Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Big Sky

THANK YOU!

Regarding #2: BS will NOT fly ANY established Mesaba routes??? Are you sure about that? Wow, perhaps some good news for a change.... And it sounds like Holdings is expecting a strike (soon?) which isn't surprising but not to jump to conclusion, you said "the strike" so it implies we are going to strike and Holdings is planning way in advance.

#3 Regardless of what Holdings/NWA plans to have you fly, BS will grow, whether it be Metros, Dash 8s, or CRJs. That is Paul Foley's intent of the purchase. To operate a "low cost operator" and profit BIG time (and to use those profits to go buy another airline in 5-7 years). But since you mentioned BSA will not fly Mesaba routes, I wonder where the growth/expansion plans to be if not in MSP, DTW or MEM?? I know NWA has airlink "affiliates" out of NWA hubs: LAX and BOS...... hmmmm Was Pinnacle ever mentioned???

#4 It's ironic that ALPA ignored BSA because you are too small but now with everything at stake I bet ALPA will be knocking at your front door in Billings assuming the contract is signed.

#6 I apologize for coming off harsh and bitter in my earlier posts. I didn't mean to threaten any BS pilots directly. The majority of the XJ pilots are POed and morale is at its lowest I have ever seen. But solidarity seems to be the only thing keeping us together and focused. We welcome any airline to fly alongside us, as long as our jobs and livelihoods are not threatened, especially in time of our furloughs while Holdings plans to grow another airline. I'm sure by now you have seem a glimpse of how Mesaba Holdings and NWA operate and it ain't a pretty sight.

Please keep us informed, as we are completely in the dark about this as probably BSA is. thx

Last edited:
MESABA2425 IS A MEMBER OF THE MANAGEMENT TEAM!!!!!!!

Please disregard what he has to say. Whatever it might be he will try to drive a wedge between Big Sky and Mesaba.

For all of the pre airline folks that are trying to get into the airline industry. These are the kinds of people that will be your supervisors.

Big Sky folks, be aware of anyone that claims to be a Mesaba Pilot with a register date after AUG 2002. Welcome to the Mesaba Aviation......I mean Holdings fiasco.

Hey Mesaba2425 why don't you stop criticizing T-Handle. I promise you he speaks for all of the Mesaba pilots. Maybe if your management buddies would share some info with us we wouldn't need to vent on this forum but untill that happens this is the best way to get the word out so lay off. We don't need your management propoganda here. We get enough of that from Foley and his cronies when we are at work.

We have pilot furloughs and employee layoffs while management gets raises and bonuses. We expect them to run an airline.

Now that we know where all of management's salary increases/bonuses are going: spending time on aviation forums and messing with us, we can file a violation of Status Quo.

Last edited:
Big Sky

I've been flying for a few days and will try and get some hard copies of contracts, pay scales, and other things that are at the top of my head.

I have no idea where we are going to expand but RUMOR has it that Delta is pulling out of several routes in the Northwest and that is a likely place but I don't really believe it.

AS I UNDERSTAND IT...

Big Sky's maintenance is holding up things. They have not agreed on the contract for them. Don't know what is holding them up.

Nothing has been posted officially about the pilots vote but once again still keep hearing that it passed with no problems.

I will try and post more hard contract stuff tomorrow.

(Thanks for apologizing T-handle)

Big Sky

Talked to one of our guys here at Big Sky and he says that your head of the Union has a copy of Big Sky's contract. I think he said his name was Tom Worley (sp) but I'm not sure.

1. First year captain in an rj at Big Sky will be 50.21$ or so. (if we get rjs) Goes up approximately 3% after that.
2. FOs start around 20 something bucks then 2nd year goes up to lower 30s.

Big Sky contract highlights....
Metro FO and Captain pay in order of years....
17.02$ 29.24
18.89 31.49
20.74 32.34
22.60 33.22
and so on and so on...

We were paid during training and put up in a hotel. Some classes doubled up on rooms and some didn't but I think it's pretty standard for now.

We have 401K

1 year training contracts for FOs and Captains

72 hour monthly guarantee

reserve is 4.41

If on reserve and fly you into scheduled day off you are compensated 3 hours or trip length, whichever ishigher.

Draft is 130%
Premium is 115%

Duty Rig--"A pilot shall receive one hour of pay for each two hours "duty time" as defined blah blah blah

Per diem effective Jan 1 will be 1.40. (1.35 now)

Training per diem will be 1.40 Jan 1.

Paid for extra legs on our flights

Reimbursed 40$ for medical exam and ekg

If our trip cancels for wx or mx we are still paid.

Captains flying first officer positions are paid capt pay.

Deadhead will receive fifty percent flight pay for the scheduled block time of the deadhead.

Vacation at 3.38 per month
After 5 years it's 5.08 per month

Sick time at 4.0 per month

Holiday pay at 4.41

We have part time pilots. Not too common in the industry I think.
Pilots that have been with company for more than a year and give 2 weeks notice can remain part time, meaning they can get a job at Polar and then go find out they don't like being away from home then come back and work for Big Sky. Nice thing to have and relatively common around here.

Pilots get 175$ initially for uniform allowance and 100$ for each year after that.

That obviously wasn't everything but some of the highlights.

I haven't heard anything else in awhile about Mesaba and RJs and all that good stuff. I'll let you know if I hear something.

hatchetjack

Thanks for the numbers! The bigger question the Mesaba pilots want to know is: will BigSky being flying Mesaba (or even Pinnacle) established routes and/or current XJ airplanes(Saab or Avro)?

You had posted something earlier about it and there is an unconfirmed rumor at the Mesaba ALPA msg. board that there was a "last minute" deal/clause throw in just before the contract was signed.

Wow....if those were the highlights I would hate to see the drawbacks.

Big Sky

To my understanding we are not going to be flying any of your routes. Also haven't heard anything about flying Saabs or Avros. Everything seems to have quieted down here lately. No new rumors flying and things have kind of died down.

Not much else to report on this end.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back