• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cal ecpected to cave on scope

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was with a CAL captain the other day and was suprised by what he said about this. His spin was that we would have to outsource this flying mainly because of the other airlines period. 1) the company would not get the cost savings in labor cost so we would be at a disadvantage to the other network carriers. No surprise there. 2) We wouldn't get the quality of applicants. He felt people wouldn't leave the military or there current regional to be a fo on 170 or 190 or any other smaller plane. We also talked about the Q400 or any larger future possibility and his argument was still the same. Are people going to want to come to CAL to be a Q400 fo or a MD80/DC9 fo at delta/NW or a 737/airbus fo at united or southwest. I came from a dash8-200 and said I would have still came because of the opportunity of other things, but he thinks no one will come.

Who cares. What does he know? I don't care if someone would want to come to my company or not. Scope will go nowhere but tighter, at all airlines from here forward. The cat is out of the bag, but it won't continue to scratch our eyes out. Kill the little thing (hey big meat, just kiddin man). If no one comes to a company, there is a demand for pilots, or an ability to demand greater pay. It's all ball bearings fellas. I'm not sure what you've said up there, but if it has to do with a lack of people applying, great.

ARGHHHH! Who cares! I am long past caring about the size of the airplane I fly. It is all about the paycheck. If some bozo won't come to CAL because the planes aren't big enough, but the pay check is.....I wouldn't want him here anyways. For the right pay, I'll fly anything.

I was with a CAL captain the other day and was suprised by what he said about this. His spin was that we would have to outsource this flying mainly because of the other airlines period. 1) the company would not get the cost savings in labor cost so we would be at a disadvantage to the other network carriers. No surprise there. 2) We wouldn't get the quality of applicants. He felt people wouldn't leave the military or there current regional to be a fo on 170 or 190 or any other smaller plane. We also talked about the Q400 or any larger future possibility and his argument was still the same. Are people going to want to come to CAL to be a Q400 fo or a MD80/DC9 fo at delta/NW or a 737/airbus fo at united or southwest. I came from a dash8-200 and said I would have still came because of the opportunity of other things, but he thinks no one will come.

Distingushed class of 83-84, no doubt.

I'm proud of this thread...
Stand strong all-
Seniority is meaningless w/o scope- of course a company wants us to do this=- but there's only one answer...and you all are giving it-- I'd tell captain's like the one above EXACTLY how i feel about his incredibly short-sighted opinions.

please tell us that after this CAL CA told you this you proceeded to crack him squarely in the head with the crash ax.

Last edited:
I would rather see this airline shut down then give one inch on scope relief.

FYI my friend and fellow SPSC committee member was traveling home from EWR to IAH after teaching ALPA P2P last week. He spoke to Larry Kellner CAL CEO in the galley of the airplane for over two hours. Below is a copy of his post on our forum about the Skywest/XJT situation.

FYI 1500 new hires and 1000 less pilots off the top of the list since POS Contract 02 was ratified. I think you will see this group strike over scope relief.

"Personally spoken to me By LK as best I can remember how he put it. " the 170/190 jets are already past their prime. With fuel prices we are focused on less frequency while offering the same seats in our markets. traffic congestion is a problem along with fuel and these A/C don't work anymore. We aren't interested in these airplanes at present."

Maybe the price isn't right yet but his message seemed there was a time when these A/C looked great on the balance sheet, but that time is running out fast just as it has for the 50 seater's.

SCOPE STAYS, THEY CAN HAVE THEM BUT THEY ARE MAINLINE a/c. and CAL does not want another fleet type he said also."

His spin is that he's probably a scab and he'd sell out anybody and everybody to enrich himself. Gutless POS.

He's shilling for the company union busters when he presents scope as an anachronism and something that is inevitable to be lost, so why fight it. Giving in on scope is like not killing the crocodile hoping that he'll eat you last. But eat you he will.

Latest resources

Back