• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crew brief:
Shutup
Do not touch anything
Get my bag

After about 2 years maybe let him do a VFR approach at an uncontrolled airport.

Break um in the right way!

We're just trying to wrap our minds around why some people thinks it's a safety issue to fly from the right seat. The plane flies the same way from the left or right seat. All that changes is the sight picture. If you're worried about the tiller then stop on a straightaway and swap seats. I fly from the right seat or left seat regularly. It doesn't matter which seat the PIC sits in he's still the PIC. If your company allows it I'd let him learn a bit in the right seat but also give him some time in the left so he's a little more ready when he goes to type school.

If your company allows it I'd let him learn a bit in the right seat but also give him some time in the left so he's a little more ready when he goes to type school.

This is EXACTLY what I do. You guys invented all of this never let him fly, get my bags crap.

I was more referring to the OP as far as the left/right seat thing. Just looking for a little clarification that's all.

The guy is an experienced jet pilot, just not in your jet or familiar with your procedures. Here's the approach I like:

1) Spend some time sitting in the airplane talking about the switches, flows, checklist items. Cover who does what for each phase of flight. Run a few checklists. Make sure he's familiar with the FMS and your avionics, especially radios and FMS/FMC if they are unfamiliar types to him. You don't need any avoidable distractions when you guys first start flying together.

2) There is only one PIC at this point, and you're both new to the airplane, and flying together. He's not typed. Start off slow and easy. Do his 61.55 checkout with him in the right seat. Once you guys get comfortable flying together, then start easing him into the left seat. What's the rush? He's going to get typed in the thing soon, right? After that, it's seat-swapping co-captains, but let him get used to the tiller on an empty leg or two, especially if it is tricky or balky.

3) Don't forget that he needs to be familiar with abnormal and emergency procedures, per 61.55. Pull out the QRH and cover how you guys will handle an abnormal or emergency. Who will fly, who will run the checklist, who will talk to ATC. How will the QRH checklist be run? Challenge and response, or NFP runs it as a "do" list with confirmation by PF on major things?

The more you both know what to expect, the easier and more fun it will be, and that's what it's about, right?

Oh, yeah . . .debrief over beer :beer:

Last edited:
The guy is an experienced jet pilot, just not in your jet or familiar with your procedures. Here's the approach I like:

1) Spend some time sitting in the airplane talking about the switches, flows, checklist items. Cover who does what for each phase of flight. Run a few checklists. Make sure he's familiar with the FMS and your avionics, especially radios and FMS/FMC if they are unfamiliar types to him. You don't need any distractions when you guys are new to the plane.

2) There is only one PIC at this point, and you're both new to the airplane, and flying together. He's not typed. Start off slow and easy. Do his 61.55 checkout with him in the right seat. Once you guys get comfortable flying together, then start easing him into the left seat. What's the rush? He's going to get typed in the thing soon, right? After that, it's seat-swapping co-captains, but let him get used to the tiller on an empty leg or two, especially if it is tricky or balky.

3) Have fun, dammit!

Bingo! We have a winner!

1) Spend some time sitting in the airplane talking about the switches, flows, checklist items. Cover who does what for each phase of flight. Run a few checklists. Make sure he's familiar with the FMS and your avionics, especially radios and FMS/FMC if they are unfamiliar types to him. You don't need any avoidable distractions when you guys first start flying together.

3) Don't forget that he needs to be familiar with abnormal and emergency procedures, per 61.55. Pull out the QRH and cover how you guys will handle an abnormal or emergency. Who will fly, who will run the checklist, who will talk to ATC. How will the QRH checklist be run? Challenge and response, or NFP runs it as a "do" list with confirmation by PF on major things?

The more you both know what to expect, the easier and more fun it will be, and that's what it's about, right?

Man, that's way too much work!!! What ever happened to "Kick the tires, light the fires." "If you can't keep up then shut up!":p

Perfect. Thanks to you and 400A.

Latest resources

Back