Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can one of the B6 drivers explain this to me?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

G4G5

"Due to WEATHER SNOW (JET BLUE/JBU FLIGHTS ONLY), there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving John F Kennedy International Airport, New York, NY (JFK). To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

This is right off the ATCSSCC web site:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Apparently we've had so many airplanes on the field at jfk today...at all of the gates and out on the ramps with inbound passengers...that they had enough of the static display. The weather conditions allowed arrivals but prohibited departures so the bottleneck increased over time. ATC wanted to relieve the congestion before allowing the schedule to recover.

what is there to explain?

So amazingly, instead of cancelling everything like some other airlines, this one was flying-- wow, what a concept!!! (There still were over 70 cancelled flights).

I think we were one of maybe a dozen flights that made it out of BOS today...glad to not be stuck at the airport anymore.

So amazingly, instead of cancelling everything like some other airlines, this one was flying-- wow, what a concept!!! (There still were over 70 cancelled flights).

And guess who's getting assaulted by the press for getting people stuck 9 hours on the tarmac? WHAT A CONCEPT!

Last edited:
The ground stop was initiated by JetBlue - not the FAA.

In fact, Clearance Delivery in PBI kept telling us there was no ground stop long after the company sent a message saying there was a JB internal GS and that we may not depart (bound for JFK) per leadership. It took some time to go from JB to the FAA command center, I guess. This was probably the smartest move they made all day or we would have had thirty planes on WABC.

Does anyone know what's happening with the Varig Cargo hangar? Could that be used as an emergency deplaning station? Can we at least put some tire chains on a lav truck?

The ground stop was initiated by JetBlue - not the FAA.

In fact, Clearance Delivery in PBI kept telling us there was no ground stop long after the company sent a message saying there was a JB internal GS and that we may not depart (bound for JFK) per leadership. It took some time to go from JB to the FAA command center, I guess. This was probably the smartest move they made all day or we would have had thirty planes on WABC.

Does anyone know what's happening with the Varig Cargo hangar? Could that be used as an emergency deplaning station? Can we at least put some tire chains on a lav truck?

Thanks. An internal company initated GS makes sense.

I was curious because I had never seen the FAA single out one particular carrier for a GS. In fact, I would have thought that it was illegal to stop one carrier from flying to a particular airport.

I thought that maybe it had something to do with the JFK slot program and the outbound European departures. I was curious to see if you guys had a clause in your slots that allowed them to do this.

Thanks for the input, sorry about the bad press.

There is a reason why they cancel.

Do you have any idea how much Type 1/2 fluid costs per gallon? What about Type IV? I know that when I flew 121 I didn't.

Approx $12 a gallon for type 1/2 and $20 for type IV. It takes around 2000 of type 1/2 to get the ice off of an A320. Then add the type 4 if necessary. You do the math.

I would venture to say that B6 didn't make a dime yesterday, in fact they lost money and you will hear about this again when the 1Q07 reports come out.

Latest resources

Back