Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
atlcrashpad said:
gkrangers,

If you log PIC you shouldn't log dual (received). The Total Time should be your Pilot in Command, Second in Command and Dual received. Breaking down conditions is a little different.

That's my point. Guys are logging PIC when receiving instruction from a CFI and logging it as Dual. Or simply not logging the instruction received and logging it all as PIC.
I'm calling every FSDO tomorrow.

atlcrashpad said:
(1) and (2) come into play when you are receiving instruction. The CFI is (1) and (2). If you have an accident or incident, the FAA is using 1 and 2 to hold the CFI as the responsible authority. Does this not make sense?

Where do the regs say the CFI has to be the Pilot In Command?

If I'm giving instruction to a guy who just bought a Cherokee who is a private pilot with instrument rating and his insurance requires him to have 10 hours with a CFI before going solo...do I have to be PIC?

Nope...I can log PIC...but I do not have to be the PIC.

-mini

PS
gk...if you're serious (and I hope you are - I'd do it but I have to work) could you write down the responses and put them in this or a new thread tomorrow? That should make for some interesting conversation...

Logging time

Let me know what they say. I've posted the answers I got when I called my FSDO (3 guys/2 different answers). I've said in several post that if I'm wrong, I'll admit to it. But resumes that look fishy will still get tossed. So be careful and do a Great Resume.

atlcrashpad said:
So be careful and do a Great Resume.

I'll second that. I do most of the hiring for us at work and if I ask for a resume or application to be done a certain way, that's the way I want it.

I think that's the big thing...when you go to Airline A...perhaps they will count all of your time. Airline B may say "no glider time allowed" or something like that.

Whatever you do, make sure you show them their way...or you will not get a call.

-mini

Logging time

Whatever you do, make sure you show them their way...or you will not get a call.

-mini[/quote]

That was my main point.

Logging time

gkrangers,

Hopefully you will not get several different answers like I did. Maybe we can finally quit beating this horse to Death. Are you calling your local FSDO or OKC. OKC may be the best bet.

Regardless of the answer(s), do a Great Resume and you will get an interview.

atlcrashpad said:
gkrangers,

Hopefully you will not get several different answers like I did. Maybe we can finally quit beating this horse to Death. Are you calling your local FSDO or OKC. OKC may be the best bet.

Regardless of the answer(s), do a Great Resume and you will get an interview.
Well my Great Resume will be an accurate depiction of my times.

I guess I could call OKC, I was planning on some local ones...Teterboro and Orlando for starters...Those are my "local" ones depending on where I am at a given time.

In order to properly discuss this topic, it's necessary for everyone to be on the same page, and be clear on whether we're talking about meeting legal requirements, (minitour) or applying for jobs (atlcrashpad). Your logbooks can be 100% in compliance with 61.51, but airlines can make up their own definitions at a whim, and well, like someone said earlier, they're doing the hiring. Not the FAA. You either play ball or go home.

The other day, I flew an 8 hour dual received cross country, in which I was the sole manipulator of the controls, was rated in category and class, and was properly endorsed. Am I gonna log that as PIC as well as dual received? Hell yeah! This is 8 hours closer to my 50 hours PIC cross country required for the Instrument rating, and 100 hours PIC for the Commercial. That flight met all the requirements of 61.51, and there's no good reason for me to throw roughly 800 bucks out the window. (I haven't added things up lately, but I'm pretty sure this topped off my aforementioned 50 hours.)

But if I'm applying for an airline years down the road, you bet my PIC will equal total minus dual received minus SIC (if any)... or however they happen to want it.

VNugget said:
But if I'm applying for an airline years down the road, you bet my PIC will equal total minus dual received minus SIC (if any)... or however they happen to want it.
If thats how they want it, its exactly how I'll present it. But for my current logging purposes, I'm meeting Part 61 requirements...and I'll log it as such.

Latest resources

Back