than 121 training. I don't know I guess Ill make up my own opinion if and when I get there.
One of the key ingredients in making it through 121 training is being less full of yourself and more into the program. There's an old saying "cooperate and graduate." You're clearly not into cooperation, and graduation isn't really your forte, so it seems...so making up your own mind "when you get there" isn't in the cards for you presently, either.

What your present training has to do with 121 training isn't clear; entirely different subjects. A big difference between what you're doing now and training for a 121 operation is that what you're doing is at your pace, voluntary, and you have already stipulated that you study what you "as an instructor deem necessary." In a 121 operation, you don't have the luxury; you study it all, you get it all right, or you don't pass, period. You're held to a high standard, and there are NO excuses.

What you're studying now is basic. BASIC. You're studying the basic building blocks of aviation knowledge. Nothing advanced. The same stuff you were taught, and expected to know, from day one.

The new material...that's how to teach it. How to teach it means not only knowing the material but knowing how to break it down into simple steps so that anyone can understand it. More importantly, it means getting to know the student's needs and then addressing them in a way that will reach the student. That is the essence of the instructor rating, and it makes no difference if it's instruments or basic flight instruction or teaching seaplanes, or tailwheel, or multi-engine. It's all about teaching.

You cannot engage in behaviors or practices that you wouldn't permit in a student. You must be consistent between the way you behave, fly, act, talk, and live, in the student's view, and in your own life. As an instructor, you set the example. Presently you're setting a VERY poor example, and that's your challenge. Not untold hours of study. Not memorizing the fundamentals of instructing. Not being the instrument whiz you think you are.

The FSDO isn't your enemy. Neither is the student. You are. As stated before, you're your own worst enemy.

No I'm not going to quit lol I figure I've put too much time and money spent into this. I know I can do this because im not a pu$$y.

Actually, you are...as is anyone who quits and gives up, rolls over and dies after expending so little effort. You think a few days and a few dollars means you've put in your dues, and it really doesn't. If you had any idea just how far you've yet to go to build a career, you might realize just how arrogant and ignorant your comments are...perhaps one day you will.

Last edited:
Perhaps one of the single best statements on building a career in aviation, that I've ever heard or read. Well spoken.

Best damned compliment I ever got on here. Thanks. Pot o' coffee (or whatever you want) on my nickel if I ever run into you.

I spent a lot of time the past few days thinking about this little tussle (flew 24 legs) with ALIMBO:

You're still on my ignore list, pal- but I was having a great time coaching a lad who never saw an 1800 RVR approach or a 600 RVR takeoff. He was an incredible aviator at the start of the trip- I asked, he affirmed- and was totally different at the end. It very strongly reminded me of your plight.

I have a soft spot for the willfully silly. I have a general feeling that people are capable of being whatever they wish to be and work to be.

Do that.

Another incredible piece of advice I got once: Don't borrow bad luck. Unless you think bad luck is better than good, and you ain't got no good luck lately.

He is a chief designer for what was Union Carbide. He is also my uncle.

And he was right. There is more wisdom in that piece of advice than I can ever wring out, but I'm still twisting that bastard for every bit.

Good. Luck. I truly mean it.

This message is hidden because ALIMBO is on your ignore list.

SEE YA!

Have a nice day. Good luck, I mean it. I truly do. But luck only goes so far... ask avbug. Wait- he'll confuse you with weird things like "energy dissipation during a forced off-airport landing," or "load factor," or "what I know from flying WW2 era bombers," or "this is how you will NOT die when something happens."

I'm truly peeved at you. No, wait. I'm truly peeved at myself. I was hoping you could salvage your training and make an aviator out of yourself despite your best efforts. I was silly for thinking so. See? Lesson learned, lesson applied.

You're just too damned stupid to fix right now. Some day, maybe.

WTH do I know? Just a few thousand hours of flying, a few thousand turbine, a couple hundred in icing, a few thousand landings, a few engine failures, a few dozen checkrides, a couple of vacuum failures in IMC, a few friends dead, a few non-friends dead, two former roommates, DEAD...

Guess where I think you are headed?

Sig, out.
Wow you know a lot of dead people in aviation.

You are like an aviation God.

MY GOD. Perfect.

Just Another Flight Instructor? Yeah, right. ...

Sorry - I was away from the thread for a while.

JAFI = Just Another F&%#ing INSPECTOR..... FAA type

I also have some experience as a Flight Instructor and pilot.

Latest resources

Back