• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BRAC Rumors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Madison, WI, and Selfridge are out as Viper bases (I think). Ft Wayne bro told me there were plussing up to 24 PAA (with Block 30s) and Springfield and Terre Haute were done. Ouch.

Richmond (VA Guard) is transitioning to F/A-22s...already have one guy in training at Tyndall.

The really big surprise was the closure of the submarine base in New London, CT. Also, was kind of surprised that they are re-inventing the wheel by moving Navy Officer Candidate school BACK to Newport, R.I.! And, Walter Reed is also closing. with activities consolidated at Bethesda to create a National military medical center.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

psysicx said:
Miramar made it I think there are going to be a lot of happy Marines.Who wants to go to Yuma anyways.

Happy or not, not closing Miramar (not to mention an incredible waste of cash as each member costs a small fortune in COLA and BAQ) was a mistake and a disaster for San Diego in trying to find a new airport site. Which neighborhood in flat lying land do you think will volunteer? Ocean Beach? ... Hmmmm....

The local politicians shouldn't be dancing in the streets as they are. The harsh reality is that San Diego needs a second runway. Let them explain why to the neighborhood that gets cooked - Chicago Style - for that runway.

Why should the Marines be blamed for the cities bad planning?When they built that airport they knew they were going to have to expand it .Why not close North Island they have plenty of room for runways and expansion?

I decided to be nice, edit my post, and to hold my opinions about the North Island comment to myself.

Last edited:
I'm not saying cloes NI.If you really think they would move the airport to where Miramar is your crazy.It would be one giant housing tract like El Toro.

Alaska loses A-10s, Vipers, and 1 squadron of Eagles? Mt Home becomes F15E heaven?

Goodbye to Vipers at SD, Richmond, and a host of others....

Goodbye Eagles at Portland, St Louis, and Otis.

Eagles move to Atlantic City? Man...I couldn't have picked a lot of those calls....

psysicx said:
Why should the Marines be blamed for the cities bad planning?When they built that airport they knew they were going to have to expand it .Why not close North Island they have plenty of room for runways and expansion?

They built in in the 30's and have been trying to move it since the 70's. Miramar should never have been given to the Marines to begin with, it should have been closed several years ago in the last BRAC. Politicians prevented it then, they can answer for it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back