• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL or SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had that exact decision to make and chose SWA. I would have been perfectly happy at CAL, but for me SWA was the better choice when factoring in pay, schedules, bases, benefits, work rules, co-workers and corporate culture. Get back to me in a couple of decades and I will let you know if I did the right thing.

To get back on topic, I think both companies look pretty good. I would look closely at culture, and domicile locations.

Now to get back off topic..............How about those #20 Salukis!!!!!

Go Dawgs!

I'll take my 8 hr block 6 day over your supposed 14hr block 13 easy day. I would rather be 15 hrs in the hotel so I can get back to work making MORE money than be in a hotel for 24. (see other thread...) Pilots are only making money when not at the gate. I would rather work for a company that pays handsome bonuses and shows signs of really blowing the top of its profits for 07. I would rather fly 757's but that is the only downside to this job.

Oh, PropJob

GoodTimes says: "Flying for an airline does not qualify as "hard work". Even if it did, I wouldn't be afraid of working hard for a living."

Wow. You must be management.

(...And learn to "quote" correctly. I think the community college is offering free HTML classes...)

Geez, you didn't even get the quote function quite right there on the first one... You, my friend, seem to be 0 for 2 on the Spelling/HTML police squad. What are your thoughts on the topic again? Your symantics are a little distracting. AND YOU CAN EVEN TRY TO QUOTE ME ON THAT!!

I keed. I make a little joke.

In the spirit of maintaining the thread: Pick the company you don't need to commute to. You will live many longer, happier years.

-Vic

Pilots are only making money when not at the gate

....hotel, home, resturant, best buy, costco and hockey game.

FWIW I know a 3rd year CAL guy trying to get on at SWA. He will commute either way. It is a pay and lifestyle choice for him. Lousy schedules and low pay at CAL compared to his potential at SWA. Dont flame me, I am just relaying what he told me his reasons were.

For me personally, I would go with SWA as well. Unless you really wanted to live in CLE or EWR and fly a heavy, I think SWA is the better choice. I think they are both excellent places though and this "friend" is in a great position.

recently there were 3 CAL guys in new hire SWA class. Hmm...one more thing. 16 days off and I have been in SWA a whopping 3 months...hmmm. changing 6 time zones in one flight or doing 5 legs is a wash...either way your body is tired. Tough choice but SWA is one of a kind.

My two cents. SWA is a great company and right now pays better in every aspect vs CAL.

In the future who knows but it is quite possible CAL will along with the rest of the upper level legacy's start paying like the pre consessionary contracts at DAL and UAL.

FYI I have been a 737 CA for eight years have 5000 in the left seat. I usually fly one leg a day and mostly in the 800/900. I can't stand the airplane anymore and I'm going to the B756 in May and that day can't come quick enough. I would be miserable flying the 737 for another 19 years or maybe 24 years flying two, three, four or more legs a day in and out domestically.

Flame away, SWA is a great company but it's not for everyone.

I'll help bring it back on track too. I'll list some +

CAL:

+Big airplanes. (a 757, 767 or 777 is a lot more comfy to stare out the window and/or the cockpit floor in. Left over 1st class meals too)
+One leg days (he l l, one leg 3 day trips)
+Not running from gate to gate or any of that crap. You go to work, you get on one airplane, fly one flight, and then go to the hotel/bar/etc for 24 hours. <widebody fleet only, a 73 is a 73>
+International destinations (and I'm not talking about Canada or Mexico) from day one if you want it.
+Year 3-4 777 F/O pay: $95 an hour, and you definitely aren't working that hard for it.
+When your neighbor sees you throwing your suitcase in your car, and asks "Where ya going on this trip buddy?", you're saying "Rome." or "Paris", not "Omaha."

SWA:

+Better money upfront. (first year pay is 'economically viable')
+Better money down the road (Captain Pay)
+Year 3-4 FO pay: $108 an hour (but you are working for it)
+Better job "stability"
+Young and/or fun FAs that put out (I have the child support payment to prove it)
+Mr. C's. (Careful, see above +)
+When your neighbor sees you throwing your suitcase in your car, and asks "Where ya going on this trip buddy?", you're saying "Omaha", but your car is nicer than the CAL guy's.

Make a decision and live with it.

do you really care about what your neighbor thinks about where you're flying to?

"big" airplanes = aren't they all big at this level?

pay, QOL, stability, not commuting = important

Last edited:
If you care what your neighbor thinks about your job, I bet you have a corvette in your garage. My neighbor sells treadmills for a living. I am happier than puppy with two peckers to say that I had a overnight in ELP.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back