• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Brakes work...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ummm...the training/service bulletin (written by EMBRAER) in the SOP did.

You don't have to send the pax flying forward because the sop says so. The key to that is continuous breaking not hard breaking. Other manufacturers do not recommend continuous breaking.

The Q400 also has carbon brakes. We are told the same thing "light applications ruin the brakes, firm application is needed". I thought I was applying firm brakes then had a checkairman tell me to put about twice the pressure on. Way too much in my opinion, but I do press firmer than I use to.

You don't have to send the pax flying forward because the sop says so. The key to that is continuous breaking not hard breaking. Other manufacturers do not recommend continuous breaking.

I swear to god, I feel more stupid every time I visit this site...

I could care less about "wear and tear" and ATC constraints. I will do what is best for passenger comfort.....that is part of professionalism.

If airlines were concerned about brake wear from light applications of the brakes, they should install brakes that resist deterioration from light applications of brakes.

I would chalk this up to a "not my problem" issue. I avoid using the brakes anyway because Beta is cool and usually effective, but I won't over-use the brakes just to save the company a little bit of money.

If airlines were concerned about brake wear from light applications of the brakes, they should install brakes that resist deterioration from light applications of brakes.

Do you mean the manufacturers?

Part of being a "professional" is adhering to guidelines, SOPs, and recommendations supplied by both your company and the aircraft manufacturer.

Who's the real retard, the retard? Or the guy that argues with him?

Do you guys think that the military guys or the civilian guys know how to brake better?

Clearly the military guys can brake better because they are evaluated on it. And they have those patches on their jackets which add more credibility.

Last edited:

I would chalk this up to a "not my problem" issue. I avoid using the brakes anyway because Beta is cool and usually effective, but I won't over-use the brakes just to save the company a little bit of money.

Most airplane manufacturers do not want you to use heavy breaking. We are only talking about carbon brakes here.

Latest resources

Back