Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can an AME accept documents from another doctor?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
I have a color deficiency. I've always known it, but never gave it much thought untill learning that I'll be nailed with a night restriction on my medical certificate. That sucks....

My parents have these old medical books, and I decided to further research the disorder. The book showed a "card" with various dots of different colors. It then stated that the normal person could easily read numbers from the card. Much to my frustration, I couldn't discern any numbers!!!

Upon further research, I learned that there are 15 different vision tests the FAA will accept, and passing even one of them will lift the night restriction. I've also heard about the "light gun" test from the tower, but would rather not do this because of two reasons:

1. If you actually fail the light gun test, you CANNOT take any other test.

2. Even if you pass the test, the previous restriction still shows up on your medical. I heard something about this causing a problem with potential commercial flying.

So hopefully I can pass at least 1 of these 15 tests. However, I'd rather not get slapped with the restriction, then go for further testing, then mail the results to the FAA, and all that other BS. Would it be possible to consult a doctor BEFORE the medical exam??? Maybe get a written statement from this doctor that I have indeed passed such and such test? Would an AME accept this, and not nail me with the restriction?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I think you need to ask yourself this one question "With this "restriction" will I be able to operate the aircraft SAFETLY in both daytime and night time?

If I understand your question correctly, you want to find a doctor who will say you have color vision, get him to write you a note, and hope that your AME will buy off on it. Forget it.

If you can demonstrate the same thing to your AME, fine.

Why stop there? Why not get some doctor to write a note that states "This guy's health is dandy and his heart is great. No need for further testing." Just bring that in, and skip the physical entirely.

avbug said:
If I understand your question correctly, you want to find a doctor who will say you have color vision, get him to write you a note, and hope that your AME will buy off on it.

Avbug, that is NOT what I'm talking about!!! I'm not trying to cheat the system by any means. The FAA will accept 1 of 15 different tests. The question was whether or not the AME would accept a statement beforehand, that I have passed a specific test.

avbug said:
Why stop there? Why not get some doctor to write a note that states "This guy's health is dandy and his heart is great. No need for further testing." Just bring that in, and skip the physical entirely.

You totally missed the point of my question. Understand that, the FAA does indeed accept these "notes" contesting that an individual has passed an alternative test. The question was whether or not this note would be valid BEFORE HAND, instead of after.

NCGAPilot said:
I think you need to ask yourself this one question "With this "restriction" will I be able to operate the aircraft SAFETLY in both daytime and night time?

The answer is yes. I can tell the difference between red and green. I have good vision otherwise, and know for sure that I can operate an aircraft safely day or night. Avbug on the other hand, would have you believe that I'm trying to cheat the system for personal gain....

Avbug on the other hand, would have you believe that I'm trying to cheat the system for personal gain....

Actually, those would be YOUR words, not mine.

A little testy, aren't we? Are you merely wanting to receive a specific answer? You appear ready to answer your own question, and quick to reject what you don't want to hear. Why did you bother to ask?

avbug said:
Are you merely wanting to receive a specific answer? You appear ready to answer your own question, and quick to reject what you don't want to hear.

I cannot answer my own question. That is why I asked for help. As far as "rejecting" what I don't want to hear.......show me the specific example within this thread. The only responce you've given thus far, essentially claims that I'm trying to "get around" a restriction by asking a doctor to write a fraudulent statement. I'm still trying to conceptualize how you drew that conclusion, but again, if you can site the specific text, you win.

avbug said:
Why did you bother to ask?

You know, that's starting to become a very good question.

The only responce you've given thus far, essentially claims that I'm trying to "get around" a restriction by asking a doctor to write a fraudulent statement. I'm still trying to conceptualize how you drew that conclusion, but again, if you can site the specific text, you win.

Once again, mate, I made no such assertion. That would be YOU. It was you that introduced the idea of fraudulent statements or acts here, not me.

Perhaps if you'd be a little less defensive you might get something useful. It's not your color vision that's a medical issue for you, it's your paranoia.

avbug said:
Once again, mate, I made no such assertion.

Are you kidding me??? Look here:

avbug said:
you want to find a doctor who will say you have color vision, get him to write you a note, and hope that your AME will buy off on it.

You made no such assertion?

avbug said:
Perhaps if you'd be a little less defensive you might get something useful.

Am I being defensive? Yes. But that is only in reaction to you being offensive.

avbug said:
It's not your color vision that's a medical issue for you, it's your paranoia.

Now I suffer from paranoia? Is that your best responce to conflicting exchanges??? Hell, even I went as far as to nicely point out the assertion that you insist you never made.

Last edited:
Unanswered,

Don't worry about Avgod, he thinks he is a doctor now, he is a legend in his own mind. P.M. me and I will give you an AME that won't use the chart you describe and I will answer any medical questions you might have.

As far as accepting a note from another physician, it would all depend on the relationship that AME has with that Dr. If they did their residency with each other or worked together or even used each other for referrals it may or may not fly. There are many variables involved. I happen to know many AME's that do not use the color chart with numbers to evaluate color dicrimination but they do use othe types of testing. Make sure the doctor you are using to write the note has a professional relationship with the AME. Preferably an Opthomologist but not necessary.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back