Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

psunder

Update:

Looks like a couple of friends currently working for the organization at which I was refused employment are going to bat for me... just what I needed, someone to explain the situation WITHOUT making me seem like I am not owning up.

Last edited:
I have not ever heard of anyone caring. What company bounced you because of your pass rate?

Wow. No offense, but do you not see a trend? You need to get yourself a track record of success. Get it out of your head that you failed only because the evaluator was hard. You failed because your skills are not where they should be. You'll never get hired if you pull crap like saying it was because you chose the wrong examiner. That's a cop out. You had better do whatever is necessary to ace any checkride you have the rest of your flying career or you won't have one. Just being honest.

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Wow. No offense, but do you not see a trend? You need to get yourself a track record of success.

I have one, my student pass ratio is superb... a bust is more a refection on the instructor than the student. Outside my PPL I never received ANY ground from my instructor.

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Get it out of your head that you failed only because the evaluator was hard.

Incorrect, you need to know the examiner I went with. I have been referred to as "crazy" and "masochistic" for my choice in examiners. This mans pass rate is about 50%.... now you tell me how many checkride you would have bused had you failed 50% of them?

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
You failed because your skills are not where they should be.

I fly as well and know as much as ANY pilot of similar experience you will find, period.

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
You'll never get hired if you pull crap like saying it was because you chose the wrong examiner.

Interestingly, I did get hired... and I said exactly that, moreover my boss (who deals with this DPE daily) agrees with ME

I chose the examiner I chose because I WANTED the checkrides to be hard. I studied more and knew more than nearly ANY of my contemporaries and I wanted to test myself. I knew full and well what I was getting myself into so I agree these busts are MY FAULT.

psunder said:
My question is, how would one suggest I go about establishing to potential employers that my pass rate is a sign of my seeking excellence and not the easy road?

- busted my MEI (initial) on not knowing how to use manual E6B (knew how to use electronic)

If you are going to say you are not seeking the easy road, I would leave this one out.:0;)

Last edited:
Stifler's Mom said:
If you are going to say you are not seeking the easy road, I would leave out this one.

Ok, i will give you a test (the exact same question I had), tell me how to do "short-time" problems on you E6B?

I didn't know and neither did ANYONE I asked with the exception of the cheif flight instructor (who was the one who signed me off). In addtion, the PTS does NOT require me to know how to use a manual E6B, only that I can teach it using some method (ie. electronic E6B)

Not even sure what a "short-time" problem is. But if it has anything to do with how long it will take me to get to point A, I just look on the FMS. :D

Last edited:
I must not be bright enough to get this. You are doing everything the hard way why?!?!?

It is great to pursue excellence, what you have pursued is self defeating.
Life is hard enough, don't try to do it the hard way. There is no point to it. Is there something you have to prove to yourself?

If you want to know everything there is to aviation, read books and learn from others that know more. Torturing yourself isn't the road to excellence.

Busted ride

My story is I showed for my Comm SEL with a "Sporty's" E6B (Electric). The examiner said "Your batteries just died" I pulled a fresh pack out of my bag, he said "those are expired and dead too". After I pulled a total of 6 packs of 4 AAA batteries, he gave up and let me use my "Sporty's" E6B.

I then f*cked up the holding entry and was give the option to "continue or stop now and re do the only failed portion later" I chose to continue. Obvious I was under super pressure, but I did flawless on the rest. As we parked and I was getting out, I mentioned that since this was a commercial add on to my Comm R/W, holding was not required by PTS. He looked it up and I was right. He made me go back out and re-enter holding to make sure I knew how to do it. I did exactly what I should have done on the first attempt. He was more than fair and was considered one of the hardest in the area.

Stifler's Mom said:
Not even sure what a "short-time" problem is. But if it has anything to do with how long it will take me to get to point A, I just look on the FMS. :D

Answer:

Instead of using "60" for rate, use "36" becasue there are 3600 seconds in an hour, then the "B" scale is in seconds (instead of minutes) and the "C" scale is in minutes (instead of hours)

Latest resources

Back