Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll help bring it back on track too. I'll list some +

CAL:

+Year 3-4 777 F/O pay: $95 an hour, and you definitely aren't working that hard for it.

SWA:

+Year 3-4 FO pay: $108 an hour (but you are working for it)

Flying for an airline does not qualify as "hard work". Even if it did, I wouldn't be afraid of working hard for a living.

I like the flying and variety of airplanes at CAL but I would have job security as the number one priority. SWA seems to be a safer bet but a hard decision regardless. Good luck.

WOW! Is that something positive about SWA from Capt Mega or did she forget to log out on a hotel computer?

My error was a function of dyslexia.

Then don't be so quick to slam others. We're supposed to ignore your stupid mistakes while you are a jerk to everyone else? Go to the library and get a Dale Carnige book. Check the spelling on the name though, I might have messed it up as a function of my laziness.

At SWA, if you have a health issue or a an injury that prevents you from flying anymore, the company will pay you 65% of your salary for the 1st 5 years, and then continue to pay you 60% until you turn 65. They will also cover your health insurance until you turn 65.

Don't know if CAL has that kind of protection or not, but it is huge piece of mind for us at SWA. Once you are here, the company considers you family and will take care of you as such no matter what.

Once you are here, the company considers you family and will take care of you as such no matter what.

That's a great benefit today, but I'm sure there were legacy pilots out there that thought the same of their pensions. If SWA gets into a pinch down the road, I hope that remains true.

To get back on topic, I think both companies look pretty good. I would look closely at culture, and domicile locations.

Now to get back off topic..............How about those #20 Salukis!!!!!

That's a great benefit today, but I'm sure there were legacy pilots out there that thought the same of their pensions. If SWA gets into a pinch down the road, I hope that remains true.

Apples and oranges. Pension plans and insurance plans are two different things. SWA isn't paying every single person in the company disability, just a random few here and there. Pensions are required to be paid to every single employee from retirement until they die, and then half to their spouses until THEY die.

In the grand scheme of things, the company loses very little by offering this type of insurance. Not many pilots become completely disabled. But it is comforting to know that you have it if it does happen.

+When your neighbor sees you throwing your suitcase in your car, and asks "Where ya going on this trip buddy?", you're saying "Rome." or "Paris", not "Omaha."

Unless PBS messed up your bid and you have have to commute in from PDX to do an El Paso turn.

GoodTimes says: "Flying for an airline does not qualify as "hard work". Even if it did, I wouldn't be afraid of working hard for a living."

Wow. You must be management.

Latest resources

Back