• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cal mec response to ual mec

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 737 pays more than the A320 at Delta I believe. And, you just won't lump the 777 with the 75/76. It should be lumped with the 744, that way more pilots are paid at the top scale. You United pilots are blinded by ego, and your airline is the weaker of the two together. You guys may be the next USAir East pilots(idiots).

Lets go to a UPS pay scale ever plane pays on longevity and longevity alone! Problem solved right!

Lets go to a UPS pay scale ever plane pays on longevity and longevity alone! Problem solved right!

This^^^^

Maybe this bit of infighting is just what you need to get it done

Last edited:
There has been a lot of discussion on the line at the big D about the 747 pay rate. Many feel that the if the pay rate should have been higher. I agree with the higher pay rate simply due to the larger size in pax and freight.

The 737 pays more than the 320 and the MD88/90 is paid less although the 88 seats 149 and the 90 159. Their is talk about correcting the narrow body pay rates during contract 2012 negot.

To get the pay rates at D corrected will cost negot. capital during contract 2012. If during the merger when the airline management wanted the JCBA ASAP in order to close the merger, both pilot groups could have achieved the higher pay scale with less negot. capital.

Management will always press time as a factor to close the deal ASAP, their bonuses depend on it. Take as long as needed to hash it out while in the drivers seat. It will be worth it in the long run.

The issue here is not that the 747-400 get its own top category... The ISSUE is that the UAL MEC is trying to do an end around and get the top slots in the SLI by claiming the 747 as the top category.

United's pay sucks, their product sucks, their management sucks, their planes are garbage, their scope sucks and the majority of passengers hate to fly them. Go ahead and make the 747 the highest pay category in the "new Joint Contract". But as far as the SLI goes, treat it like a CAL 757... because that is all it currently pays and that is all it brings to the SLI table....

As far as the SLI goes your career expectations (i.e. CURRENT pay) and the relative seniority you bring to the table will rule the day. Thankfully all the UAL MEC has done is demonstrate how little you can trust them to do the right thing even this early in the game.

Last edited:
If rogue elements of the UAL MEC (read the letter, they already agreed not to unband) want to play this tactic then they are going to royally screw their laid off pilots, not to mention their active pilots as well. We will have no choice but to scrap the TPA and start over if they chose to ignore the signed and agreed-upon terms This would mean we no longer hire their furloughed pilots... at earned longevity pay rates, I might add (something mgmt would be all too happy to oblige since they could bring in New FOs at yr 1 pay instead). Furthermore, if the TPA is scrapped, the CAL group will have the upper hand in an SLI arbitration due to stronger merger and fragmentation language in our contract vs theirs. Not our fault, that, like their tragic scope language they allowed into their contract, is a path UAL pilots set themselves on long ago.

I for one plan to contact my reps and ask that we offer to scrap the TPA if this is how UAL pilots want to play ball. We gave them loads in the TPA and we got diddly. Now they think they can try to railroad us? The UAL MEC has seriously miscalculated here. We can and will tie this up for years if necessary. I think

most CAL pilots agree we have the staying power to do so.

I fully expect mgmt to play this one to the hilt. Expect whipsawing to occur in backroom negotiations almost immediately.

Career expectations, Wendy? Seriously? Are you that disconnected from reality? Let's see, CAL is growing, recalling all furloughs, hiring, accepting new aircraft deliveries every month, has 25 WBs coming next year, (plus 35 firm options), has twice as many retirements as UAL, and has something you guys could only dream of, a real scope clause. Your 70 seat debacle far outweighs any benefits of a few more WBs (few more for now, that playing field is about to get leveled). In fact it directly led to the firing of 1437 of your own brothers and sisters in '08-'09 as the 70 seaters took over 737 routes. And it is undermining our own contract efforts as the new mgmt team seeks to spool up 70 seat flying (read all the recent route announcements). Now tell me again what does UAL bring to the table? Old 757s which are surely to get parked and a dinosaur (as beautiful and aircraft as it may be) called the 747? Anybody who doesn't think those aircraft will get permanently parked in the next 2-5 yrs is an Ostrich (read: head buried deep in the sand). There is a reason nobody is ordering the 748.

