• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LANKAN4

IS IT TRUE BIGSKY AIRLINES IS UNDER NORTHWEST LINK
AS OF 09/26/2002. AND THEY ARE STILL GOING TO FLY GOOD
OLD METRO 3/23.

Seems to me that this is yet another recent example of how NOBODY in this industry is safe. Management will always try to find the cheapest labor. Doesn't matter if you are a regional or mainline. As long as there is somebody out there willing to work for less money........

Everybody seems to focus on the mainline's problems with regard to scope, job outsourcing etc., but looks like "regionals" are starting to take a hit as well: Comair loosing their base in MCO, Eagle and the "connection" carriers, Mesaba and BigSky, Coex management's statement that they were "investigating" the feasability of a different carrier out of Houston (not 100% exactly sure on the specifics of that one), the issues at CCAir/Mesa/Freedom, etc. etc. etc..

Even the "national" airlines now are entering the picture via AirTran and their new "regional." They may think right now that it is a good thing (and maybe it is), but give it some time......all you have to do is read the thousands of posts on this site to see that it very well could come back to bite them in the rear, scope clause or no scope clause.

Good luck to everybody, we all need it.......

Even the "national" airlines now are entering the picture via AirTran and their new "regional." They may think right now that it is a good thing (and maybe it is), but give it some time......all you have to do is read the thousands of posts on this site to see that it very well could come back to bite them in the rear, scope clause or no scope clause.[/B]

Not for one minute do I think AirTran chose Air Whiskey for it's "cheaper" labor costs. Compared to most out there they are one of the highest with a good ALPA contarct and excellent pay. Given the start up time frame for Air Tran JetConnect, it is probably fair to say that AirTran had a purchase order for the CRJ's and were looking for a respect and reliable operator for them. Try and get a CRJ at short notice!

AirTran have made it clear that they have wanted to do this for sometime as they want to expand the longer haul markets and use the717's on markets that require them, rather than flying lower pax loads at their expense. It will also allow them to expand into markets that they have not been able to purely for logistics reasons.

Yes you do have to look out for those offering lower costs, and just who are they? They are the non-union Freedom Air types and management who feel they can and should ride rough shod over everyone else. This is the cancer that should be stopped.

The move will only turn out strategic if the Big sky folks cave in and fly the jets for less than Pinnacle...That would be an absolute joke!! Stay true to your fellow man in this one.....It's gonna be a barn-burner!!

If Big Sky in non union, then they don't need to agree to squat because Mesaba Holdings will TELL them how much they will make.

#1 Bigsky has been around since 1978 they are not some upstart.

#2 BigSky is Union/ not ALPA but they are union.

Last edited:
I heard from a friend who is a Big Sky pilot. He said that they are going to agree to the contract. They either have a choice, to possibly go down if they don't or build a better airline if they do. Mesaba Holdings is a good thing for them. For Mesaba Airlines, probably not. Big Sky will grow fast probably. Big Sky will not become an airlink operator from what I know. They will be seperate and that will allow Mesaba Holdings to expand them as much as they want. This will be interesting.

Well, I guess I could've said not to fly the jets for less than US or anyone else, but you and I being Airlink was the easy pick. I am the first to jump on the wagon and say that Mesaba is a disease to be steared clear of...unfortunatley...At one time it was THE place to shoot for..Growth and No pay for training. The mear fact that your airline NewSouth was mentioned was a point of reference.....So relax....Most everyone is very glad to see y'all growing, especially being an airlink partner. As far as pay goes, not even gonna go there. I hope you make more than a SAAB driver. Geesh. Relax and breath deep, I wasn't attacking you or your airline....UGG....Doesn't this downsizing of Mesaba look familiar to you NewSouth?? When we hit our growth spirt you all downsized big time....Gotta love the higher powers....
GOD It was so peaceful on the combine!!!!

Ease up New South,

Once again Mesaba's contract is 8 YEARS OLD. So comparing payscales of contracts is not relevent.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back