• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL or SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Got a budy who can't seem to decide. He has familly in NJ and IL so location doesn't matter.

What kind of homo cares how close his family is?

I'd take the company that has a domicile furthest from mine...

And next time, "buddy" has two "d"s, and "faimly" has one "l"

CAL is the only airline with a future. No passes at SWA, upgrade is 15 years now. sux.

I'll bring the thread back.

I have no doubt SWA will be an international airline in the next 3 years. Junior man on the property gets 15 days off per month. Our upgrade is just under 7 years and captains top out about $193 bucks an hour.

How does CAL compare to that? Don't ask a bunch of jerks like us our opinion, ask for facts. Then make your decision.

Gup

I'll help bring it back on track too. I'll list some +

CAL:

+Big airplanes. (a 757, 767 or 777 is a lot more comfy to stare out the window and/or the cockpit floor in. Left over 1st class meals too)
+One leg days (he l l, one leg 3 day trips)
+Not running from gate to gate or any of that crap. You go to work, you get on one airplane, fly one flight, and then go to the hotel/bar/etc for 24 hours. <widebody fleet only, a 73 is a 73>
+International destinations (and I'm not talking about Canada or Mexico) from day one if you want it.
+Year 3-4 777 F/O pay: $95 an hour, and you definitely aren't working that hard for it.
+When your neighbor sees you throwing your suitcase in your car, and asks "Where ya going on this trip buddy?", you're saying "Rome." or "Paris", not "Omaha."

SWA:

+Better money upfront. (first year pay is 'economically viable')
+Better money down the road (Captain Pay)
+Year 3-4 FO pay: $108 an hour (but you are working for it)
+Better job "stability"
+Young and/or fun FAs that put out (I have the child support payment to prove it)
+Mr. C's. (Careful, see above +)
+When your neighbor sees you throwing your suitcase in your car, and asks "Where ya going on this trip buddy?", you're saying "Omaha", but your car is nicer than the CAL guy's.

Make a decision and live with it.

Last edited:
And next time, "buddy" has two "d"s, and "faimly" has one "l"[/quote]

This is classic. The spell checker comes out swinging with "faimly".

Way to go bro!

Way to go bro!

My error was a function of dyslexia.

And learn to "quote" correctly. I think the community college is offering free HTML classes.

Way to go bro!

I think it is one of life's greatest little pleasures to see the spelling and grammar police chunk it while critiquing others. I'm still giggling.

On the subject at hand, given the choice of these two companies I would choose the one that has a domicile in a city I would want to live. Both companies are stable and seem to be healthy ongoing entities. Pay is just fine at either place. So for me it boils down to this; long term commuting is really not a good lifestyle choice.

Good luck to your friend.

I like the flying and variety of airplanes at CAL but I would have job security as the number one priority. SWA seems to be a safer bet but a hard decision regardless. Good luck.

+Young and/or fun FAs that put out (I have the child support payment to prove it)

I don't care who you are, thats funny $hit right there.............:beer:

Latest resources

Back