• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Breaking News: FAA to require pilots know how to fly

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The one you can't recall was Pinnacle's "410 it" pilots.

But I will say that the Lexington crash happened by a CA who had around 4800TT and the FO around 6300TT. Bringing up Gulfstream academy for just the FO, which probably 6,000 hours BEFORE the accident, is a moot point. No one can conclude that this Comair crash wouldn't have happened if this FO trained elsewhere from Gulfstream.

The only 3 fatal Part 121 accidents over a substantial period of time in America alll involved pilots from a very small, disreputable airline and you are going to play it that way? You must be one of those who believes that "past performance is not indicative of future results" silly heads.

Reverse it. How many Gulfstream graduates went on to pilot the space shuttle? Imma bet none.

You don't pay to do a job that you have earned the progression to attain because others are willing to pay you for your talent/abilities.

Not knocking prostitutes, because the world needs them, but I think the vast majority of their customer base is NOT made up of johns who have so much going for them that they can pull tail at will without an overt monetary exchange. I consider PFT pilots the same type of whore mongers. They both have in common that they don't brag about it! Look at the shame/denial PFT_128 exhibits.

Other than pilots who have such an abundance of $$$ that it is inconsequential to drop $100,000 beyond a 4 year degree and all flight ratings on some Part 121 babysitting at Gulfstream, I think these pilots do this out of a lack of better options or a lack of old fashioned work ethic.

I know I learned much at each career level, and I have much more to learn. I welcome the increase in TT for Part 121 operations for many reasons. I hope .gov gets it right for a change. I am not optimistic, but that is my nature. I'm a butthead, you see.

I really could care less if anyone on here thinks the Colgan accident was a result of the pilots not getting enough rest or not being experienced enough or whatever.

The point is that there are some practices in this industry RIGHT NOW that are inherently unsafe. No airline should be hiring low time, inexperienced pilots to fly the public around in order to save a buck. The rest regulations as they exist now are a joke and need to be fixed. If the Colgan accident, whether it was a result of the above or not, FINALLY brings these issues to light then sobeit. It is unfortunate that it takes tombstones in order for the FAA and the federal government to actually get off it's ass and do something.

Would you welcome a higher academic standard Tweak?
Well said though

Unfortunately new regs are always written with blood from accidents. Everything Is fine and dandy and nobody cares until crap like this happens, sad truth.

Last edited:
Both Colgan pilots had far in excess of required rest...How would rest rules have changed the outcome of the Colgan crash?

with regards to Colgan, none... That was due largely to pilots that can't fly. Witness the young girl FO who pulled the flaps during a stall recovery... Or the 5 time failed captain who initially applied the wrong recovery; but those rest rules that are long over due are much more significant with regards to long haul operations flying 10+ hour international, night operations and min rest requirements.. 8 hours on the ground now, vs 9 hours at the hotel.. etc..

Or putting the flaps up in a stall/spin.

BINGO! I wonder why that's always swept under the rug? female factor maybe?

Indeed.

I can't help but think the FO did that because she believed they were in a tail stall.

But they'd never have been in a position where that exacerbated things if 1. one or both of them had been minding the store with regards to airspeed control, or 2. the captain didn't pull a shaking yoke into his chest.

except any pilot worth his (or her) weight, knows that stick shaker DOESN'T activate for a tall stall..

I don't know that its fair to place any more or less blame on the FO than the Captain - they both effed up pretty bad. I wouldn't say her actions are "swept under the rug", I'd say they are less jaw-dropping than pulling a shaking yoke!

Fact remains, you don't pull a shaker. If you do, and try to power out of the low-speed, high AOA shiatstorm you put yourself into, you don't retract the flaps.

Most importantly of all, they'd have avoided the situation all together if at least one of them had been minding the store and paying attention to their FRIGGING airspeed.

They both failed Airmanship 101 when it really mattered most...and it cost them, their FAs, and their passengers their lives.

How did the Colgan Captain do on his basic piloting tests when the F/O decided to raise the flaps (uncommanded by the pilot flying)? I mean they do test for crewmembers to do just the wrong thing at just the wrong time don't they?

actually sometimes we do train for that. having the PM retract all flaps and leading edge devices uncommanded by the PF during a minor flap change on climbout

Latest resources

Back