Nice job, Wendy Morse. What a leader you are proving to be. :(

Last edited:
The issue here is not that the 747-400 get its own top category... The ISSUE is that the UAL MEC is trying to do an end around and get the top slots in the SLI by claiming the 747 as the top category.

United's pay sucks, their product sucks, their management sucks, their planes are garbage, their scope sucks and the majority of passengers hate to fly them. Go ahead and make the 747 the highest pay category in the "new Joint Contract". But as far as the SLI goes, treat it like a CAL 757... because that is all it currently pays and that is all it brings to the SLI table....

As far as the SLI goes your career expectations (i.e. CURRENT pay) and the relative seniority you bring to the table will rule the day. Thankfully all the UAL MEC has done is demonstrate how little you can trust them to do the right thing even this early in the game.

1. Please tell me, IF the SLI argument DOES NOT USE the JCBA details, how can your first paragraph be true?

2. In your last paragraph, if the JCBA details ARE NOT used, would that not be the case?

3. Now, who wants to use the JCBA to influence the SLI arguments?

1. Please tell me, IF the SLI argument DOES NOT USE the JCBA details, how can your first paragraph be true?

2. In your last paragraph, if the JCBA details ARE NOT used, would that not be the case?

3. Now, who wants to use the JCBA to influence the SLI arguments?

My understanding is that we were advised by leading merger experts and teams of lawyers that an arbitrator would not be able to ignore it even if language were drawn up otherwise.

Sort of like a judge asking a jury to ignore glaring evidence on a technicality. Once the cat is out of the bag, perception is influenced by EVERY detail, whether allowed in to the argument or not.

While UAL/CAL ALPA measure their respective little weiners, Republic and SkyWest move into the former CAL bases with 70 seaters. You guys are hopeless....

Yep, UAL and their pathetic scope language muddied the waters on that issue. But we still have a contract. Mgmt will not be able to fly 70 seaters in without a protracted and ugly legal fight. Not to mention most feel we would be within our rights to shut the airline down if that were to occur.

I expect mgmt to capitulate in the end here. The meager cost savings, and I use the term "savings" loosely, simply isn't worth the fight to them. They are testing us, that's all. Expect more of it. If we were to give in on 70 seater flying in our hubs, they will test in other areas as well. But they will lose this fight nonetheless.

What could, happen, however, is they further expand 70 seat ops on the UAL side of the fence. What will that do for their "career expectation" Wendy loves to trump so much?

My understanding is that we were advised by leading merger experts and teams of lawyers that an arbitrator would not be able to ignore it even if language were drawn up otherwise.

Sort of like a judge asking a jury to ignore glaring evidence on a technicality. Once the cat is out of the bag, perception is influenced by EVERY detail, whether allowed in to the argument or not.

So, you basically are saying that the CAL MEC does feel it will influence the SLI, so they want to make sure the JCBA favors them.

Which make Pierce a liar when he says that (to paraphrase), 'The CAL MEC is doing what they agreed to do, leaving the JCBA and SLI as separate items.'

The whole point of the transition agreement separating the two was to avoid a USAir debacle. To keep them separate, get as much as possible in the JCBA, then move on to the SLI, which SHOULD NOT BE influenced by the JCBA.

Yet, the CAL MEC wants to limit gains, or make sure that gains are tied to their pre-merger equipment, instead of trying to get the best contract possible. All because they feel the JCBA is going to influence the SLI.

USAir II, here we come.

And please save me the argument of higher pay for the largest aircraft is "taking that money away from somewhere else". That's fine. Pay your numerous large 737s the same as the small ones, and we can redistribute that money so we can all get paid more too.

Latest resources

Back