• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cal ecpected to cave on scope

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A lot of former fmr's and some very junior Captains. Thank you for understanding my opinions of ALPA. Unlike a very select few on this board, you can see and respect there is a difference in opinions.

Honestly, when I hired on here 3 years ago my thoughts were to not get involved in the scab debate because those events were well ahead of my time (I was still in high school) and it seemed odd to continue this issue for so long.

Nonetheless, I have noticed that one can tell a scab within minutes of getting in the cockpit. There is something about the old 'law of primacy' that is lacking in every detail of their demeanor and flight management. Just an opinion.

As for the FMR's, I only recently learned who they are and don't correlate them with scabs in any way. My chief pilot (756 Ass't chief) is an fmr and the only decent person I have ever worked with in the front office at CAL.

“Small Turboprop” means turboprop aircraft with an FAA certification of seventynine
(79) or fewer seats.

“Small Jet” means jet aircraft with an FAA certification of fifty (50) or fewer seats.

Our scope keeps anything larger than these aircraft at the mainline level. Thus creating more mainline jobs, more mainline payscales, more mainline retirement benefits, and more mainline opportunities.

Turboprops are great. If CAL finds one that is bigger than 79 seats and wants to fly our passengers with it then I will bid LTP and be paid nicely for it. Sounds like fun.

I have zero issues with the size of the airplane. Sad to say, but if you were to look at our scope section and apply it to 30 years ago then CAL's group would be laughed at. Now we are 'holding the line' on equipment that continues to blur the careers of the profession. The L188s, DC-9s, F28s, F100s of today are now being flown for the same wages 30 years later (without being adjusted for inflation). That has had a dramatic affect on pilot wages across the board from the regional level to the majors.

I hope to see a LTP or a new breed SNB at CAL...with Continental Airlines on the side and a CAL crew steering the ship.

Is CAL scope stated as 50 jets and 79 seat t-props or "small jet" and " small turboprop?" I ask because 50 and 79 seats will always be 50 and 79 seats. "Small jet" and "small turboprop" might not always mean 50 seats and 79 seats. I imagine its not hard to get the Faa to change that.

Baaaaaahhhh! I don't think mainline should give up on scope! Baaaaaaaaaaahhhh! Yea, regional jets belong at mainline!!!! Baaaaaaahhh! I can't think for myself!!!! I'm living in fantasyland! Obama good!!! McCain Baaaaad!

I am willing to strike for many things and scope is one of them. We will not be caving on scope. Nothing to see here folks...move along.
I hope your right......But what happens, oil at 130-140, with 500+ CAL furloughs and a looming bankruptcy. Will ALPA fold to save the senior guys their job. Or will we finally step up to the plate and say NO MORE freaking outsourcing!!!!!!

Not NOW, Not EVER!!!!

Never will that be acceptable, and most certainly is a strikable item even if it puts me on the streets for a while.

Do not ask again, and don't throw things in like this trying to distract us from the big picture. In addition, take your damn buddy passes. Positive space on another airline for a cheaper cost from now on!!! Oh yeah, they probably will ask us to negotiate for these back at a lower rate attempting to distract us from the real case at hand. Pissing employees off who make you your "RECORD PROFITS" can cost you more than they know...

And, you are welcome for the zero interest loan CAL. And, no it wasn't my piece of the pie you had... It was my hard earned cash you took, used, and didn't pay me interest on...

Get Real... we are still the second lowest paid LEGECY carrier... Look at the stats...

Is CAL scope stated as 50 jets and 79 seat t-props or "small jet" and " small turboprop?" I ask because 50 and 79 seats will always be 50 and 79 seats. "Small jet" and "small turboprop" might not always mean 50 seats and 79 seats. I imagine its not hard to get the Faa to change that.

The "small jet" and "small turboprop" monikers are used in the scope section.

Their definitions as 50 seats and 79 seat "FAA certification" are also in the scope section under definitions.

The FAA can change whatever they want but its the numbers in the contractual definition that are binding to CAL.

“Small Turboprop” means turboprop aircraft with an FAA certification of seventynine
(79) or fewer seats.

“Small Jet” means jet aircraft with an FAA certification of fifty (50) or fewer seats.

Our scope keeps anything larger than these aircraft at the mainline level. Thus creating more mainline jobs, more mainline payscales, more mainline retirement benefits, and more mainline opportunities.

Turboprops are great. If CAL finds one that is bigger than 79 seats and wants to fly our passengers with it then I will bid LTP and be paid nicely for it. Sounds like fun.

I have zero issues with the size of the airplane. Sad to say, but if you were to look at our scope section and apply it to 30 years ago then CAL's group would be laughed at. Now we are 'holding the line' on equipment that continues to blur the careers of the profession. The L188s, DC-9s, F28s, F100s of today are now being flown for the same wages 30 years later (without being adjusted for inflation). That has had a dramatic affect on pilot wages across the board from the regional level to the majors.

I hope to see a LTP or a new breed SNB at CAL...with Continental Airlines on the side and a CAL crew steering the ship.

Fantastic post. well said.

How about instead of all of us getting defensive or comparing penis sizes- we all realize that major airlines started out flying B-247's and DC-3's. When did we become too good to fly ANY turboprop? I don't care if they want me to fly a hot air balloon, more lists equals more whipsawing. We've seen where that has got us.

This is one of my complaints w/ ALPA-national- they should charge every MEC in the country to come up w/ a plan to get all brand flying back done by ONE list. I'm not seeing leadership.

In the meantime- way to truly "get" it Continental. Stand strong on this. If scope goes any direction- it's to get smaller airplanes on mainline property.

Latest resources

Back