• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Captain Prater's Introductory Message

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not only on the National Legislative front but the international as well. If we, Air Line Pilots want to make this job a career again we will have to get savvy in international politics.

We will have to be able to go to the EU and Asia and play politics on thier turf! One way to do that is unify amongts all airline pilots. ALPA is ahead of us here with the International Federation, Air Line Pilots Association or IFALPA.

Support the pilots who are working our issues locally, nationally and internationally.

Age 60/65 is a minor issue when there are efforts to take this entire job/career away from us. Who cares if the retirement Age changes to 65 when third world pilots will be flying our jets.

Recall the movie Apollo 13. When the engineers were squabling over thier issues John Aaron shut them down and said "Guys, power is everything"

As portrayed in the film "Apollo 13," EECOM engineer John Aaron makes the point that, regardless the situation, that "Power is everything." Without it, nothing happens- it is paramount to the survival of the command module and the crew.

In the case of Air Line Pilots, politics is everything.

I paid my first ALPA dues over 35 years ago. Never crossed a picket line and watched my first carrier go south. Political action, as in re-regulation or some form of it is the only answer that I see. During the intervening years I flew some senators and congressmen. Some answered the important questions. As some said, we as a group tend to think of ourselves as a white collar organization and the bi-partisan approach means to them that we support politicians that will throw some other labor group under the wheels in order to achieve some tenuous and temporary gain. This means that the politicians who are serious about supporting labor will always have a jaundiced view of ALPA and pilot groups as a whole. In short this means that one political party will never support any form of re-regulation and the other Say's their republicans, let them get help from that party.

Not sure re-regulation is the answer......or workable...
Re-regulating the industry is probably not workable. But then I don't see Prater arriving with a magic bullet either and the pilot groups are too involved in fighting each other. It's probably going to have to hit rock bottom before it gets any better. I continually fly with young guys who swear this is their last shot at aviation. I've heard it before. Political action is the only thing I think will work but considering the politics of most of the white bread, yuppie raised, suburban grown people involved, I don't see that happening either.

Prater also talks of backing other ALPA pilots.

What a great help they were to the TWA pilots...and I'm sure I'm leaving others out.

stlflyguy

What a great help they were to the TWA pilots...and I'm sure I'm leaving others out.

stlflyguy

How long are you going to ride this dead horse....?

stlflyguy

Regardless of how you think ALPA handled the TWA situation, what does that have to do with Captain Prater?

Regardless of how you think ALPA handled the TWA situation, what does that have to do with Captain Prater?

Regardless of what Prater wasn't responsible for prior to his election to ALPA President, he inherits the issue of the legal action brought upon the Association and now pending.

There's a lot of money at stake and a lot of liability that the Association is looking at.

ALPA needs to disprove the fact that they represent the largest carriers with the most tenacity. They didn't when it came to the TWA pilots and the Association's desire to recruit the APA.

As to "how long I ride this dead horse" will be seen by whatever comes of the court action that will likely take place this year (in other words, expect an assessment and/or an increase in dues to compensate the damaged).

stlflyguy

Regardless of what Prater wasn't responsible for prior to his election to ALPA President, he inherits the issue of the legal action brought upon the Association and now pending.

There's a lot of money at stake and a lot of liability that the Association is looking at.

ALPA needs to disprove the fact that they represent the largest carriers with the most tenacity. They didn't when it came to the TWA pilots and the Association's desire to recruit the APA.

As to "how long I ride this dead horse" will be seen by whatever comes of the court action that will likely take place this year (in other words, expect an assessment and/or an increase in dues to compensate the damaged).

stlflyguy

I still want to know if I will be assessed to pay myself as a current ALPA member. I'm a bit suspicious of special assessments anyway since ALPA ate the "merger assessment" money.

PIPE

Latest resources

Back