• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL mess

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let's make August a "NWA August." 150% for everything over 80 hours, for everyone. With average lines over 90 hours in some seats, maybe the pinch would be enough not to furlough.

Too bad NWA is losing 150% pay over 80 hours in the merger. It's just one of many things that NWA has now and won't have after the merger. I didn't realize things were that bad at CAL.

Chalk me up as one of the guys that has not answered his phone either. Ive finally shut it off because of waking me up at 2am-6am. Seven calls altogether the last 2 days. As a junior lineholder, there are somethings more important than money. Ie: time with family.

Chalk me up as one of the guys that has not answered his phone either. Ive finally shut it off because of waking me up at 2am-6am. Seven calls altogether the last 2 days. As a junior lineholder, there are somethings more important than money. Ie: time with family.

My "alarm" went off again this morning just after 8. Didn't answer it.

Do I understand this correctly? Delta is asking for pilot leaves? I was not aware of that. I thought you guys were going to hire by the end of the year?

For starters, believe no hiring rumors until you actually see the guys in new-hire indoc. I think we all agree with that.

What he was referring to was the SILs. SILs were a neat little thing agreed to a few years ago. The idea is that when mgmt sees a temporary overmanning in a category (such as this fall's large drawdown in block hours) one way they can attempt to deal with it is to offer SILs, like we have for Sept.

An SIL does not ever have to be posted by crew resources, nor is any pilot ever obligated to bid on one or accept one. However, if a pilot did do so, and was awarded one, he would receive 55 hours pay for the month, but also would be on a one-week vacation with absolutely zero contact required to the company.

The company saves a few $$ because most likely the pilot(s) in question would have bid reserve and sat around not doing much. On the other hand, sitting on reserve (even if you don't fly) still entails a contact and required availability. So for the pilot who doesn't mind losing 15 hours pay (our reserve guarantee is 70) for a month off with no required contact with the company, the SIL can be a good deal.

In fact I know guys who have been awarded two consecutive SILs, then get 60 days of military orders. Works well for them!

Thats still pretty incredible at 3 years. Been at NWA for 10 years and I am nowhere close to upgrade. With the merger pending with DAL, its impossible for me to even guess when upgrade will occur?

Do I understand this correctly? Delta is asking for pilot leaves? I was not aware of that. I thought you guys were going to hire by the end of the year?

For starters, believe no hiring rumors until you actually see the guys in new-hire indoc. I think we all agree with that.

What he was referring to was the SILs. SILs were a neat little thing agreed to a few years ago. The idea is that when mgmt sees a temporary overmanning in a category (such as this fall's large drawdown in block hours) one way they can attempt to deal with it is to offer SILs, like we have for Sept. SIL stands for Supplementary Incentive Line.

SILs are one-month-at-a-time entities, only apply to the specific categories that crew resources deems appropriate, do not ever have to be posted by crew resources, nor is any pilot ever obligated to bid on one or accept one if one is indeed offered. However, if a pilot did do so, and was awarded one, he would receive 55 hours pay for the month, but also would get the month off with absolutely zero contact required to the company. This is in addition to any regular vacation the pilot has for the year.

The company saves a few $$ because most likely the pilot(s) in question would have bid reserve and sat around not doing much and getting 70 hrs pay, the reserve guarantee. On the other hand, sitting on reserve (even if you don't fly) still entails a contact and required availability. So for the pilot who doesn't mind losing 15 hours pay for a month off with no required contact with the company, the SIL can be a good deal.

In fact I know guys who have been awarded two consecutive SILs and spent 60 days flying for the reserves!

It has been awhile since SILs were posted, but we have quite a few for Sept.

This reminds me of my Great Lakes days when junior manning was rampant. On days off, you never answered your phone. You would always let the machine answer it. Junior manning was always the biggest QOL issue for me. I am sooo glad I can answer the phone today and say 'Nope'.

I've been thinking about this whole mess, The only way I would accept a junior man assignment was if the money I earned went directly to assist those who may be furloughed in the near future. Would have been a novel idea the union could have come up with. What better way to show your fellow brothers and sisters that you are on their side and you actually care about what maybe coming down the road for them.

Latest resources

Back