Bull Sh*t Resumes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Logging time

Added note to above post. I suggest calling the FAA in OKC. I called my local FSDO and asked three different inspectors and got two that agreed and one who didn't. So we are where we are. No real answer.

atlcrashpad said:
61.51 sole manipulator of the controls doesn't apply under 121. That was my point on my last post. As I stated in thread #60, call the FAA see what they say.
Okay, well maybe we're saying the same thing just thinking of it differently?

Here's my thing...Part 61 doesn't say I have to act as PIC to log PIC...and of course you have to have the ATP/Type/training/etc to be PIC under part 121, we know that...but I'd still like to know where under Part 61 it says you have to act as PIC to log PIC...which is what you said
atlcrashpad said:
If you don't ACT as PIC you cannot LOG PIC.
from above...

Notice "have to" act as PIC to log...

-mini

*edit*
as an added note...I do agree that if the operation is conducted under Part 121, then only the Captain may log the PIC flight time. The FO logs SIC, etc...

BUT...If the operation is done under part 91, there's no reg that says you have to act as PIC to log PIC.

Last edited:
Logging time

Minitour,

Act and Log? I really don't know why there would be a difference, but it is a valid question. It may be a legal term that the FAA can use to pin the blame on. My whole intent was not to delete anybodies flight time. I've been there, trying to beg, borrow and steal time. I want to warn guys that their times may look fishy and if may cost them an interview. If I'm wrong, I will post it. I'm not infailable. I was just surprised by a few resumes posted on a particular web site that appeared too good to be true. (a few that had thousands of hours PIC and very, very little non PIC and others that claimed Chief Pilot on every job on their resume).

Last edited:
Act and log are two different things.

That's why I was so confused at why PIC, SIC and Dual have to = TT...mine certainly doesn't and I know a some successful people that are the same way.

-mini

Logging time

Minitour,

We will have to agree to disagree on the "Act and Log" issue. As for your times, PIC + SIC + Dual (received) should = Total time

If that is not the case, then flags will go up when an HR rep goes over your resume. Just to let all of you guys know, airlines get thousands of resumes a week and go over them really quickly. If it looks funny, they don't call you and ask you to explain. They toss your resume on a "do not call" pile. You loose you shot. I'm just adding some advice to help you get your shot. If you choose to ignore then that is fine. My feelings are not hurt.

I've got to admit, right or wrong, a lot of you guys should have gone to law school. Your arguements are great and point well taken.

Good luck to all.

atlcrashpad said:
Minitour,

We will have to agree to disagree on the "Act and Log" issue.
No need to agree to disagree. If you can show me in 61.51 where it says I have to act as PIC to log it, I'll gladly admit I was/am wrong. But it is in black and white.

As for your times, PIC + SIC + Dual (received) should = Total time
This one we'll just agree to disagree.

Better idea...lets go have a beer.
:beer:

Titanic is on... "I'll never let go Jack" *SPLASH* LMFAO!

-mini

Alright...61.51...

I'm recieving instruction, I'm rated in class and category.

I'm acting PIC (sole manipulator), so I'm logging.

Instructer is allowed to LOG all instruction as PIC, so they log it.

So PIC + SIC + Dual doesn't necessarily have to equal TT.

EVERYONE I know logs this way. Every CFI and every student that I know. And people are gettin hired...

I don't see the problem with it.

Logging time

Minitour,

I agree on the beer issue. As for act/log? well I really cannot see a difference. If you log it, shouldn't you be actting as PIC? I don't see how two pilots in one airplane can log PIC at the same time.

gkrangers,

If you log PIC you shouldn't log dual (received). The Total Time should be your Pilot in Command, Second in Command and Dual received. Breaking down conditions is a little different.

That's my point. Guys are logging PIC when receiving instruction from a CFI and logging it as Dual. Or simply not logging the instruction received and logging it all as PIC.

gkrangers said:
Alright...61.51...

I'm recieving instruction, I'm rated in class and category.

I'm acting PIC (sole manipulator), so I'm logging.

Even if you aren't acting PIC...getting your complex endorsement or high performance endorsement perhaps?

You're still category and class rated...still sole manipulator. Go ahead and log it. But your instructor has to act as PIC of that plane (61.31 applies there).

-mini

Logging time

I totally understand what 61.51 say as sole manipulator of the controls when it comes to logging PIC. However, FAR 1.1 Pilot in command means the person who:
(1) Has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight;
(2) Has been designated as pilot in command before or during the flight; and
(3) Holds the appropriate category, class, and type rating, if appropriate, for the conduct of the flight

(1) and (2) come into play when you are receiving instruction. The CFI is (1) and (2). If you have an accident or incident, the FAA is using 1 and 2 to hold the CFI as the responsible authority. Does this not make sense?

Latest resources

Back