• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Burden on Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thats why I am asking. I don't want the captain to think of me as incompetent. I understand that I still have a lot to learn, but I feel that if I can land the job and complete training then my captain shouldn't worry. Or maybe I am just being naive.

You are being naive. The real world of 121 flying is much more fluid than the sim. The sim is nothing more than a script. You play your part, you pass. It's always the same thing every 6 months...666 takeoff...stalls...steepies...VOR approach...V1 cut...air start...ILS...go around and the engine catches fire...another approach, single engine...evac. Sprinkle a circling approach in there somewhere.
In the sim, you are the only plane in the sky, the wx is predictable, ATC gives you what you want, no FA to deal with, no "are you ready to board?", no DMI,s no late inbounds, etc etc.
You seem to have the right attitude, but don't think that flying the sim makes an airline pilot. You should do fine because you sound like you want to do things right, and that attitude is 65% of the equation.

Being responsible for all the actions during the flight is the reason why you are called a Captain, your years of experience as an FO should have prepared you for this position that is if you were not just upgraded due to company shortage or for some other selfish reason like aspiring to start earning the the fat bucks without you being ready to accept all the responsibilities that go along with it, such as leadership, what a joke. Your incompetence is your lookout, do not blame the FO, afterall he/she looks up to you for mentorship. If you cannot handle it you do not deserve to be in charge.

Mentorship? They don't pay me enough to teach basic airmanship. Lets just get from point a to b and don't make me work or surprise me with anything stupid. Like calling "positive rate" when the wheels haven't even left the pavement.

Thats why I am asking. I don't want the captain to think of me as incompetent. I understand that I still have a lot to learn, but I feel that if I can land the job and complete training then my captain shouldn't worry. Or maybe I am just being naive.

Shouldnt worry? Yeah well at the regional level they are so desperate for pilots that just because you got an interview, landed the job, and finished training just doesnt mean that much. I do not know you or how well a pilot you are. I am just talking in general terms. The above mentioned post was good. He wasnt complaining about FO's, but rather stating some very true facts. I entered the regionals with an ATP, 2000 hours, and experience with corporate and charter flying; both single pilot. Plus I had 600 hours of dual given. I wasnt a perfect pilot or FO, still not a perfect pilot, but I was far from a liability for the Captains I flew with. I had flown operationally, proven I can handle weather, ATC, passengers, etc . . . Some guy with a couple of hundred hours just does not have the experience that you dont learn in school. Passing a checkride or getting the job is just the first step in a 26 k run. Moving the rig in the regional world is one of the toughest jobs in aviation. Long hours, tough schedules, little support from company. No flight school can prepare you for 6+ legs in weather down to minimums on a 12+ hour duty day. Throw 20 minute turns, maintenance problems, plane swaps, etc . . . All the Captains on here and out there doing it, well they can toss out their concerns, gripes, and complaints. Guess what all you FO's . . . you havent been Captain yet. Captains have been FOs, so until you know the cockpit from both sides. You have half an opinion. If I do something stupid as Captain there is less chance of FAA issue with the FO than there is if it is other way around. Plain and simple; the Captain has it resting on those 4 stripes. Some guys are good, and handle it; some dont. There are crappy Captains and crappy FOs. Hopefully they arent paired together. Also, the chances of a 400 hour FNG getting a bad Captain arent a fraction of the chances of a Captain getting a bad 400 hour FNG. The best thing an FO can do to get ready for the hell of regional flying is check that ego at the crewroom, and hope the Captain does the same.

About a month ago the FAA was reviewing the load manifests of past flights and came across a few that had counted heavy bags(60 lbs) as regular bags (30 lbs). At Comair the FO does the w&b forms and even signs them. They have nothing to do with the CA. Well, because of the mistake someone took off too heavy. did the FAA go after the FO? No, they were actually persuing certificate action against the CA, and nothing for the FO. So this goes to show you right here that you are always flying under the CA's certs.

Dave

The new guys have a great attitude and try hard, but some of the low time pilot just can't keep up yet.

If you can't handle your FO then bid back to FO or call the school house and request more training....

Complaining about your FO shows a lack of confidence on your part...not theirs....

1. Learn how to talk on the radio. Your poor skills are embarrassing.

2. Basic airmanship like crosswind takeoffs and landings, smooth control application, and a normal traffic pattern are not optional.

Do you really think they are going to teach this stuff at the "school house"? My only lack of confidence is in my FO. Having to always worry about what you are or aren't going to do makes my job harder than it needs to be.

I have no problem "mentoring" as I instructed for two years. I thought I was through holding hands though.

And soon enough I will be "bidding back to FO" - AT A MAJOR!

Last edited:
Mentorship? They don't pay me enough to teach basic airmanship. Lets just get from point a to b and don't make me work or surprise me with anything stupid. Like calling "positive rate" when the wheels haven't even left the pavement.

You have two choices, you can stare at the instruments or you can impart your knowledge (which apparently you were born with) on the new FO and contribute to his education. Come to think of it you are also contributing to his education when you stare at the instruments, hopefully he realizes it's how not to act as a Captain.

Latest resources

Back