CAL-Skywest Code Share - Facts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jeepman,
You can't be serious if you don't know why SkyWest Pilots would be upset if SkyWest picked up all this flying and not offered at all to current pilots on the Seniority list. I don't mind helping out with pilots on the street as long as seniority is in place.

Monkey, if you don't understand the reasons, then you must not have been in the airline industry very long. It's all about the sacred seniority list. Not many issues gets pilots panties in a bunch like the abrogation of a seniority list.

Look at the many mergers/buyouts that have occurred over the years (Pan Am/National, Northwest/Republic, American/Reno Air/TWA, Delta/Pan Am, just to name a few). Some huge court battles have been fought over protecting pilots seniority. The old bluebloods at Pan Am almost $hit their pants when they saw the Gill Award...5 year National captains ended up senior to 15 year Pan Am FEs, for example.

We all hate to see pilots on the street looking for work, nobody is arguing that point. I was furloughed briefly once, it's no fun. But you have to keep seniority in mind when new flying is awarded... offer the IAH flying to current pilots on the SkyWest list, and if none of them want it? Then it goes way junior to newly hired CALEx furloughees. But you HAVE to let the seniority system work as it was intended. Otherwise, the SkyWest pilots would just as soon see the flying go to Mesa.

This is sad....I have entirely too much spare time today!

skywestdrvr said:
Jeepman,
You can't be serious if you don't know why SkyWest Pilots would be upset if SkyWest picked up all this flying and not offered at all to current pilots on the Seniority list. I don't mind helping out with pilots on the street as long as seniority is in place.

skywestdrvr,

Unfortunately my friend he is serious. This so-called "deal" is nothing more than an extension of ALPA's "Jets for Jobs" protocols. Now they are moving it into "Props for Jobs".

Keep in mind that ALPA had no problem whatever with forcing the abrogation of seniorty at carriers that it already "represents". Why would they worry about abrogating the seniority of Skywest's pilots?

By now, It should be pretty obvious to everyone that ALPA is not it the least concerned about the seniority of "regional pilots", to them it has no value. They have already coerced six ALPA represented airlines into accepting this garbage. The APA is emulating them by stealing the seniority of Eagle pilots (whom ALPA "represents") and they aren't even saying anything about it let alone doing anything.

If they can succeed it forcing Skywest pilots to relinquish their seniority as well, they will do so in a heartbeat.

What's really ironic is that many of the posters from the CAL side are bad-mouthing the possibility that Mesa pilots might get this flying if you at SKYW don't fall for this ploy. Guess who represents Mesa pilots --- ALPA. They're calling their ALPA brothers at Mesa "bottom feeders" for accepting an ALPA-recommended contract. They have already succeeded in getting the Mesa pilots to give up their seniority in J4J, which leaves you ripe for the picking.

This is truly incredible but nothing that ALPA does surprises me anymore. What does surprise me is the blissful ignorance that allows them to get away with it.

I hope SKYW pilots will have the strength to reject this garbage and that your management will continue to support you.

I've seen references to the idea that management supports SKYW pilots to "keep you from going union." I have to ask the obvious; what "union" would you go to, to protect yourself from seniority theft? ALPA? That has to be the biggest and best joke there is. Would it be the IBT? ALPA has already managed to run over them, overturn the vote of Chautauqua pilots and force them to give up their seniority in favor of USAirways pilots.

It really gets low when a labor union is willing to openly steal the seniority of its own members as well as that of other union members and non-union pilots to give it to its more favored membership segment. Maybe you guys should rush to join ALPA so that it will be easier for them to shaft you too.

I wish you the best at SKYW. Hope you'll tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

Last edited:
Here is a rumor that is gonna piss off a few people. Skywest gets the Houston deal. Coex/CAL system wide bid and all the flying including the captain saets are fiiled by them until enough positions are available for everyone to go back. As these pilots go back to CAL skywest pilots fill in the positions. Lets not forget what would happen if United liquidates and if skywest pilots get pissed off and want a union that looks out for thier interest like ALPA does for coex, good for them. If skywest does not take the deal someone else will. They will probably get a good deal from CAL . Commutair was offered a free lease on the 120's for one year.

surplus1 said:
Unfortunately my friend he is serious. This so-called "deal" is nothing more than an extension of ALPA's "Jets for Jobs" protocols. Now they are moving it into "Props for Jobs".

Surplus,

Sometimes you are on the ball and other times you miss it entirely. The Skywest-CAL deal has nothing to do with "ALPA National." Nothing at all. CAL ALPA has a "meet and agree" clause that was negotiated BY both the CAL and CALEX Negotiating Committee's. By virtue of that, CAL ALPA (CAL and CALEX) have the right to say "go get bent" to Continental Airlines on any further prop flying in Houston. Naturally, there is a price attached in the eyes of CAL ALPA. This is a VERY important issue to the Continental Express pilot group. Jobs and job security and career enhancement is important to our pilot group. That is/was our flying and we will do whatever it takes to lock in that flying for our pilots, even if it isn't in our airplanes. This has nothing to do with some ALPA National boogeyman agenda. Quit being so paranoid. ALPA National has zero hands in this cookie jar.

GJ

Commutair got a deal on E120's? I haven't seen them in the OAG flying out of CLE yet. Also, Skywest and other companies right now are being squeezed by their Major partners, and are looking for additional revenue. I think Skywest would take this deal even if it included Calex pilots flying them. The only question would be who is going to train the Calex pilots? Skywest? That would be odd and interesting. But, remember that Calex has to agree to all of this since it is in their contract I believe. I believe they stated that all CAL regional flying out of their 3 hubs---IAH, CLE, and EWR was to be done by Calex. If CAL opened up a new hub--like DEN--then someone else could fly it I believe. It will be interesting indeed. Scope turns out to be really important, huh? Tell us about it.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes: :p

General Lee -- no clue

Wrong, wrong, wrong...

General Lee -- Please get factual info before you start sending out info... I do not think that you know everything about your topic of discussion here...

Last edited:
This will get real interesting when SKYW buys CALEX--standby for more to follow

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back