• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Breaking in a new SIC...help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Many insurance policies will waive the 12-month simulator requirement for a new pilot...at least temporarily.

61.55 tells you all you need to know; if you're going out of the country (and even if not) it'd be worthwhile to spend the 5 minutes to do the paperwork for an SIC type rating. Personally, I'd want him very familiar with bold face/memory items & at least have gone through the QRH a time or two with him prior to flying passengers.

I'd recommend doing your 3 TOLs full stop/taxi back, at a light weight, after reviewing brake energy tables to make sure you'll be okay in that regard.

If the guy is a professional pilot just not trained on your specific aircraft, treat him as such and not some green know-nothing FNG...after all, once you reach a certain point in your career, one airplane flies pretty much like the other.

Good points!

The SIC quals are in the regs and pretty straightforward. As for actually working together, you could deflate the attitude a bit and think to way back when YOU were the new guy who needed "breaking in". Do what your Captain did. It seems to have turned you into a guy so amazing that sitting in the other seat is beneath you.

No, not at all. All I was saying is that we all fly as Captains. We swap seats. Therefore, there is really no flying from the right seat. That is what I mean when I say that I am not comfortable putting this guy in the left yet. He has more time and types than me, but from years back and he isn't typed in THIS PLANE yet. That's all. I read the reg...just asking how you guys would proceed.

Geez guys.....

How do you break him in? Do you possess a rather large stick?

For those of you making smart comments about his right seat comment. Consider this. It may have nothing to do with "getting over himself" as you say.

I have always been very generous about letting new guys fly. With a qualified guy, I swap seats. BUT! If the aircraft has a tiller... No Way! If the unqualified occupant who would be in the left seat would block my access to major system switches / controls / breaker panels... NO WAY!

If this person has never dealt with a rookie and is unsure of the situation, he is making the proper call to limit him or her. I have experienced situations where a unqualified SIC was more of a liability than an asset. In fact, I have flown with people with a current .135 check who were a liability. Don't judge without the facts. He asked for advice, not a beat down.

My advice, In addition to regs, make sure you spend plenty of time on the ground in the cockpit. Make sure he or she is familiar with the switches you want them to handle and which ones you make clear that you will handle. Good briefings and a clear understanding of this persons duties will minimize difficulties. Don't ever assume that a new guys knows what is standard or correct. Never assume that anyone has the same version of "standard" that you do.

400a makes good points IMO...

I could care less how long a guy sits in the right seat, and why would he care? does the pay change?

If you are running a plane for someone you have more on the line than someones fragile ego about sitting in the left seat. Of course, show you are capable over a period of time - no problem. I certainly dont care what you did at previous jobs etc..

Also - what is "qualified?"....does that mean a PIC check and type from FSI? - because that means all of ZERO to me. All that says is someone paid for you to go to some (marginal?) training at a sim center. Most of us have met plenty of self-proclaimed typed "Captains" who we would hardly let shut the door.

Anyone with some decent skills and confidence would gladly fly right seat for awhile to show what they can do, and the same goes for a confident PIC - he should be willing to move over and let the other guy fly at a point also, otherwise his skills are in question IMO..

Last edited:
No, not at all. All I was saying is that we all fly as Captains. We swap seats. Therefore, there is really no flying from the right seat. That is what I mean when I say that I am not comfortable putting this guy in the left yet. He has more time and types than me, but from years back and he isn't typed in THIS PLANE yet.

You still got pedals and a yoke in front of you in the right seat?
How could there possibly any sort of comfort issue from either seat?
Ego issue, yes. Comfort?????

This thread seems to not be about him. It's about you.
New guy on your turf....... He's got more time, more types and you hesitate to let him touch THE wheel, even though both wheels do the same thing.

You were there first and it's YOUR plane. Even if you are in the right seat. There is nothing wrong with letting him drive YOUR plane, even if he's more 'qualified' than you.

Any 'breaking in' that he requires will most likely have everything to do with what the owners expect in terms of rental cars, catering, washing the plane, etc. He will likely need nothing more from you than to set the mold for your company's expectations for standardization, work ethic, alcohol enjoyment, Captain's Confidence/Authority, etc...........

He's got to be just as perfect as me or he doesn't get to touch anything!!!!

Latest resources

Back