breaking into the corparate market?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
By the way Caveman,

When you get furloughed and are interviewing for a corporate job I think you should mention how much harder it is to fly an airliner.

Alright. You guys win. I'm outta here. Didn't mean to offend. Not trying to stroke my ego or insult yours. I made one poorly worded example, apologized for it and a couple of you still won't let it go. You go ahead and stay focused on that one item and ignore the bigger conversation we were trying to have.

Thanks Gear Guy, I should have just let it go myself. Blue skies......

I love these who has the biggest D#ck contests!

It's all in the work ethic and professionalism.:beer:

Just to change the tone of this thread slightly I'll make two points:

1. Every corporate job is different. It's hard to compare any corporate job to any other flying job, even other corporate jobs. A good corporate job is fantastic. A bad one is hell. There are very few good ones out there.

2. The toughest flying I've experienced is getting back in to my home base in winter with a non precision, circling approach at night with a 25-35kt crosswind onto a short, contaminated runway. Not something an airline guy is going to be doing very often if at all. In that regard, I think corporate flying is more demanding of flying skills.

In regards to stress, I don't think I would feel any more or less stressed with 150 strangers in the back as opposed to the CEO. When I'm up front flying, That's what I focus on. I actually enjoy knowing the pax on a first name basis, and I wouldn't like having to deal with the ignorant masses I see getting on the airlines.

And yes, right now I have one of the great corporate jobs.

Just to change the tone of this thread slightly I'll make two points:

1. Every corporate job is different. It's hard to compare any corporate job to any other flying job, even other corporate jobs.

That is one of the hardest points to make to an outsider especially an airline guy/gal I dunno why but it is...

And flying the same core group of passengers is just as beneficial as flying with the same co pilot or co captain day in and day out. Then begin to learn you and you know what they want and expect.

My core passengers know me and know that I am going to do everything I can to make the flight safe and timely. They know that I don't cut corners and when I miss an approach or make the call to divert to an alternate enroute its for everyones safety and they do not question me. Because they know me, have flown with me for years and know that I will do my best to get them into their original destination airport.

Same goes for same crews, I know the person I work with and vice versa. We each have a style to our legs and know what the other person wants or needs pretty much without prompt.

Last edited:
Any 121 driver can pass a checkride at Flight Safety but I dont think the same thing can be said about alot of corporate guys transitioning to 121. If we are talking about who has the most challenging job..............try flying a metro, single pilot in the northeast, winter, no autopilot..........nuf said.................

Any 121 driver can pass a checkride at Flight Safety but I dont think the same thing can be said about alot of corporate guys transitioning to 121. If we are talking about who has the most challenging job..............try flying a metro, single pilot in the northeast, winter, no autopilot..........nuf said.................

And I'm sure with an amazing resume like that, any corporate operator would be thrilled to have you come in a teach them how completely superior all 121 pilots are... Or maybe you would just be another 121 tool that any corporate operator would instantly regret hiring because he could not STFU about how great he is and how great it was flying the big metro in the snow...

It's funny. We're all just making the same point again and again. Corporate and airline operations require different skill sets (as said by Caveman). The question about why corporate operators do not always like to hire from the 121 world has nothing to do with skill, it has to do with attitude. 121 conditions people to have bad attitudes (bad management, bad contract, bad schedule etc). People with strength of character can come through that and not be d@cks but most people come through that as absolute tools so... Why take the chance. 121 pilots (like all pilots) are their own worst enemys...

I think the point about a 121 pilot passing a part 91 checkride at FSI, vs. a part 91 pilot passing a 121 checkride, is a valid one.

At FSI, you're a paying client - the company has a vested interest in getting you through the course. If you can't meet standards you can't meet standards, but there's sometimes the TCEs have a little latitude and a real-world checking perspective that allows people to pass who probably wouldn't with a ASI observing.

On the other hand, 121 training is anal-retentive. They expect your callouts & verbage to be 100% from the FOM/GOM/etc. and jump your sh!t if they aren't. There is very little lattitude afforded to probationary pilots doing their initial checkride.

Most any 91 pilot should be able to pass a 121 check with flying colors...but we all know some who wouldn't be able to.

Is that your badge of honor?

Because mine is more like working 6 days a month and making about 8X what a single pilot metro pilot would make.....and hell, staying landing current? now THERE'S a real challenge.

nuf said.

(just dragging this out...)

:)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back