• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Binge Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the activities of man are the sole cause of the average temperature rise of the Earth, why is the average temperature of Mars also rising?

Gee.....must be the Sun. The thing that warms the planet. Could it be that big bright thing causing Global Warming. A whole degree over 100 years. Wait, can't be because Katie Couric said it was mankind. Many scientists believe the Sun is the cause of "Global Warming", not binge flying. Also, to respond to one on the 1st page about CFC's, did you know that one volcanic eruption produces more "CFC's" than we all could in a life time.

Back to topic, kind of, I like the Mars comparison, very true and well said.

Here's the problem with all those tree huggers that say they want alternative energy:
Nuclear. Oh, no, not in my back yard.
Wind Turbines: not in my backyard, ugly, they kill birds
Solar: Ugly, too expensive

Every solution gets knocked down to the point where we have no other choice but to keep using oil and coal.
So, tree huggers, what are your solutions????????

"tree huggers"

You should talk to a european. Overall they view environmental concerns as a challenge. We talk in immature sound bites. But i'll be the first to say there are uneducated hippie types that do more damage than good to real environmental issues.

Solutions:

Necessity is the mother of invention. If we believe the media and conventional wisdom of FoxNews, we'll never believe it's necessary to change. Money and energy will never be invested. Since the energy crisis in california- solar has received new attention - and $$-- You should see the advancements that are happening. It really is moving in the right direction. Who doesn't want wind turbines? I like em... Got a few in my 'backyard'

Why so angry though? You're the one arguing for fossils... I should be pissed at you.

Max

I agree that there is global warming to the tune of 1 deg c over a 100 years. As I stated before, making the jump to the conclusion that man caused it is what makes me wary of the hysteria. I mentioned the last ice age, and that it warmed up afterward, which makes me think that we may be a little arrogant about our impact on the climate. I am skeptical about a theory that says when it is really cold or really hot it is because of global warming. Or if there is more rain, or more droughts, it is because of global warming. I am skeptical of a theory that seems to think that a few degree change over a long period of time ( a hundred years or more) is going to bring catastrophy. The history of Earth is one of violent changes, and wide variation in climate. Somehow life continues.

That in no way means that I support more coal burning power, or think that we should be wasteful. I simply think that the CONCLUSION that man is to blame for the 1 deg c change over the last 100 years is myopic with regard to the history of earth.

It's not the change-- it's the rate of change that is much different than the rest of history. It's the correlations to changes in man's activities that is causing all of this.

You are right though-- the earth will be alright- but how will we be? While you're not sure++ there is that study in the movie that i'm sure none of you watched- In the media- 50% of the articles show that global warming is in doubt- .... In peer reviewed scientific journals- 100% show no doubt that man is causing a global warming at a rate that is unprecedented.

Like i said- I'm no scientist. But i'll not be so arrogant as to listen to the media instead of the experts.

Well duchess boy you are right I am smarter than you but I have 8000 hours now so that makes me even wiser.

Look Kido no offense. I'm sorry your thin skinned - the personal attack was uncalled for(I admit) however, I think the point is we need to change our behavior - no we don't have to do it overnight we have the next 20 years to get busy so don't worry about it going too "fast" I want to keep flying and I am sure we will. Don't fall for the Fear mongering this is a problem that when tackled will actually strength us as a world.

In any event the Global warming debate , unless you are a brillant blue collar worker who has loads of experience such as us blue collar pilots, is over. Let's let the experts work this out no one likes an arm chair quarterback.

Go back to sponging off your parents for your over priced education. Darn another personal attack. Sorry man.

I think my case is strengthed by some of the foolish responses that are coming back except for the wave man and a few others.

Max Powers,

You are rigth, we have some time to work on the issue, but the problem is, that the powers that be, try to shove it under the rug. Bush and his advisers doesn't believe it is happeneing, the bloviator Kennedy fights againts a windfarm in his "backyard."

Back in the 70's, when the western world was held hostage by OPEC, we talked about making changes, for purely economic issues, but we did not and once again, in a lesser or worse way perhaps, depending on your point of view, we are once again being held over barrel.

This time, we should work on a real change, not only would it reducing our dependence on energy from the Middle East, it might actually be good for the enviroment.

Want to see what happens when enviromental concerns are thrown out the window and only profits matter, then take a look at China! It is not a pretty picture in their industrial centers.

Global warming is happening, we may not be sure as to why, but indications certainly are, that man has something to do with it. Should we acknowledge this in a meaningful way or do we go about bussiness as usual?

Last edited:
Well put, Bobby B. . . . . and Max, your statement that "the debate over global warming is over" indicates how much you still need to learn . . . . about the subject, and about life.

Max

I agree that there is global warming to the tune of 1 deg c over a 100 years. As I stated before, making the jump to the conclusion that man caused it is what makes me wary of the hysteria. I mentioned the last ice age, and that it warmed up afterward, which makes me think that we may be a little arrogant about our impact on the climate. I am skeptical about a theory that says when it is really cold or really hot it is because of global warming. Or if there is more rain, or more droughts, it is because of global warming. I am skeptical of a theory that seems to think that a few degree change over a long period of time ( a hundred years or more) is going to bring catastrophy. The history of Earth is one of violent changes, and wide variation in climate. Somehow life continues.

That in no way means that I support more coal burning power, or think that we should be wasteful. I simply think that the CONCLUSION that man is to blame for the 1 deg c change over the last 100 years is myopic with regard to the history of earth.

You fail to see my logic and attack me because I fly a duchess? I must be a freaking retard because i don't have 6000 hours like you. All those hours flying made you sooo much smarter than me on a completely different subject.

I am sure I am not smarter than you just more experienced. And until you have the experience your just another Einstein without a clue.

So go work on your theory as the rest of us make a living knowing what we are doing. And when you get enough experience to have a clue make sure you tell all your captains your a Riddle graduate and who your daddy is as you will really gain the captains respect. And don't forget to tell him about Flight Team.

Last edited:
Well put, Bobby B. . . . . and Max, your statement that "the debate over global warming is over" indicates how much you still need to learn . . . . about the subject, and about life.

Why is that TY? You love to tell me I know nothing which is fine but at least back it up. Every well respected article or scientific study I read says GW is a problem. Now if you watch the brillant and smart all knowing Bill O'Riley than perhaps you got a great point I mean that guy thinks GW is not as bad as people make it out to be and he used to be an anchor on Current Affair. WOW.

Look find me someone (not senator Inohof) who is reputable and respected who thinks GW is a complete farce and you might have a point. And the guys in Da Tranny's training dept that think CRM is a part on the female body don't count either.

Latest resources

Back