• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Busted Checkride - How to Explain?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, to be fair the pass rate at the SJC FSDO is about 50%, so those were the “odds” that my students faced. But the thing is that it’s not about odds at all. Properly prepared individuals face virtually NO possibility of failure. When you’re ready to do the job the very instant the ink begins to dry on the temp certificate, everyone will know it.

I should mention that I didn’t take all who came to me for instruction. It’s not that I was being a snob but rather that I chose those I believed had the right attitude to do the job. Aviation is unique in the professional world because there are a very few professions where lives are at stake EVERY time one exercises the skills required for the job. These skills require deft initial installation and CONSTANT retooling throughout a career. An attitude of entitlement does not foster meeting these requirements.

I’m a tough instructor – just ask any of my former students. I demand a lot and I’m not easily pleased. Sincere back-breaking effort is all that will inspire me to believe that you mean what you say when you say that you want to be a professional pilot. Why? Because it’s a business that requires this level of effort to reach its loftiest heights of success.

Here’s some odds for ya: Only one in ten applicants will be offered a position by any particular major airline to which they apply. That is a 90% failure rate! How’re them 50% odds lookin’ now?

So, for those who think they’re entitled to a job because they meet a company’s hiring minimums think again. Those are not the qualifications that will matter in the long run. It’s not about flight time or passes and failures. It’s about maturity and the wisdom that comes with it. It’s about it being obvious that those things are in place and in play during an interview. It’s about ALWAYS understanding that there was a better way to do what you just did well.

TIS

UAL78 said:
Let me give you some perspective from the standpoint of a person who used to give pilot interviews- and that of a flight instructor too.

Even the best pilots have busted check rides. An interviewer is looking for somebody who takes the adult attitude toward that sort of thing, takes full responsibility for it, makes it right and learns from it and moves on.

Good luck.

I like what you had to say here.

Now that you mentioned interviews, I have always wanted to ask someone who did interviews at UAL (I assume you were there based on the UAL user) how some of those really good guys that we all know with heavy jet time got turned down and so many others who just graduated from college with oh so little time got hired there? I have often wondered how anyone with little time could have the experience gained in aviation to answer the "tell me about a time" questions that you asked? I mean, werent those answers supposed to be based on an individuals experience working together with another pilot in a two/three pilot cockpit environment? And if that was the case, wouldnt this individual have had perhaps at least some turbine or jet time rather than just recip time? How could someone that flew only small recips have the knowledge,skills, maturity level and experience gained to answer the questions which UAL asked, specifically those concerning a two person aircraft and questions related to CRM? Take the average 10k hour pilot with 8 type ratings, PIC and jet time..........would you ask the same questions to an applicant that had 1000TT that you would ask of the 10k hour pilot? It would only have been fair but I dont see how you could have.

I clearly respect your experience here, but was just looking for an answer which I am sure that you have to my question.

Last edited:
TimsKeeper said:
You failed your checkrides, that is what sticks to your resume.

Sorry, but you don't put "failed" checkrides on a resume. So how many checkrides did you fail and put on your resume???

TIS said:
Well, to be fair the pass rate at the SJC FSDO is about 50%, so those were the “odds” that my students faced.

That's a lot better than it used to be. When I took my CFI practical from one of those guys the pass rate was only about 20%. I was grilled for about 6 hours on the ground and 2 hours on the air. I was kind of surprised to have survived it. That was back in the early 90's. I still remember the guy asking me to demonstrate a cross controlled stall or something like that. First and only time for one of those I think.

Lot of guys and gals have failed a checkride or two. As so many others have mentioned what the airline is looking for is that you can take responsibility and move on. Checkrides are a fact of life in this industry. You'll be doing them once or twice a year for the rest of your career. Everyone has a bad day once in a while.

As far as that E6-B thing goes I haven't even seen one of those since I got out of flight instructing. I should probably put my old one on Ebay.

Last edited:
Dave Benjamin said:
That was back in the early 90's. I still remember the guy asking me to demonstrate a cross controlled stall or something like that.

I hear that works really well for entering spins too :D

And to the respondents:

You don't actually expect us pilots to accept responsibility for our actions, do you? Blasphemy!

taloft said:
I hear that works really well for entering spins too :D

Yeah I remember wondering if I'd just end up in a spin. It illustrates the classic overshoot onto final stall-spin scenario. That was a long day.

TIS said:
What's your hurry? The paycheck isn't bigger if you get there faster. On the other hand, your lack of experience can become a liability if you "live the dream" too quickly.
TIS

That is one of the most profound statements I think I've heard on this board.

Latest resources

Back