• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL/UAL Merger Done Next Week

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The demographics of CAL/UA is way more like USAir/AWA than DL/NWA. Had neither airline furloughed any pilots, you would have an easy relative seniority SLI like DL/NWA.

Not picking on you, but let's stop calling it "relative seniority" SLI, because they haven't been.

The seniority lists have been drawn up based on "category/status ratios."

It also doesn't matter whether the lists resemble the DL/NWA lists or the USAir/AWA lists, the fundamental building blocks remain the same and the first block is to define the "categories" for building the lists.

However,that didn't happen. DL/NWA didn't have anyone on furlough that hadn't already been recalled once. It's not even like there is a proportional number of CAL pilots to UA on furlough. With UAs furloughs, it would likely take 5+ years of GROWTH or large retirement numbers to bring that many pilots back. For CAL, those pilots will likely be recalled in the fall due to 11 or so NEW growth 737s and 2 new growth 777s.

Not relavent. Projections into the future will hold little weight after the merger is announced. I'm sure anyone recalled after the date of the merger announcement won't be furloughed to make room for someone who was on furlough on that date. Beyond that, they both brought the same thing to the merger, a recall number.

UA pilots will think they deserve a better spot on the list since they were all hired late 90s. CAL on the other hand went thru a hiring boom from 2005-2008. UA hired a few hundred in late 07 early 08.

The date a pilot was hired will also mean very little, other than establish his place on his premerger list. When integrating seniority lists what's important is what your date of hire can purchase on your premerger list, if it's wide bodied F/O on a stove piped list, than that's the equity value brought to the merger.

This will be a mess. I hope CAL walks away when they realize how much it would hurt them.

It would be a mess if you make it one, if you allow self interest and emotion to trump reason and logic.

If there's a merger, and both pilot groups accept the fact that if this goes to arbitration the lists will resemble a category/status ratioed list, then you can begin the process of narrowing the differences by adjusting the lists for "expectations" and "longevity", but those adjustments will be minor. My guess is that for the most part UAL's longevity will be offset by CAL's brighter expectations. Probably some "pull out/plug in" formula similar to the one used at DAL/NWA.

Last edited:
The demographics of CAL/UA is way more like USAir/AWA than DL/NWA. Had neither airline furloughed any pilots, you would have an easy relative seniority SLI like DL/NWA.

However,that didn't happen. DL/NWA didn't have anyone on furlough that hadn't already been recalled once. It's not even like there is a proportional number of CAL pilots to UA on furlough. With UAs furloughs, it would likely take 5+ years of GROWTH or large retirement numbers to bring that many pilots back. For CAL, those pilots will likely be recalled in the fall due to 11 or so NEW growth 737s and 2 new growth 777s.

UA pilots will think they deserve a better spot on the list since they were all hired late 90s. CAL on the other hand went thru a hiring boom from 2005-2008. UA hired a few hundred in late 07 early 08.

This will be a mess. I hope CAL walks away when they realize how much it would hurt them.

I think the arbitrators will look at everyone on the current list, put them together in relative seniority with category and status also thrown in there, fence the 744s for 5 years, and then deal with all of the furloughed pilots. It probably doesn't matter to arbitrators if they have been furloughed once or twice. If they are not on the property now, then they will be at the bottom in some order. That may sound harsh, but that is probably what will happen.

BTW, FDJ2 knows a lot more about this than I do.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Lots and lots of chest thumping going on. Everyone talking about career expectation this and that. I have said before there is no such thing as a career expectation in this business. It can change tomorrow. As for either side not wanting to merge. reality will dictate. If the DAL/NWA model proves to be more profitable it would be silly not to merge. Lets not get short sighted. In my career Co has gone from the scum airline to a much better one. United was at the top now look at the perception of our airline. In fact USAir, when I was looking for that airline job was the cream of the crop.

I think the thing we have going for us is hopefully none of the hotheads on hear from either side will actually be involved in the process.

If you could read Calforums I doubt you would consider this discussion to be all that "hot" and I'm sure your forum contains similar theatrics. Calforums is not an anonymous forum and posters use their real names so I don't think there's anywhere near the hyperbole on there that one might imagine. Most of the discussion is real and posters are expressing their real concerns and contempt. I think the heat is being kept below the water line for now but it's there and it will surface.

The MEC's will have their work cut out for them if all out brawling is to be prevented. We'll see. It can probably be contained for a while but once the two side agree to disagree, It'll be on............and we'll all have to live with it one way or another. I just don't see any company picnics taking place for the next few years.

I think the other important thing to realize is that there is very little support for this merger on the CAL side whereas it seems that many at UAL favor it, if only to rid themselves of terrible management (which appears to not be happening). When expectations collide with animosity (at CAL) that's when things will get sideways. If the two employee groups both believed that merging was mutually beneficial, I think we'd see something very different take place. CAL employees do not see merging with UAL as being in "their" interest. They've been open about that and Smigel was open about his employees desires to remain independent in 2008. Nothing has changed. His people didn't want it then and don't want it now. He's going to force it on them and that never plays out well.

