• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bullet holes in cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just stating that 2 weeks is barely trained. Good job on You Tube Surfing.. Tool

So this is the 1st ND of an FFDO......how many LEO's have ND's every year?

Let's see how ND's would skyrocket if the average street cop was forced to put on and then remove the side arm multiple times a day.

Having been an FFDO myself, I thought the training was excellent.

BTW......ND= Negligent Discharge

I'm surprised that a cop would downplay the amount of training.

Tell us how many days of training you had that were focused on firearms. Also, how many rounds did you fire?

I'm betting that you'll find your training does not far exceed that of an FFDO.

Speaking as someone who recently completed LEO training this past summer, and hopes to finish up the FFDO program sometime soon...

In our skills component of training we had probably 16, 4 hour sessions at the gun range covering shooting of all types, distances, etc. I probably fired close to 5,000 rounds in that training situation and probably and additional 5,000 or better through my own practice and training.

This is just my .02 worth, but the safest place for a loaded weapon is directly on your person. UD's and ND's happen all the time they just are not widely publicized because the national eyes is not on them as it is with aviation and the FFDO program.

Being a licensed LEO, and a pilot I think improvements can, will, and should be made to the FFDO program that allows for a pilot to have their weapon on their person (read in a retention holster on their hip) and in their direct control from the moment they leave to go to work, or at the very least from when they park they vehicle in the parking lot. When I'm at work I carry in what I consider a Level II plus holster. Weapon retention is just that, train on how to protect your weapon. I also have a MN CCW. I am so used to carrying, that I am aware of my surroundings even when I am not carrying. So much to the point that when an Excel Energy security agent decided to frisk me as I entered a sporting event, (he unanouced did this and came from my rear weapon side as I was talking to the ticket taker) when he laid a hand on me I grabbed his hand and spun him into a wrist lock and asked what the he%% he was doing.

What I am trying to point out is that with proper training your response to someone getting near your weapson side is automatic.

As we said in training, when someone goes for your gun, it's a gun day.

Just my .02 worth...

Latest resources

Back