• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Brazil Mid-Air Survivor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crash-Proof I feel sorry for you I am 1/2 american /Brasilian myself live since born yeah I never had a green card or had to marry a american woman to get green card.
I am an american citizen by born and I've been living here for about 6 years now and Brasil it's better than US in several aspects as is US better in several others and ther's no perfect place honestly if I had no kids I would rather be living there is better for a singles too. Here is a family thing and no fun just work and all about money. There is no interest free friendship here and always someone trying to scam you.
UBA 757
What about the rape rate in US?
and crime rate in louisiana do you live there?
Rape in Brasil if the guy goes to jail will be dead not even the thieves like rapers but they love to do it here.
Yeah violence in rio and sao paulo is not bigger than new york or chicago. Wanna compare compare it right cannot compare your little town with sao paulo 21 million people and growing or rio 17 million. Does US has any city that big?

Poverty in US is about the same. Maybe in your rich states you don't see but I think Louisina and Mississippi still part of USA or they had changed the map lattely.

Because of this attitude of "I am american and I am above anything" I am perfect my country is the best and all this bla bla bla that people outside hate us.
What is it was the opposite like a Brasilian who made a mistake here you guys would say what to investigate and let him go? the 9/11 guy who was not even on the airplane just because was form the network the maximum penalty so don't come with stories.
The pilots screwd up and gotta pay.

155 lives for a mistake that's to much. And honestly I would think same way if it was a spanish pilot or chinese or whatever that's not the case the case is someone gotta pay for their mistakes.
But the culture here is also "it was not my fault" and nobody assumes responsibility in US.

bombinha is now on my ignore list... moving back to the point of this thread, which is apparantly pointless speculation. (at least I'm honest). I am left with a question of procedure.

Several recent articles have suggested that Brazilian ATC lost radio contact and transponder return on the Legacy, perhaps due to equipment failure (RTU?). This seems a likely scenario.

Assuming this is the case, and the legacy WAS filed to switch to FL360 at Brasilia, but NOT actually instructed to do so (due to lost comms)... what was the proper course of action?

I was always taught to fly the higher of 1) Minimum charted 2) Expected Further Clearance 3) Assigned.

Again, assuming the scenario above, shouldn't Brazilian ATC have realized a lost comm situation and known that the aircraft would fly it's last assigned altititude? In this case they should have instructed the Gol plane to fly a different altitude. Instead they *apparently* just assumed that the Legacy would change to FL360, despite the fact that doing so would be contrary to proper procedure...

Again just speculation.

bombinha is now on my ignore list... moving back to the point of this thread, which is apparantly pointless speculation. (at least I'm honest). I am left with a question of procedure.

Several recent articles have suggested that Brazilian ATC lost radio contact and transponder return on the Legacy, perhaps due to equipment failure (RTU?). This seems a likely scenario.

Assuming this is the case, and the legacy WAS filed to switch to FL360 at Brasilia, but NOT actually instructed to do so (due to lost comms)... what was the proper course of action?

I was always taught to fly the higher of 1) Minimum charted 2) Expected Further Clearance 3) Assigned.

Again, assuming the scenario above, shouldn't Brazilian ATC have realized a lost comm situation and known that the aircraft would fly it's last assigned altititude? In this case they should have instructed the Gol plane to fly a different altitude. Instead they *apparently* just assumed that the Legacy would change to FL360, despite the fact that doing so would be contrary to proper procedure...

Again just speculation.

Flying international is a bit different than flying in the states. Most countries follow the ICAO rules, sometimes with an added twist. That is why you need to know the rules of the country that you are flying in.

I don't have the ICAO rules handy, but if I remember correctly, after you fly past the first compulsory reporting point after radio failure. If you are IFR, you fly for 20 minutes and then fly your flight plan. And if your flight plan calls for an altitude change, then you change your altitude when you get to the point in your flight plan where the altitude change is called for. Not sure if I got it 100% correct, but it's along those lines. I don't have a Brazilian AIP here at home, but I'm pretty sure they follow the ICAO rules.

If the Legacy indeed had radio failure, they would have been expected to follow the Brazilian AIP. That's assuming that the Legacy had radio failure.

More likely, there was one or more missed radio calls. Contrary to what our Brazilian friend bombinha would like us to believe, Manaus control is not the greatest in the world. I've flown through this area, and you can fly for a long time without talking to anyone or hearing anyone on the radio. So you could fly a long ways before you realized that you had radio failure. And when Manaus calls you, you can't understand a dang thing they just said.

Like I said we don't need or want people that don't want to be part of our system and you obviously don't want to be part of our system. UBA757
Our "system"? Please define.

Latest resources

Back