Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RE: Deleted Post

Bigbuck,

Yes, a post was deleted. You didn't miss much anyway.

Big Sky will not become an airlink operator from what I know. They will be seperate and that will allow Mesaba Holdings to expand them as much as they want.

If Big Sky does not become an Airlink operator their expansion will have to be in form of a turboprop alliance with another carrier. If this is the case Mesaba Airlines will not be affected much by Big Sky. I belive this to be an unlikely scenerio though. Under current scope no carrier that NWA has ownership interest in may operate 'regional jets' unless they are operated in NWA colors.

Personally I think that Big Sky would have all of their Metros retired and commence CRJ operations out of MSP, MEM, and DTW under the NW Airlink brand as there is no need for RJ service out of Billings. Having a single fleet type will increase profits and doing all gound service under contract will simplify administration and reduce overhead. Having such a disconnected employee group will also play in managements favor.

Mesaba Airlines will move Saab flying out west to aviod expensive early lease returns on under utilized Saabs thus giving NW a greater presence in the northwest with very little risk (EAS contracts and code shares with other majors).

There is office space in MSP designated in the blueprints for a unnamed carrier down on the Airlink end of the terminal.

BigSky recently shelled out major bucks to secure a deal with the Port of Olympia in Washington State. There concern was to insure RSM between OLM, YKM and GEG with the State Govt largely targeted. Last I heard from family living there, ink's dry and WA shelled out some dough for improvements to get BSA to commit. Supposed to start service sometime early Oct. Mesaba should take it in the shorts with less than 19 seats filled on an RJ or SAAB particularly when the state legislature is out of session. Where is Mesaba going to get the aircraft for DFW Ops? They haven't flown Metro's in years. Are they still on the certificate?

Boise based Mesaba SAAB Crew... I am there... Where do I sign?

Last edited:
info

CaptBuzzard said:
I heard from a friend who is a Big Sky pilot. He said that they are going to agree to the contract. They either have a choice, to possibly go down if they don't or build a better airline if they do. Mesaba Holdings is a good thing for them. For Mesaba Airlines, probably not. Big Sky will grow fast probably. Big Sky will not become an airlink operator from what I know. They will be seperate and that will allow Mesaba Holdings to expand them as much as they want. This will be interesting.

Captbuuzzard,

Any chance your friend could share some info? Dying to find out how much the Big Sky pilots are making right now, and what, if any, pay rates are established other than 19 seat turbo-prop. What kind of work rules do they have, any trip guarantee, trip/duty rig, min day, vacation, etc. And lastly, when did they sign their last deal and when is it amendable?

thanks

CWASaab,

Ha, CWA Saab will be obsolete here shortly. Why don't you change your name to "displaced out of CWA with 3 weeks notice, Mesaba FO's take it in the shorts again and again and again, soon to be looking for a new job" There is such a wide selection.

MEM guy looking for a career change.

CWASaab,

I can't remember what the pilot's get paid at Big Sky. I guess it is right at industry standard for 19 seats, which isn't much. However, with being aquired by Mesaba Holdings, they will have a new contract. He said that it will probably be better than what they have now, but even if it isn't, if they don't agree to the new contract then the deal won't go through I think. He said that all of the pilots are going to go with the new contract that they get whatever it may be. They really don't have much of a chance to say no if they want their jobs. Mesa has already taken their DFW routes and he said there were rumors that they wanted to come up north and take Big Sky's northern EAS routes. Now with Mesaba Holdings aquiring them, Mesa won't have the resources to steal Big Sky's routes. Good move for Big Sky. I will talk to him again about some of the other benefits and things and hopefully be able to answer more of your questions.

still looking for updates

Simon Says,

Well, CWA rules, so no name change in the works. Being forced out sucks, but a chance to fly the ARJ is nice, and so is the pay. My time at CWA will be remembered fondly. After 5+ years the CSAs actually seem to like us (well, some of us), even though they don't seem to like any pilots. Its like having a real big extended family, but then again you know all about that... And while it is a twisted and dysfunctional family, RHI was only more so, right?

Did you make the burn-down-the-house (and whatever else ignites) bash at the 'compound'?

Capt. Buzzard,

Still real curious about what Big Sky is making right now and what they have for work rules. The time frame for approval was pretty short, so I am also curious if they have voted, and if the membership voted or if only the elected leaders vote.

As I said before any info is appreciated.

CWASaab, Forever.
(ok, nowadays its more like any base but CWA, being on reserve stinks, especially when they can't use you in your own base)

PF bought a 3 million chip at the bargaining table. Lets see them use it.

Last edited:
All right- here's the deal from the Big Sky end.
First, none of us asked for this situation. We were told directly by management that the future of the company would would be in question if we didn't do this. As posted above, it is true we lost our EAS to Mesa in DFW. They low balled us something fierce down there and every indication is they will come up here and do the same.

Almost all GQ pilots see this deal with Mesaba H. as simply the ability to continue. I will believe RJ's when I see them. They are at best a minimum of 2 years away, and EVERYTIHING is going to be different 2 years from now.

I love the posts about "peanuts and water", and my favorite, the one about sending some guys to "knock" some sence into us. What kind of sense would that be? To quit, and go stand in line with the other 6,000 out of work guys wishing I could make peanuts and water?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back