Last edited:
The merger is going to happen with or without our inputs. However, the only way to successfully merge the 2 companies is through leadership. Both sides have their strengths and weaknesses. The idea is to collectively merge two sides into one....that is leverage against the company for an outstanding contract.

With that being said, I don't want a merger (CAL 05 hire) at all, but if we do I have to live with it. The sooner we work together, the better our lives will be.

Seniority will go to arbitration and will most likely benefit CAL pilots. This isn't like US where both companies were hours from BK (well at least 1 and the other not far off). There will be fences on both sides for domicile and equipment. There will be pissed off people.

If you could read Calforums I doubt you would consider this discussion to be all that "hot" and I'm sure your forum contains similar theatrics. Calforums is not an anonymous forum and posters use their real names so I don't think there's anywhere near the hyperbole on there that one might imagine. Most of the discussion is real and posters are expressing their real concerns and contempt. I think the heat is being kept below the water line for now but it's there and it will surface.

The MEC's will have their work cut out for them if all out brawling is to be prevented. We'll see. It can probably be contained for a while but once the two side agree to disagree, It'll be on............and we'll all have to live with it one way or another. I just don't see any company picnics taking place for the next few years.

I think the other important thing to realize is that there is very little support for this merger on the CAL side whereas it seems that many at UAL favor it, if only to rid themselves of terrible management (which appears to not be happening). When expectations collide with animosity (at CAL) that's when things will get sideways. If the two employee groups both believed that merging was mutually beneficial, I think we'd see something very different take place. CAL employees do not see merging with UAL as being in "their" interest. They've been open about that and Smigel was open about his employees desires to remain independent in 2008. Nothing has changed. His people didn't want it then and don't want it now. He's going to force it on them and that never plays out well.

Like I said I can understand your fear for someone hired at CAL in the 2007-2008 timeframe but funny thing is i was at the marriot IAH and talked w/ a few CAL guys and they were all for it. time will tell ATR

Seniority will go to arbitration and will most likely benefit CAL pilots. This isn't like US where both companies were hours from BK (well at least 1 and the other not far off). There will be fences on both sides for domicile and equipment. There will be pissed off people.

An arbitrated list would be worse for both premerger pilot groups than a negotiated list, but I think it's a stretch to believe that an arbitrated list will benefit CAL pilots. Not saying that the list would favor UAL either. The perception will be that it will favor those with the most realistic expectations and the reality will be that the pilot group that has the greater credibility will have the greater input on the list construction. This isn't hageling at a car dealership, or flea market, where you meet in the middle and split the baby, it's arbitration. I also don't think you'll find that an arbitrated list will have extensive fences, particularly not for domiciles.

Like I said I can understand your fear for someone hired at CAL in the 2007-2008 timeframe but funny thing is i was at the marriot IAH and talked w/ a few CAL guys and they were all for it. time will tell ATR

Yes, time will tell and in the end it will probably matter little for me. This battle will be far higher up the list than me. I have no dog in this thing. I expect I'll never be back and am planning accordingly. It's not my demographic that will want to burn the place down, it's going to be the 98-05 guys who are going to be pissing so vigorously on their corners and looking for a fight. They have the most to lose and almost nothing to gain. They have enjoyed unfathomable movement and now that will be threatened. We'll see. Who knows.

There was plenty of chest thumping and name calling during the DL/NWA SLI, and I am sure there will be the same if UAL/CAL get together. In the end, a joint contract at the start softened the blow a bit, and the arbitrators came up with the solution. It is what it is.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yes, time will tell and in the end it will probably matter little for me. This battle will be far higher up the list than me. I have no dog in this thing. I expect I'll never be back and am planning accordingly. It's not my demographic that will want to burn the place down, it's going to be the 98-05 guys who are going to be pissing so vigorously on their corners and looking for a fight. They have the most to lose and almost nothing to gain. They have enjoyed unfathomable movement and now that will be threatened. We'll see. Who knows.

There were 2007 hires at Delta put ahead of 2000 hires at NWA. The arbitrators saw it that way, and that was that. But, those 2000 hires make more money than the 2007 hires (longevity). That won't always be the case, but it was decided that way. Now we are one team and trying to go forward.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
There were 2007 hires at Delta put ahead of 2000 hires at NWA. The arbitrators saw it that way, and that was that. But, those 2000 hires make more money than the 2007 hires (longevity). That won't always be the case, but it was decided that way. Now we are one team and trying to go forward.

Bye Bye---General Lee

That's interesting. How are things when you guys share facilities? I've never heard of pissing contests amongst the groups but does that stuff take place there?

Latest resources

Back