BRAC Rumors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pkober

This is the week for the first BRAC announcements. The DOD is saying they will release the info on Friday, May 13th. Friday the 13th. Good sense of humor.

Any rumors or leaked info yet?

CLAMBAKE

RUMINT: expect the announcement on 12 May, to avoid the implications of "Friday the 13th".
Remember: SECRET / NOFORN / NOSPOUSE

I bet all the pentagon spouses know exactly who is on the list!!

CLAMBAKE

Not a military guy but I am interested to see how things shake out too. I think it's safe to say there won't be any base closures here in Michigan. Raco, Kincheloe, Sawyer, and Wurtsmith were already closed in previous closures. Now all we have is Selfridge ANGB, itself formerly an AFB. Also a few joint use National Guard bases (Battle Creek, Grand Ledge, Alpena, Grayling)

I work in the Building and I can't find out 'nothin...except that it's not going to be as bad as envisioned given Rummy's desire to consolidate back in CONUS. Just rumored but with the joint push to consolidate bases, the RC may be especially at risk at places where consolidation is doable.

i work at Red River Army Deopt in Texas and we hear rumors EVERY day about this. we just hired 300 people to support the Bradly,hummer, and hemmet. now we are just about out of parts. we had a 3 star come through the other day and he said that we are in it for the long haul and he would be getting us part support through AMC.
we never know, you know how things are with the goverment..

Syracuse, NY, is converting from Vipers to Predators. Egad! I'm at work so can't get the links thru the filter, but google Hillary Predator Syracuse.

I'm still betting on Barbers Reopening. Please don't let it be true!
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/May/11/ln/ln07p.html
scroll down....

[font=Times New Roman,Times,serif]Reopen barbers point?[/font]

[font=Times New Roman,Times,serif]Sen. Dan K. Inouye, D-Hawai'i, has said that as part of a possible plan to base a carrier here, the Navy could spread the ship's aircraft among several Hawai'i bases. That could include the Barbers Point Naval Air Station, closed in 1999 through the BRAC process.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman,Times,serif]Defense expert John Pike, director of GlobalSecurity.org, a defense and security Web site, said it is "entirely possible" that the Defense Department's recommendations could include a change this time around to allow Barbers Point to be reopened to some degree.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman,Times,serif]Hellman also said it was not unprecedented for military bases that have not yet been put to good reuse to be reoccupied by the Defense Department or other federal agencies.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman,Times,serif]"I don't know what Barbers Point has got out there, but if they have flown planes in and out before, they have the basic infrastructure to fly planes in and out again," he said. "It's certainly not inconceivable."[/font]

Last edited:
Rumor is there are one of three things that can happen to a base (guard base that is)....
1) switch to predators
2) close down completely
3) plus up to a real 24 PAA squadron like we used to have in WW Cold War.

...don't forget:

4) Close in name only and come back to life as a reserve "enclave", maybe even busier than when it was an "active" installation. Like March AFB, Fort McCoy, etc.

Latest resources

Back