CAL giving up on EWR?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't think so!

There is talk of major shrinkage in Newark. And not of the Costanza kind.

Don't think so...EWR is the cash cow for CAL.

While they (CAL mngmnt) may be reducing the pilots based in EWR, they are not reducing departures / arrivals out of EWR from what I can understand. This seems to be an attempt to disperse the power base of the EWR LC 170 (you know....those hot heads up there in EWR).

It never ceases to amaze me the extent management will go to to manipulate the pilot group. All at the cost of screwing with peoples (read families) lives just so they can try to leverage during contract negotiations.

I don't see how they sleep at night.

System bid is out?...No bulletin announcing it?

I can't find it.

310, 178 less positions?

A new mitigation LOA?

Nothing confirmed.

Nothing

CAL SUCKS.... I can't wait until SWA, Delta, FedEx and NetJets starts hiring again... Biggest joke of a operation... Been here 4 years and the place gets cheaper each day, while the senior pilots bitch that they can't fly 90 hours + lines anymore because of the union

It's official with the system bid out this morning. 146 total reductions, with the bulk out of NYC. For the 737, there are 136 NYC FO positions and 118 NYC CA positions gone. NYC 757 is hit as well, just not as severe.

Gains in IAH, and a smattering of GUM spots. CLE stays roughly the same with 2 vacancies.

I wouldn't read too much into mgm't playing the numbers game for voting. I've met plenty of pissed off IAH pilots who want to see their life improve, and the cross mingling of bases that will occur with this might help with communication between bases.

I wish them luck with this reduction though--Can't wait to see what Babbitt proposes and then everything will change again... They shouldn't even consider this bid until more is known. That is true stupidity.

Navin

Where the ******************** do these corksuckers get off cutting that many postions when EVERY********************ING flight is oversold enough to fill 2 more airplanes. Somone needs to smash these ********************bags in the jaw with a pipe wrench and leave them with no medical attention. IM ********************ING SICK OF THIS BULL********************!!!!!!!!

Total reduction of 146. Does not take mitigation into account(if any).

The previous 2008 furlough had a reduction of 185. 147 furloughed on that one. Mitigation was "supposedly" taken into account.

What happened to the 4 ata 757s and the 2 777s supposedly coming online in 2010?

It's a huge loss for Newark. Losing over 20 percent seniority myself, and worse yet I'm concerned we might put more people out of work...

I'm wondering why they're shifting so much flying down to IAH... It can't be just because the base is more 'compliant'. There has to be other reasons beside that. It'll balloon the FO's on the 737 to around 700 pilots down in IAH.

Methinks this might help with a merger. Something is up. I smell a rat. Ideas anyone?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back