• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Captain Prater's Introductory Message

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank God he doesn't talk with his hands, unlike his predecessor.

You may be right AA. Prater is a age 65 supporter. Hopefully he can shut his trap on that and support the majority opinion at ALPA who are against the change. We'll see.

Looks like he understands that the problem is not going to go away. Since most pilots eventually reach age 60, and 80+ of those would like to continue to work it is a never ending problem.

He also understands that ALPA now has an EEOC problem on the issue since the FAA now allows all pilots to fly as Captain to age 65 in the USA if they work for any airline, except a US FAR121 airline.

I wonder how ALPA would have fared if they took a poll back in 1971 to dercide if women should fly for FAR121 carriers and they decide the members opposed that change?

How would have ALPA fared if they opposed the recruitment of African Americans?

No, Prater would prefer to avoid the potential liability for damages awarded to the American citizens forced to retire when any Mexican, Dominican, Chinese, British, Canadian pilot was permitted to fly here. If you add the fact that ALPA has signed contract agreeing to age 65 with Canadian carriers.

Don't hold your breath for a change to ALPA's age-60 policy, FoxHunter. That policy is part of the Admin Manual, so it can only be changed by a majority vote of the BOD. With about 40% of the votes on the BOD coming from B-carrier pilot groups, and nowhere near a unanimous support of age-65 coming from the A-carriers, you have no chance of getting the BOD to change the policy on this. Enjoy your retirement.

Don't hold your breath for a change to ALPA's age-60 policy, FoxHunter. That policy is part of the Admin Manual, so it can only be changed by a majority vote of the BOD. With about 40% of the votes on the BOD coming from B-carrier pilot groups, and nowhere near a unanimous support of age-65 coming from the A-carriers, you have no chance of getting the BOD to change the policy on this. Enjoy your retirement.

Good luck funding the future award!:beer:

There will always be problems and issues. Regardless we need to be unified and involved. Debate the issues then come out unified....

AL, NWA, East US Air, CAL, AMR, and HA flushed the next generations of careers for their own selfishness. Call a spade a spade.

Just curious, what gives you the idea that Hawaiian short changed anyone?
Most people I know here (HA) are relativly happy with our contract. Not sure what makes you think we sold any one out. The only major change is going from a DB to a very generous DC plan (17% backstop) particulars are being worked out, but it is hardly screwing anyone.

I've been in ALPA for ten years now and I have to say I haven't enjoyed one of them with Woerthless in the seat. I have supported my fellow pilot's as MEC JS at prior carriers and now Safety committee and MEC ASAP /ERC committee. It's been a great experience and education through-out the years and I encourage everyone to take a tour and get involved at some point in your career. With Prater in office we can only hope for a positive change for OUR union and I would like to believe it's time for this new generation of pilot's to stand together.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back