• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Breaking News on Continental

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any idea how many pilots to get furloughed? We have some deliveries occurring during this same time frame, unless I missed where we suspended our orders.

Its mainline fleet of about 375 planes would shrink to about 344 by the end of next year, an overall cut of about 8 percent.

Based on this, I'm guessing 8 percent of the pilots. Since I'm not sure what the total number of pilots currently are, I don't know what number this equates to.

Hey, look at the bright side - at least the old geezers won't get furloughed.

They can nap at work and keep adding to their 401(k) while the junior guys take it up the rump.

Based on this, I'm guessing 8 percent of the pilots. Since I'm not sure what the total number of pilots currently are, I don't know what number this equates to.
31 narrow-body planes = about 350 pilots.

According to Airline Pilot Central, there's 5,079 active pilots. Eight percent of that is 406 by my calculation. Man I hope it's less.

That would work out to about 400 pilots, my guess was around 3-500 pilots. I don't wish to play games with numbers like that, I was furloughed by AA 5 years ago and it is a devastating feeling. Very best wishes to my colleagues who are affected. Let's hope it isn't for very long...

Last edited:
According to Airline Pilot Central, there's 5,079 active pilots. Eight percent of that is 406 by my calculation. Man I hope it's less.

It would be a phased approach. So, not all 400 at once. Difficult time in the industry for us all...

Hey, look at the bright side - at least the old geezers won't get furloughed.

They can nap at work and keep adding to their 401(k) while the junior guys take it up the rump.

This is when the utter nihilism that age 65 represented ushers to the fore. What a pathetic, cruel, short sighted lot we are.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back