• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Breaking News on Continental

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Difficult time in the industry for us all...

On the contrary, some of "us" hit the lottery in this industry just a few short months ago with the ability to add to the pot for another 5 years.

Great move John Prater. And to think, a majority voted AGAINST Age 65.

Why would the article say $50,000 per employee? That's the problem with this industry. They should break it down by customer, then raise each ticket by that amount.

Anybody got the numma to dat truck drivin' skool?
dis shizzle sux.............. bouyyyyyyyyyy....

I think CAL feels they have two big liabilities they regret not dealing with in a BK: The A plan and the scope clause. The frozen A plan can't be touched (except in a BK) and the scope clause has to be bargained. The CAL pilot group has to stick together to protect both these. However, with furloughs in light of age 65, I think we can see where the imminent retirees might stand on scope!

I don't know how we proceed? They are parking all the planes they would want replaced by RJs. The senior guy battlecry "it's going to happen anyway!" might be heard again as they try to sell out our scope clause?

If they are smart they will offer buyouts to senior guys

They will. It's just: how much will they offer?

We will have a fair number of senior guys/gals simply bail anyway. (There are some senior types who've had enough and have enough) There will be an equal number of ever needy types who are completely unreliable in times like these.

Call your reps. Tell them to sweeten the early out package.

The only problem is that 'buy-outs' cost money, and right now, to weather this downturn, "Cash is King."

Furloughs cost money, with severence pay, re-training, etc, but probably less than a buy-out. However, reducing the # at 'top of scale' pay will also reduce costs. I guess what I saying is that it is all 'bean counter' stuff and would have to be figured out by the numbers people.

That said, the whole 'age 65' thing sure came at the right time, Thanks Jack A$$ Prater. Don't work at CO, but maybe some of his former co-workers might have some things to say to him.

And, alpa sux anyway, thought a union was supposed to 'work for us' seems like they are working Against us, at least the 'majority' of the membership.

For what its worth. Good Luck to very one at CO, and all of us in the industry.

PD

Don't focus on the 8% number.

Based on this, I'm guessing 8 percent of the pilots. Since I'm not sure what the total number of pilots currently are, I don't know what number this equates to.

CAL doesn't staff based on airframes. Its based on block hours. So the 8% may be a good w.a.g. but its the utilization of the remaining airframes that will drive the staffing.

Hopefully the utilization of the more fuel efficient NG's that will be replacing the OG's will be higher, thus helping to minimized any _urloughs.

Also, we have 367 aircraft on property as of June 1. That will increase to 375 by July 1 and then down to 356 in September. So we will be down 11 aircraft from today's #'s by Oct of this year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back