• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL/UAL Merger Done Next Week

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If this does happen, it's going to get ugly. Since this will most likely be a relative seniority with a few tweaks, 2005 CAL guys are going to go ahead of early 90 something hires. I am sure the UAL guys are not going to like this nor take it laying down.

You seem to forget that the CAL pilots CAN VETO THIS. It is in their contract. So, scope is THEIR'S to lose. This is up to them. If they want to approve 70 seaters, they can. They can also state NO DEAL unless they get a pay raise, along with tighter scope and 70 seaters going away when the contracts expire. If they don't, it is THEIR own fault. If you have leverage, you should USE it. This isn't BK court with a judge watching.

And BTW, your SLI will be fairly close to relative, with some fences around 744s probably. Both airlines are legacies with widebodies and not a lot of smaller narrowbodies. Everything is about the same except the 744s. Both ordered 787s, with CAL probably getting them first, which might have a short fence around them for a couple years. (JMO)

Bye Bye--General Lee

I believe an agreed upon contract in the end is exactly that...not sure I would say that either group is in a drivers seat...they are together in it. And yes the ball is in the pilots (UAL and CAL's) court.

United pilots will not just be sitting there without a STRONG position. Together alot can be accomplished.

Don't forget that CAL's orders are for growth, whereas UAL's orders are for replacement. Something has to be said for career expectations. CAL has 99 hires that hold CA, UAL's 99 hires are furloughed. So that is one more factor that needs to be taken into consideration!

Yogi

Same thing at DL/NWA. It pretty much went relative with some plug and play for retirements. It didn't matter if guys were hired before or after each other, if you were in the bottom 88% at one company, you became pretty close to that at the combined, plus or minus 1 or 2%. It all comes down to what the arbitrators decide, and that includes precedent like Nicelau.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I believe an agreed upon contract in the end is exactly that...not sure I would say that either group is in a drivers seat...they are together in it. And yes the ball is in the pilots (UAL and CAL's) court.

United pilots will not just be sitting there without a STRONG position. Together alot can be accomplished.

I would think the UAL guys would be HAPPY that the CAL guys have some leverage. It will work out better for BOTH of them. The UAL guys don't have as much enforcement power in their own contract.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Same thing at DL/NWA. It pretty much went relative with some plug and play for retirements. It didn't matter if guys were hired before or after each other, if you were in the bottom 88% at one company, you became pretty close to that at the combined, plus or minus 1 or 2%. It all comes down to what the arbitrators decide, and that includes precedent like Nicelau.

Bye Bye--General Lee
The demographics of CAL/UA is way more like USAir/AWA than DL/NWA. Had neither airline furloughed any pilots, you would have an easy relative seniority SLI like DL/NWA.

However,that didn't happen. DL/NWA didn't have anyone on furlough that hadn't already been recalled once. It's not even like there is a proportional number of CAL pilots to UA on furlough. With UAs furloughs, it would likely take 5+ years of GROWTH or large retirement numbers to bring that many pilots back. For CAL, those pilots will likely be recalled in the fall due to 11 or so NEW growth 737s and 2 new growth 777s.

UA pilots will think they deserve a better spot on the list since they were all hired late 90s. CAL on the other hand went thru a hiring boom from 2005-2008. UA hired a few hundred in late 07 early 08.

This will be a mess. I hope CAL walks away when they realize how much it would hurt them.

Don't forget that CAL's orders are for growth, whereas UAL's orders are for replacement. Something has to be said for career expectations. CAL has 99 hires that hold CA, UAL's 99 hires are furloughed. So that is one more factor that needs to be taken into consideration!

Yogi

I think the most junior 73 CA at CAL was hired in 2001 and is still flying the line in the left seat. UAL has guys without positions hired in 98. I believe a 98 hire at CAL right now is a bottom 756 CA!!! Talk about different career expectations. CAL's getting 13 new frames this year and 17 new frames next year. This is where the "integration" is going to get really ugly and where the two sides are going to walk away from each other. There will be no unified CAL/UAL MEC. Just watch. Just wait until the CAL MEC receives the UAL MEC's proposed list that puts their current furloughees on property and removes CAL guys from their seats. This dream of unification will end with a very loud thud!

We should all be saving for lawyers, we're going to need them.

Yogi

How do you know they are for growth? Kelner said so? Has CAL announced new destinations or more frequncies for the new airframes? Until they are on the property, depending on fuel prices, economy, other factors, you really don't know wheather they are for growth or replacement. As to the SLI, put 10 yr fences around the domiciles. I don't know many UAL guys wanting to go to IAH or EWR.

They have been talking for over 2 years now...don't you think they have thought about this. Let's TRY to work it out.

I'm sure they will "try" as you say. I just know that "try" will fail on this issue. It's nothing personal. I can understand why UAL would want it's guys back on property in front of our 98 hire 756 CA, I'm just saying that it's not gonna work out. I think it's the duty of the UAL MEC to fight for every single seniority number just like I think the CAL MEC needs to do the same. When they do, they will no longer agree on many things and this mess will go to binding arbitration which will lead to years if not decades of ugliness. That's just how this works. It's neither good nor bad, it just is.........we're gonna have to live with it but it won't be nice. Not now, not ever. I don't know a single person at CAL that wants anything to do with merging with UAL. NOT ONE. Those folks are going to be pissed and they're going to be looking for a fight. That's how mergers work. That's how this one will work. It will happen anyway but it won't be something any of us will be proud of.

Lots and lots of chest thumping going on. Everyone talking about career expectation this and that. I have said before there is no such thing as a career expectation in this business. It can change tomorrow. As for either side not wanting to merge. reality will dictate. If the DAL/NWA model proves to be more profitable it would be silly not to merge. Lets not get short sighted. In my career Co has gone from the scum airline to a much better one. United was at the top now look at the perception of our airline. In fact USAir, when I was looking for that airline job was the cream of the crop.

I think the thing we have going for us is hopefully none of the hotheads on hear from either side will actually be involved in the process.

Latest resources

Back