• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL mess

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Wanking"= choking the chicken, shaking hands with the unemployed..pulling ur pud...get it?

CAL is not that bad. This is the best aviation job I have ever had, but I do bid reserve and don't fly a lot (Usually 5-10 days per month).

If you chose to commute then you do it to yourself.

CAL is not that bad. This is the best aviation job I have ever had, but I do bid reserve and don't fly a lot (Usually 5-10 days per month).

If you chose to commute then you do it to yourself.

Some don't do it to themselves just because they like to commute. For some of us, this isn't the first major airline. Some are on their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th. If you started over on first year pay, and moved the family every time you'd be broke and divorced.

Let's face it, CAL has the worse base choices of about any Major airline. Maybe those satellite bases are right around the corner now that all flaws are worked out of PBS. <Heavy sarcasm>

Some don't do it to themselves just because they like to commute. For some of us, this isn't the first major airline. Some are on their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th. If you started over on first year pay, and moved the family every time you'd be broke and divorced.

Let's face it, CAL has the worse base choices of about any Major airline. Maybe those satellite bases are right around the corner now that all flaws are worked out of PBS. <Heavy sarcasm>

My commute to IAH has been the easiest I have ever done in my 17 yrs in this business. I regularly commute on the day of my trip and almost always get home on the last day. Yes, there are times it has been tight but the majority of the time it is a piece of cake. As for EWR or CLE, don't know how that would be but so far so good.

think of the $$ ya get

August bid has 737 FOs flying 90 plus hr lines, jr manning has been going on all week and a memo was just posted for voluntary jr manning until the 28th....but don't worry, you'll all get a vacation in Sept when you get furloughed. This airline is about as big of a joke as the union that can't do anything for us. I like the blastmail that went out saying they were going to demand to rerun the IAH 73 BES, but then decided it was ok, they didnt want to impose to big of a problem to the company, so once again we get to take it in the shorts while the worthless union does nothing for us......Anyone else having this problem??

Think of the $$$ those FOs are making since some don't make a big coin. Gotta be a bright side to something in this industry.

Uuhh.....hell I'm too tired to see if you're joking. Going back to sleep because of my complete EXHAUSTION at CAL......

Yeah, $2800/month (that's about 90 hrs on 1st year pay) is great coin. <sarcasm>

I think not only the company, but the union took notice of events last week. The fact that ops could not fill the 737 right seats with $2800/mo FOs and had to fill them $225 CAs (this is what 1.5 x pay was) was a wakeup call. There is unity in the bottom third and they make up enough to move the company. The negotiating committee has got to notice this. They will demand their due and they have the unity to get it.

Once again it should be noted that while the A Fund cannot be touched outside of bankruptcy, the lump is a negotiated item and can be contractually eliminated. The bottom third--and really everyone hired after 1999--would eliminate this lump sum option away in a heartbeat for better work rules and pay. How would like to have to depend on an airline to pay an annuity to you for the rest of your life. The likelihood that you'd see it all seems remote. If I'm not mistaken, annuities were taken/reduced when turned over to the PBGC in recent bankruptcies and were thereby capped at $29,500/yr.

The negotiating committee is going to have to start looking hard at how to get yes votes in the bottom third of the pilot group. The company would love to do away with the lump sum option. The possibility of this happening is real and could send the over 65 pilots--and many more than that--running for the exits.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back