• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL JAN Class Breakdowns

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would an employer want to hire a guys who will be absent for 50% of their first year? Honestly, can you blame them for not wanting to hire guys who can forgo work when they like? A civilian guy cannot walk into the CP's office and say "hey dude, my part time Falcon job needs me the next 3 weeks, I aint comin in." I could care less either way but I understand why they don't like to hire guys who have other commitments.

Because it is illegal to discriminate based on whether an individual is a reservist or not, hence the lawsuit.

It doesn't matter if they want to hire or not. They cannot discriminate solely on the basis of one's military status.

In my class of 16 (Dec 11 07 ), there were 5 military. None mentioned any issue about those type of questions in the interview..... so apparently they're still hiring plenty of military folk. More than one of our indoc instructors emphasized that there would be no problem with military leave (at the time it didn't seem like anything significant, it only sticks in my mind now that I read this thread).

The military guys in my class were all top notch good folks. We had a lot of fun together. I definately think the blend of express/ regional 121, military, and large 121 (like ATA or AT) put a good perspective in the group, and that mix suited our class very well I thought. All of us were able to add our bit and the whole group benefitted for sure.

In my class of 16 (Dec 11 07 ), there were 5 military. None mentioned any issue about those type of questions in the interview..... so apparently they're still hiring plenty of military folk. More than one of our indoc instructors emphasized that there would be no problem with military leave (at the time it didn't seem like anything significant, it only sticks in my mind now that I read this thread).

The military guys in my class were all top notch good folks. We had a lot of fun together. I definately think the blend of express/ regional 121, military, and large 121 (like ATA or AT) put a good perspective in the group, and that mix suited our class very well I thought. All of us were able to add our bit and the whole group benefitted for sure.

Hey I noticed you are flying the 737. How was training on that and what are the trips like? Thanks

Hey I noticed you are flying the 737. How was training on that and what are the trips like? Thanks

Are you bailing out on Delta?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Figured I'd add my 2 cents...

Interviewed with JB last year. During the interview was asked a TMAAT question and gave a "military" flying answer. (Had already answered about 6 other questions with Regional Airline Flying answers)
The interviewer gave me an attitude and wanted another answer. Gave it to him.
Did not get hired or even past Phase 1~

Was told afterwards that the guy asking me was anti military. Oh well...

Interview at Delta and get asked why I fly so much at the Guard, when I'm getting out and why I have my military Flight Engineer time in my logbook.
Explained that I fly on my days off, helping out my unit as best as I can. Also that I have over 20 years and can retire but am still doing alittle with everything that is going on.
Did not get hired~

Interviewed with CAL and was asked about my mil duty and how hard it is to stay current in two aircraft in a round about way. I was asked about my flight time and I think they may have been looking at my logbook to see how much mil duty I do. I must have given a decent answer because I was hired.

In my new hire class, there were 2 other mil guys (active duty) and myself.
I have been told that the CP at my base isn't against mil duty (hopefully!) but I do agree that there are people who abuse it and those who don't. Think every case is different.

Glad I'm here annd looking to getting on line and doing some mil stuff on days off. But I'm lucky, I live in base and my unit is close by too... like I said, every case is different.

I don't think CAL is anti mil, but also know that being mil isn't a "get hired for free card".

Always
Motch

I don't think CAL is anti mil, but also know that being mil isn't a "get hired for free card".

-Motch

Finally someone here gets it. Thank you.

Nothing "kiddie" about it. Anyone who is willing to throw their own brothers and sisters under the bus for quicker upgrade and more pay (but still horrible pay nonetheless) at their regional will have no problems doing the same thing to their own at a major. If Continental goes on strike at some point, this guy will probably be the first to cross the picket line for his chance at the left seat.

Is it "kiddie" that someone will crush your quality of life to better their own? Not hardly...
I owe you a beer SIR

Figured I'd add my 2 cents...

Interviewed with JB last year. During the interview was asked a TMAAT question and gave a "military" flying answer. (Had already answered about 6 other questions with Regional Airline Flying answers)
The interviewer gave me an attitude and wanted another answer. Gave it to him.
Did not get hired or even past Phase 1~

Sorry to hear that you got a anti-military jerk, but wanted to make sure people know that there are a ton of military guys at Jetblue. I had 3 in my class of 10 (all were active before JB) and from what I hear mgmt is very easy to work with regarding scheduling.

Again, sorry you got a jerk, it happens some times.
-Bean

Try not to get emotional here, and no I'm not kidding. Think of it from a bankers/HR prospective. They simple do not want to spend money on guys that will miss a great deal of work. I'm not defending the policy but they are not the only carrier who has demonstrated this unwillingness. Hell, CX is downright open about their objection.

CX is a foreign carrier, they aren't required to.

Think of it this way: US Airlines benefit from the freedom of our country to engage in global capitalism and commerce. There is no greater protector of that freedom than a strong US military. If I was an HR person, I would want as many military folks working for me as possible, their enhanced value to the organization far outweighs the minor cost of their occasional absences.

Latest resources

Back