• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Captain Prater's Introductory Message

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There will always be problems and issues. Regardless we need to be unified and involved. Debate the issues then come out unified....

Now that's funny. Most pilots I know just debate...and debate...and debate and never come out of the debate,unified or otherwise. Hence the problems and issues "de jur" never really get rectified to anyones satisfaction. And if they do, it's a "stop gap" measure at best. Witness the loss of pensions via the bankruptcy process. I thought the Continental Strike in 1983 took care of that for pilots. At least that's what I was lead to believe as a neophyte ALPA member when I joined back in 1985. But, no come to find out that all we gained in that debacle was the right to make our case before the Bankruptcy Court judge on why pensions shouldn't be abrocated and how we can keep them intact. Fat lot of good that did us. I guess there is more to it than meets the eye,but somehow Ifeel we will never know what the straight facts are and probably never will.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
He also understands that ALPA now has an EEOC problem on the issue since the FAA now allows all pilots to fly as Captain to age 65 in the USA if they work for any airline, except a US FAR121 airline.

You, obviously "got" it. These young hotshots might as well put on a "gray" hood. Time ain't rollin' backwards.

Age 65 is a minority issue. Prater is running ALPA at its most critical time in its history. If Prater splits ALPA over the minority after what has happened the last five years, burn ALPA down. ALPA will make the right choice and put the age issue to bed.

The age 65 is not a forever continuing issue. The next five years will retire the problem makers and simmer the issue down to its 1980's early 1990's level. The next five years are going to be centered on industry consolidation and continued reinvention of the business model.

If we get another large merger issue in 07 combined with US Air/DAL, seniority integration is going to end ALPA's age education program and focus ALPA on what is important to ALPA's future.

Last edited:
........HA flushed the next generations of careers for their own selfishness. Call a spade a spade.

Just curious, what gives you the idea that Hawaiian short changed anyone?
Most people I know here (HA) are relativly happy with our contract. Not sure what makes you think we sold any one out.......

Did you support managements decision to file bankrupcy, $25m CEO stock bonus grant, and opposed the Boeing lawsuit which Boeing won? HA is no beacon in the night for ALPA contracts or management success.

How is age 65 not going to be a continuing issue? A minority issue? Are all future pilots going to die at age 60? Do you think that all the pensions are coming back? That your 401k survive the next national or international tragedy?

This is one of those provervial cats that has been let out of the bag. Even if it is killed this time around, it will come back, again, and again.

I'm willing to bet that given a choice, a lot of pilots will continue to fly beyond age 60.

How is age 65 not going to be a continuing issue? A minority issue?

The bulk of retirement happen in the next five years. The thousands above 55 today are the target audience that is driving the debate. If they fail to achieve success now they won't be fighting for this after the fact. The retirement numbers ALPA wide after 2011 are low and will not create the noise of today.

The issue will pass. Seniority integration issues will also kill the age debate.

I don't think so. With foreign pilots now approved past age 60, it will continue to be debated for years to come. Its one of those things that will happen eventually.

At SWA age 65 helps about 130 guys a year. Why continue to divide the workforce at the demise of 5000 guys for the benefit of less than 3%?

Gup

And what was that picture of CapHill doing there? What does that mean? :)

It means we need to back the PAC. If we want to have a voice in the corridors of power we need to have broader participation in ALPA-PAC. How often do we hear the indignation of pilots when they discover that not only is the RLA (how long has ASA been locked in negotiations) and BK code written to favor management, but that we as a union are often not allowed to strike, even when our contracts are rejected. If you want to make a change, you have to get involved and we have to get behind our political action committee.

ALPA-PAC helps elect pro-pilot candidates to Congress, educate lawmakers about pilots’ professional concerns, and enhance ALPA’s ability to achieve its legislative goals.

ALPA-PAC is made up of voluntary contributions from U.S. ALPA members.

ALPA-PAC provides financial assistance to the campaigns of congressmen and senators who will support and defend the professional interests of ALPA pilots.

ALPA-PAC is the only way ALPA participates in the federal election process; ALPA does not use any member dues money for this purpose.

ALPA-PAC is the most bipartisan labor PAC in Washington, D.C. It supports candidates from all political parties and does not base its support on political party affiliation.

ALPA-PAC considers only legislative issues of professional interest to its members. It does not consider issues that are not relevant to ALPA or its representation of airline pilots.

Last edited:
Amen, FDJ!!! You done any work for DALPA's leg affairs committee? Legislative Affairs is where some of the most important work over the next few years will come from.

Latest resources

Back