• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BRAC Rumors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That reminds me of the earlier BRAC when they needed to get the number of fighter wings in the 1990s down to 13 or so from 26. To the untrained eye, a reduction in fighter wings should mean a reduction of fighters....but wait...why give up the fighter squadrons when you can make "super" wings. Why feel constrained by having only 2 or 3 squadrons in a wing? Lets just keep the same number of fighters and cram them into fewer locations......does Luke AFB come to mind? What do they have now?......9?...10? F-16 squadrons under one wing? I think in the mid 90s Luke was deemed to be the 4th or 5th largest air force in the world!! More fighters there than PACAF and USAFE combined!!
By the way...I'm not complaining.

My Predictions:

1. ANG/AFRC Fighters get hit the hardest:
A. Go to heavies
B. Go to UAV's or
C. Close

2. ANG/AFRC unit become reverse associate unit. ANG/AFRC airplanes with attached active duty units.

3. A few ANG/AFRC C-130 unit lose airplane to the AD, since there Herc are in such bad shape.

Just my opinions. I hope no ANG/AFRC units close, but I think it's gonna happen.

CLAMBAKE

pkober said:
Just my opinions. I hope no ANG/AFRC units close, but I think it's gonna happen.

I can see AFRC units moving towards the associate concept. It's already happening at Langley, Shaw and Eglin (plus the AETC thing).

I would be surprised if any ANG units go away due to BRAC. That's a constitutional thing that way above our paygrade. I can see ANG units switching to other systems like Predator (which is happening as we speak). States would fly "rubber dogsh!t outta Hong Kong" in a Sherpa if it meant unit longevity. Look what happened to the Georgia dudes. From Eagles to Bones to JSTARS!!!! WOOHOO!!!

Last edited:
TALON,

Exactly, GAANG is a perfect example. ANG airplanes with both ANG and AD crews flying them.

You're right, it does take an act of congress to close a ANG unit. Remember that Rumsfeld is NO friend of the Guard. I think he would love to close some ANG units.

CLAMBAKE

Shocked!

I am shocked to hear about the SYR unit. Have they completely stopped flying the F-16?
......9?...10? F-16 squadrons under one wing?
Luke is a big AFB, but those F-16 aren't real 24 PAA squadrons, are they?

I too am concerned about the ANG. The states can complain all they want, but if the AF stops paying the bills, and removes the controlled grades, consider the unit closed.

The worst decision they can make is closing Miramar.Not hearing the sounds of jets in San Diego would be sickning.

I hate to predict it, but I bet Miramar is toast. There is plenty of room in lovely Yuma for everyone. Anyone want to bet on Meridian's fate?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back