Binge Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Phaedrus

Mark Ellingham, founder of the Rough Guides and the man who encouraged a generation of travellers to pack a rucksack and explore the world, has compared the damage done by tourism to the impact of the tobacco industry.
Ellingham now says travelling is so environmentally destructive that there is no such thing as a genuinely ethical holiday. He wants the industry to educate travellers about the damage their holidays do to the environment. The development he regrets most is the public's appetite for what he calls 'binge-flying'.

Uh, OK.

I get a big chuckle over this whole "Global Warming" hysteria. . . . . here's some other hysterias that I can recall or have read about:

1) The "Population Bomb". . . . in the 70's, it was thought that overpopulation was right around the corner. By now, we should all be dead, or living a "Mad Max" existence.

2) Nuclear Winter . . . . in the 1980's, instead of celebrating the death of Disco, and the end to the leisure suit, people worried about a nuclear fall-out-induced barren, meaningless existence.

3) The "Great Depression of 1990" . . . . remember ol' Ravi was so certain that you should "Sell everything, get out of stocks NOW! There's a huge Depression coming, one the at will make the 1929 crash look tame!" . . . looks to me like the Stock Market has more than quadrupled since then.

4) The Red Scare of the 1950's . . . . Joe McCarthy, and there's a Communist hiding under every bed.

5) Of course, this board's favorite: "Spikey-haired-back-pack-touting-Oakley-wearing-FO's-cheered-on-by-the-hatless-are ruining the profession".

Feel free to add your own.

Anyone else care to add their own?

8) The whole y2k computer crisis.

People prepaired for that thing for years and built bomb shelters and stuff. I laughed my arse off when nothing happened.

OK, I will bite on this one. Explain how Global Warming is hysteria? There is conclusive scientific data by reputable scientist throughout the world that this is currently happening as you get your chuckles. While your at it please let us know how your feeling about DRONES in Commercial Aviation. This should be GOOD.

I agree that it is hysteria. There are two issues here.

1. The earth is warming. There is some scientific data that would show that the earth has warmed slightly less than 1 deg C over the last 100 years.

2. Man caused it to get warmer.

It is the jump from 1 to 2 that I think is the hysteria. The computer models used to project all the future warming don't include things like cloud cover(because we can't predict cloud formations, because we don't understand them), don't include precipitation (because we don't have any idea how much precipitation falls on any given day), or any number of things that have a tremendous impact on climate. By the way, wasn't there an ice age before the industrial revolution? Didn't the earth get significantly warmer after that? I am just saying that there is some historical evidence for significant climate change outside of man's impact.

Binge Flying?

I thought you were talking about those JetBlue guys trying to fly more than 8 hrs a day. Now that's binge flying.

Latest resources

Back