Breaking in a new SIC...help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dhc8fo

Hey guys. I have never had a "new" SIC before. It has always been a co-captain situation. I am going off in a new plane with a guy who isn't typed yet and was wondering how you handle getting him SIC qual'd. He is a former jet guy and will be going to school for his type shortly, but in the mean time....three takeoffs and landings? That's it basically? And from the right seat? (I sure as hell ain't gonna fly from the right). Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

(I sure as hell ain't gonna fly from the right)

I undertand what you are looking for... I would go and read the requirements of 61.58.

Also... I would change the attitude of what seat you sit in... As PIC you should be comfortable in either seat. Just Sayin....

LB

I'm a bit curious as to what your insurance carrier has to say about this. This day and age, I have a hard time believing that any insurance carrier would be content with just three takeoffs and landings, to a full stop remember, for currency.

As for my personal recommendations; if the pilot is low time and has not much experience in jet aircraft, see the following.

1. Send him to school as soon as possible. If necessary use a free lance pilot to fill in until your pilot gets back.

2. At first, let him fly all the deadhead legs. If you don't have that many deadheads, have him start flying from the right seat only in good weather until he has enough experience to start swapping seats. As for flying from the right seat, thousands and thousands of airline pilots spent years in the right seat before moving to the left seat, it's no big deal.

3. Never push the new guy into situation that they will be uncomfortable in. Conversely, do not get into a position where their hummingbird arse becomes overloaded in an elephant's butts situation. In other words, watch their ego.

Now, if the new guy is a very experienced pilot in similar type equiptment, just request a waiver from your insurance carrier and go forth until you have time to sent them to school. Also, after the actual flight training, start swapping seats if you are comfortable as soon as you can.

Good luck.

Thats what happened to Paine Stewart, new Capt, and new FO.

Many insurance policies will waive the 12-month simulator requirement for a new pilot...at least temporarily.

61.55 tells you all you need to know; if you're going out of the country (and even if not) it'd be worthwhile to spend the 5 minutes to do the paperwork for an SIC type rating. Personally, I'd want him very familiar with bold face/memory items & at least have gone through the QRH a time or two with him prior to flying passengers.

I'd recommend doing your 3 TOLs full stop/taxi back, at a light weight, after reviewing brake energy tables to make sure you'll be okay in that regard.

If the guy is a professional pilot just not trained on your specific aircraft, treat him as such and not some green know-nothing FNG...after all, once you reach a certain point in your career, one airplane flies pretty much like the other.

If the guy is a professional pilot just not trained on your specific aircraft, treat him as such and not some green know-nothing FNG...after all, once you reach a certain point in your career, one airplane flies pretty much like the other.

Agree 100%. I have seen so many times where guys who act like Captain America treat an SIC like they have never been in a plane. Every aircraft I have flown works the same. Push down "Big Houses", Pull Up "Little Houses".

I wouldn't let him fly their first leg with pax but see how they do with empty legs and if you have good wx and long runways let them fly with pax. If something happens to you I'm sure you would want them to be able to safely land the plane.

BUT.... I agree with the other replies. Send them to school. It should be a no brainer

I always found what you allow from a new f/o depends mostly on you, the Captain. How big or little is your comfort zone? Me, as long as when I hit the DH/MDA with a runway in front of me, and the guy/girl is not getting me violated I am cool. Sit down and go over the systems to give him/her some understanding. Do the 3-required t/o and leg. Make it fun and safe. Then sit and debrief. All should go well. A bonus if you can debrief over a couple cold ones.

The SIC quals are in the regs and pretty straightforward. As for actually working together, you could deflate the attitude a bit and think to way back when YOU were the new guy who needed "breaking in". Do what your Captain did. It seems to have turned you into a guy so amazing that sitting in the other seat is beneath you.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back