• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BRAC Rumors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No kiddin' Albie, the realignment really suprised me too. Not that I'm in touch with the AF anymore, but losing the vipers and the light grays @ MO really suprised me. Who thought up the idea of a composite wing anyhow? Great idea! I think it was the same insightful general that changed the flight suit. Plus , I had no idea AK was getting Raptors. Looks like the Guard units are getting a great deal -- Do you still get flight pay if your a Predator pilot? YGBSM.
See Ya

Hello,

I was really surprised about the closing of Otis ANGB, but I guess they wanted to put an ASA facility in Hartford closer to NYC metro area. I was thinking that Otis was in about the best strategic position of any interceptor outfit on the east coast.
What is the AF plans for pure-interceptor (Air superiority) units in the future? Will the Gaurd be recieving F-15C/Ds and retiring the A/Bs that they have been flying? Looks like we have decided to go to the absolute minimum for continental air defense.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead (and AF brat 60s-70's)

Another ironic point in the BRAC report...

In the mid-90s, ANG units were struggling to "mainstream" their units away from pure air defense (units like Fresno, Duluth, Great Falls, Ellington) into multi-role F-16 units that could rotate in and out SWA rotations for OSW and ONW. This was done to A) do the right thing and help active duty and B) try to insure a future role and survival of the unit.

If you read how some bases were "scored", the ability to provide Homeland Defense was a big factor in keeping certain bases open. What a change 9/11 and a few years can make...

As Fox3 alluded to, Gen McPeak wanted a "composite wing" at Mt Home and was a huge fan of the concept. Like SO many other AF ideas (moving mx to fighter squadrons, new flight suits, etc etc) this idea has now gone full circle back to where things were 20+ years ago.

I wonder who will be promoted in 2015 proposing ideas first developed in 1984?

Hey Albie,
God, how I couldn't stand those "McPeak" changes the AF did to the uniform! It was bad enough when they got rid of khakis in the mid-60s! (My Dad was USAAF WWII, and retired USAF in 1973 with 30 years, so he liked the khakis). Ironically, Gen. McPeak and Gen. Fogleman were in the same F-100 outfit in Viet Nam. However, their ideas on running the Air Force were alot different.
The composite wing idea was flawed, because it is a logistical nightmare and very expensive to operate. The Expeditionary air wing is a better idea, but is that still a viable doctrine today? I've been retired from the military and have kind of lost touch on things these days. However, with the proposed withdrawls from Korea and Europe. The Air Force will be facing a major problem in how to deploy and operate it's forces. It would seem that strategic airlift/tanker support and civil engineering (Red Bull/Prime Beef) will be an area that re-capitalization needs to take place. Very challenging era ahead for the next generation of AF leaders/planners.
I have to admit a little bit of bias toward Otis. My Dad was stationed there twice 62-66 and 70-73. I basically grew up on the base and alot of my fondest memories are of waking up to the sound of airplanes at the flightline just a couple of miles away from the housing area. My Dad flew the EC-121, C-54, EB-57 and T-33 at Otis, but I really loved the F-101 and later when the Mass ANG moved down from Logan they flew the F-84, F-100 and F-106 (THE ultimate single-seat fighter ever flown by the USAF IMHO). So, I am a little sad now that Otis is loosing it's flying mission for the USAF, but I guess that the radius of action for the F-15 dictated the move.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead (USAF brat 60's/70's)

Does this mean you have to move CC or can you commute?

I transfered units a while ago, pretty lucky I guess. It's too early to tell what the guys at Otis, and all the other Eagle pilots will do.

Remember too, that BRAC doesn't happen 1 week after recommendations are posted. The whole package will get argued over, tweaked, and only then activated.

Once activated, the process takes time. A guy less than 5 years from retirement at a BRAC unit might still be able to retire without having to make a move.

Is the Coast Guard base at Otis gonna stay?

Otis is only the AF side of the field. The other side where the Army and Coast Guard live goes by a different name. I doubt the Coast Guard will leave, too busy rescuing fishermen, but someone’s going to have to pick up the snow removal bill.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back