Busted Checkride - How to Explain?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, eh, how long is a TAF good for?

You tend to forget these things after awhile anyway.

psunder said:
I have one, my student pass ratio is superb... a bust is more a refection on the instructor than the student. Outside my PPL I never received ANY ground from my instructor.

Incorrect, you need to know the examiner I went with. I have been referred to as "crazy" and "masochistic" for my choice in examiners. This mans pass rate is about 50%.... now you tell me how many checkride you would have bused had you failed 50% of them?

Now the excuses are kicking in and I see why this would be a problem on an interview. Remember IT IS YOUR FAULT. Dont blame the instructor, dont blame the examiner, IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT.

By the way, if I failed 50% of my checkrides, I would be looking for a new career as I would not trust myself in an airplane. But luckily I have not busted 1.

That's what I thought, as in valid for the time it says it's valid for? But I'm sure there is a real, short answer here somewhere.

Nobody is perfect. We are only human. It doesn't make you a better or worse pilot. Thier are many things people are good at besides flying when it comes to getting a job. Character, personality, social skills. Just another side of it to look at.

There are really 2 TAF's a 24 hour and a 9 hour. The 9 hour is mostly used over seas.
The date and validity is on the TAF itself. It will read something like "111150 111212" meaning the TAF was made on the 11th at 1150Z and is valid from 1200Z on the 11th until 1200Z on the 12th, ie 24hrs.

psunder said:
Simply untrue. For six people I know of at my flight school the ONLY checkride they ever busted was the ONLY time they ever took this examiner... that’s a fact. As for my initial (MEI) with the FSDO, NO ONE from our school has EVER passed an initial checkride with this man.
I think you've stumbled on to the most important thing you've missed. You've referred to your school and the bust rate of folks associated with it.

You're being sent a message both by a DPE and by the FAA proper as I understand it. How 'bout you pay attention!

And antoher thing, if you bust a private pilot checkride, okay, maybe there's some blame for the instructor. Instrument? Yeah probably there too. Commercial? Nope! You're a licensed pilot applying to become a PROFESSIONAL pilot. It's your gig to screw up not the instructor's.

CFI? CFI candidates do not fail simply because they go to the FAA for their test. They fail because they are ILL PREPARED for the test they will be given. I have signed off 17 initial CFI applicants and another 25 additional instructor endorsements. Know what? Not a SINGLE ONE ever failed - not with the FAA and not with a DPE - ever.

Look, I don't know you but I know you're in a hurry - that's why you're at a school. What's your hurry? The paycheck isn't bigger if you get there faster. On the other hand, your lack of experience can become a liability if you "live the dream" too quickly. One has only to look at a recent accident on a CRJ to know this.

psunder said:
I AM TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, the only thing I am saying is that I would not (as a categorical fact) have busted but maybe one checkride had I chosen different examiners. So, yes I SCREWED UP, however... that would not have cost me a bust with other examiners. Let me say that again, I SCREWED UP, I leaned from that, and I am as good an instructor as you will find today because of it with a student pass rate that is far more a reflection of my abilities than what before essentially amounted to a test of how well I trained myself since my instructor never did a dang thing but milk me for time (I pretty much taught myself from the multi-private up).
you're not listening to what you're being told by some VERY sage and wise advisors here. STOP blaming the examiner already. The checks were yours to fail, GET IT?!? Your refusal to accept this very simple reality is going to bar you from progressing to the top of this business. I've seen your kind many many times. You make mistakes you shouldn't make and always have a convenient excuse at the ready when pressed on it. Yup, been there, done that, got the tee-shirt.

Adjust your attitude and accept the things you do not do so well. Accepting one's faults is the surest way to avoid having them become liabilities when the chips are down.

TIS

So there you go psunder.

It couldn't be any clearer than from this cross-section of professional pilots.

In the best tradition of aviators, we've tried to help an new guy out when he asked for help. We've done our job, now it's time for you to do yours. If I were you, I'd print these responses out and refer to them weekly in order to keep yourself on track to changing your perspective on aviation, your future and how you're going to get there, and most importantly, yourself.

We used to say when we interviewed that the best predictor of future performance is your past performance because frankly, without a truly life-changing event, a person never changes. You've got to find your own life-changing event.

Now, go out there and find it.

Best of luck,

UAL78

psunder said:
Once again, incorrect. I AM TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, the only thing I am saying is that I would not (as a categorical fact) have busted but maybe one checkride had I chosen different examiners. So, yes I SCREWED UP, however... that would not have cost me a bust with other examiners. Let me say that again, I SCREWED UP, I leaned from that, and I am as good an instructor as you will find today because of it with a student pass rate that is far more a reflection of my abilities than what before essentially amounted to a test of how well I trained myself since my instructor never did a dang thing but milk me for time (I pretty much taught myself from the multi-private up).
I doubt Pinnacle is going to care so much about the busted rides when they give you an interview. But they sure are going to have a lot of fun when you come out of the sim eval looking like a bear rolled you around in the prairie looking for that jelly doughnut in your pocket.

TIS said:
CFI? CFI candidates do not fail simply because they go to the FAA for their test. They fail because they are ILL PREPARED for the test they will be given. I have signed off 17 initial CFI applicants and another 25 additional instructor endorsements. Know what? Not a SINGLE ONE ever failed - not with the FAA and not with a DPE - ever.

That's a pretty impressive rate especially considering that at some FSDO's only 10-20% pass their initial CFI ride on the first time. I hear over and over again from the examiners in my FSDO (that is known for being "tough" on CFI tests) that they also are also very impressed when those rare individuals come to them well prepared and ready to kick some ass and take names on their flight test. I tell initial CFI applicants they will only be signed off when they are ready to nail everything down and are solid on the PTS. It may take a little longer and cost a little more than it would with another instructor but we'll do what it takes to get them to a high level of confidence so they can pass the test and, more importantly, able to work effectively as a CFI. Good job on the pass rate! We need more instructors that approach test prep your way.

Latest resources

Back